Start by marking “Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #15; Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #20)” as Want to Read:
Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #15; Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #20)

Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch #14)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  29,017 Ratings  ·  2,136 Reviews
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch is off the chain in the fastest, fiercest, and highest-stakes case of his life.
Fortune Liquors is a small shop in a tough South L.A. neighborhood, a store Bosch has known for years. The murder of John Li, the store's owner, hits Bosch hard, and he promises Li's family that he'll find the killer.
The world Bosch steps into next is unknown terri
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Nine Dragons, please sign up.

William Definitely read them in order of publication, but ... in my rarely humble opinion ... skip the ones which do not have Bosch as the primary focus. The…moreDefinitely read them in order of publication, but ... in my rarely humble opinion ... skip the ones which do not have Bosch as the primary focus. The books which focus wholly or mostly on McCaleb, McEvoy and/or Haller just don't work for me at all.(less)
Vickie Because he is involved in this story. He appears in it, but it's near the end.

Carol
The Hook - Continuing to read my way through the Harry Bosch Series.

”All of that changed on the day he was introduced to the daughter he didn’t know he had. In that moment he knew he was both saved and lost. He would be forever connected to the world in the way only a father knew. But he would also be lost because he knew the dark forces he faced would one day find her. It didn’t matter if an entire ocean was between them. He knew one day it would come to this, that the darkness would find her
Esil
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Michael Connelly fan. I usually like the social or political settings for his books, and find the plots intricate and intriguing. However, this book did not work for me. The whole part set in Hong Kong felt aimless, uninteresting and verging on stereotypical depictions of people living in Hong Kong. Also, there was more violence (one event in particular) than seemed unnecessary or that I would usually expect in a Harry Bosch book. I hope things pick up with Connelly's next book.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
My Plan was to make this book last at least four days. HA! Who was I foolin'?!
Day 1: 135 pages
Day 2: 190 pages
Day 3: 50 pages
End of story. I just couldn't help myself!

Connelly cranks up the interest and excitement in this one by taking Bosch to Hong Kong for a big chunk of the book. And with his own daughter as the kidnapping victim, he's prone to tunnel vision and poor judgment calls he wouldn't otherwise make.

I loved the Hong Kong venue for a nice change. I got to learn a little about tha
Jonetta
Harry's investigation of the murder of an Asian liquor store owner in Los Angeles leads him to Hong Kong in a race to save someone very dear to him.

While this wasn't one of my favorites, I still found it hard to stop listening to the story. There was a recklessness about Harry that I hadn't seen before and it had some devastating consequences. My instincts about the case ended up being dead on though I didn't get everything right. Len Cariou did an excellent job in narrating given the internati
Rob Kitchin
I’m a Michael Connelly fan. I own a copy of just about all of his books. They are generally superior fare amongst the bestseller lists, but Nine Dragons, I felt, was one of his weaker offerings. The story felt rushed, with prose that was workmanlike and flat. And the plot was weak, feeling like two shorter stories jammed together. The part of the book set in Hong Kong, in particular, seemed to lack life, depth and credibility. There was a particular event that happens that is described as if it ...more
Jim
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This didn't blow a lot of wind up my skirt most of the time. Oh, I never got bored or disliked it, but I'm not fond of Len Cariou's narration as compared to the earlier guy (Dick Hill?). His weighty words make a police procedural read like a police report. The story was typical Connelly, though. All the facts, several theories, & Harry doggedly pursuing the leads. This one had quite a bit of excitement & the ending was just mind bending.

Other characters in the series take part, so it's i
Obsidian
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
Well this is one of my least favorite Bosch books. We get Bosch just bumbling from the beginning of this book to the end. We have Connelly get rid of two characters we have been following for a number of books now in completely (IMHO) stupid ways, and I don't know, I think Bosch is just casually racist towards Chinese people. I also didn't get a sense of Hong Kong at all while reading this book. I felt like Connelly watched "Knock Off" a few times, visited Hong Kong, took a couple of terrible pi ...more
Richard
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
6/10

One of the weaker outings in this series with Bosch travelling to Hong Kong and channelling his inner Liam Neeson for a third of the book and the action hero that he becomes doesn't suit the series.

There are a number of things that work well, it's a Bosch book after all! The usual crime to be solved in the LA environment, Bosch methodically working the case, a Mickey Haller cameo as a treat. But smack bang in the middle is an action movie and it detracts from what the series excels at.

By t
Eric_W
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When authors with a successful series and a well-defined character take that character out of his/her normal environment, to a foreign country, say, where he performs spectacularly, you know the book is about to go off the rails. The only explanation I can come up with is that the author wanted a trip to whatever country where the new mystery takes place and wanted a tax write-off for the trip.

I like Michael Connelly and the Harry Bosch series. This one, while a fast-paced read, as are the othe
Robin
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
A new homicide case has Harry Bosch investigating the death of a Chinese man who owned a liquor store. It seems like a robbery gone wrong, but Harry's investigation points to a Chinese triad (gang) connection. When Harry and Detective Chu make an arrest in the case, Harry receives a video of his daughter, Maddie, who has been kidnapped in Hong Kong. Harry drops everything to go to Hong Kong and rescue his daughter from the hands of the triad.

Another entertaining Harry Bosch mystery from Michael
Eric
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Harry Bosch series
Positives:

- A cool cameo by sleazy defense attorney Mickey Haller.
- Incidents from this book (view spoiler) should push Bosch's character development further in future books.

Positive or negative, depending on your perspective:

- The middle third of the book was basically a retelling of the Liam Neeson movie Taken.
- Less realistic than most books in the series; it read more like a
James Thane
9 Dragons opens with the murder of John Li, the Chinese owner of a liquor store in south L.A. Connelly's long-running protagonist, Detective Harry Bosch, is assigned the investigation and quickly concludes that the murder is more complicated than it might initially appear on the surface.

Displaying his excellent skills and dogged determination, Bosch discovers that Li had been paying protection money to one of the ancient Chinese triads that now operates in the United States as well as in China.
Amy
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first 5 star book I've read in over 2 months, so first off, THANK YOU MICHAEL CONNELLY!

I read this book in about 4 hours today which is a lot faster than I usually read Connelly books. Usually I like to savor them slowly, analyze all of Bosch's moves, and then realize I love his character SO much that I want him to come to my house so I can cook him dinner and cookies and talk to him all night. I come to this same conclusion after reading each Bosch book, and I really think he is one
Alex Cantone
There seemed to be no uniformity of walking to your right. People moved every which way and Bosch had to pay attention to avoid collisions. At one point the people moving in front of him suddenly stepped left and right and Bosch almost stumbled over an old woman…

Harry Bosch is called to the murder of the elderly Chinese owner of a liquor store in downtown LA, teamed with detective David Chu of the Asian Gang Unit. The store owner has a gun he was unable to draw and in his dying moments he hides
MaryG2E
The story opens with Detectives Bosch and Ferras called to a liquor store killing in a poor part of town. The victim is ethnic Chinese, John Li, and the detectives quickly work out that he was paying protection money to a Chinese triad. Harry sends some of the images from his cell phone to his daughter Maddie, who lives in Hong Kong with her mother, Eleanor Wish. Shortly afterwards, Maddie disappears, and Harry suspects the triad is responsible, applying pressure on him to abandon the case of Mr ...more
9 Dragons is #15 in the Harry Bosch series. I have been reading them out of order, but I don’t really feel like it detracts from any of the books as each can really be read as a stand-alone. In 9 Dragons, I found out how Harry’s daughter Madeline came to be living with him in LA, so that was great to finally put the pieces together.

This book starts out in LA when the Chinese owner of a local liquor store is murdered. Harry is on the case, and with his daughter living in Hong Kong and the local l
Jane Stewart
4 stars. Weak on character development but entertaining and engaging. More action/adventure than previous books.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:

THE NEGATIVES:
This book does not have enough character development for the villains and Bosch’s sidekicks (his LA semi-partner Chu and his Hong Kong helper Sun Yee). It reads more like a movie script than the previous Bosch books – lots of action and suspense. Some of the things I loved in the previous books were Bosch’s thinking and actions, unexpected and unusual
Aisling
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers but I am gutted to give this five stars. It absolutely deserves it as a book but in the Bosch universe....well, it would not have been my choice to do what Connelly did. As usual Connelly writes a fast moving but deeply human book with great twists, action and human drama. Love these books. But still, gutted....
Lisa
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
L.A. police detective Harry Bosch is trying to figure out how to deal with a gun-shy partner while unraveling a fatal shooting at a liquor store. As he pulls together the clues in the hardworking immigrant’s death, he begins to uncover a web of threats and payoffs connected to “triads,” Chinese organized-crime groups.
But when he gets a video message from his teenage daughter’s cell phone apparently showing her kidnapped and then a creepy phone call telling him to back off, the case gets personal
Lauren
Nine Dragons
3 Stars

While investigating a routine homicide with apparent ties to the Chinese Triads, Detective Harry Bosch finds the case hitting a little too close to home when he receives threats and his daughter, Maddie, is kidnapped in Hong Kong. Will Harry be able to find her in time?

Harry Bosch is definitely my favorite of all Connolly's protagonists. Nevertheless, his portrayal in this installment leaves much to be desired, and it might be that the series has passed its prime.

Harry's char
William Bentrim
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9 Dragons by Michael Connelly

Harry Bosch is once again on the ropes with his peers. Harry seldom plays well with others. There is a murder, Harry takes is personally. The results involve Harry and his family, the cities of LA and Hong Kong and a diverse cast of characters.

Connelly always does a nice job setting the stage. Bosch is a hero who is hard to like. Prickly doesn’t begin to describe him. Harry’s passionate love of his daughter is one of his few redeeming characteristics. I found my sel
Freda Malone
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Holy crap! In addition to the blurb, I have a couple of things to add. Nothing in this book is what it seems at first glance, and this is the first book that has shocked me to the core. There are lessons to be learned here and Bosch presents his share of them as he rushes to save the one person he holds closest to his heart, Maddy, his daughter. Like a bull in a China shop, Bosch is disastrous in this crime story and I was biting my knuckles the whole time! One hour later, and I'm still saying " ...more
❆ Crystal ❆
5 stars. This was a great mystery, and quite the nail-biter at times. I was in shock of how they solved the case. It felt a bit rushed at the end, but it didn't detract from how I felt about the book. I thought it was amazing and enjoyed every single second.
Guillermo Jiménez
Venga, pues. Brutal. No soy asiduo a los bestselleristas, pero el Connelly tiene fuelle. Tiene oficio. Una escritura bien cebada para contar una buena historia.

Tiene la paja propia de las historias que buscan crear tensión, muy bien lograda, a ratos incluso desesperante.

Mientras la leí me preguntaba dónde estaba lo "grande" que decía papá. Sí vi lo de sus demasiados adjetivos. El amor de amantes, el amor de padre por sus hijos, el desgarramiento, la distancia, entre padre e hija. Pero lo grande
Cecilia Quick
Kelly ...
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
This book reads a lot more like a Jack Reacher book than a Harry Bosch book. I found it read a little more like a spy novel than a mystery.

It also seems to inspire readers to love it or hate it. When I read the reviews they seem to be raves or roasts. I guess I come down on the side of the rave even though it is a bit of a departure from the normal Bosch I love so much. This book has big twists and surprises that I will not spoil but those twists are part of the reason I love this book so much.
Miriam
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-crack
I love Michael Connelly's books. They are the first ones I pick up when our new manuscripts come in and I must say that this is the best Harry Bosch I've read! We learn lots about Harry's personal life because of his personal connection to the crime (his daughter has been kidnapped) as well as about Hong Kong and Asian gang activity in Los Angeles. I can't recommend this one enough. I'll have galleys soon. Stay tuned!
Phrynne
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining and gripping read. Harry Bosch has personal issues in this one which make him lose his cool and make a few mistakes along the way with at least one tragic result.Michael Connelly always makes his books very readable and unputdownable as they race to their conclusions. This one is no exception.
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
Wow! This was an action packed mystery thriller with so many red herrings that I could have made a meal out of them. Bosch starts off by investigating the murder of a liquor store owner that is presumed to be a robbery and ends in shootouts in Hong Kong. The final ending took me absolutely by surprise. A great thriller that also involves a final cameo with Haller aka The Lincoln Lawyer.
Matt
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
One of the issues with reading Connelly's series one by one, instead of all books in chronological order (even if the former makes sense in most cases), is that you sometimes know things or do not know things that fans of his work discover with sequential reading. I discovered that this was the case, especially in this book (and in some of the previous ones, with Rachel Walling, who bleeds over into one of the Mickey Haller books as well). I knew of the main 'happening' that occurs in the latter ...more
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 8 5 Jul 07, 2017 04:06PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 7 4 Jul 07, 2017 11:55AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 5 5 Jul 07, 2017 11:40AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 4 Jul 07, 2017 11:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 7 4 Jul 07, 2017 11:30AM
  • Chasing Darkness (Elvis Cole, #12)
  • Wicked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #19)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #18)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)
“All his life Harry Bosch believed he had a mission. And to carry out that mission he needed to be bulletproof. He needed to build himself and his life so that he was invulnerable, so that nothing and no one could ever get to him.

- "Nine Dragons" by Michael Connelly”
2 likes