Start by marking “Trouble with Lemons” as Want to Read:
Trouble with Lemons

Trouble with Lemons

Tyler and Lymie, eighth grade misfits, discover a dead body in a quarry and work to uncover the mystery behind it.
Published June 22nd 1992 by Fawcett Books (first published July 1991)

Alyssa Nelson
The Trouble with Lemons is a young adult/middle grade coming-of-age mystery from the early 90’s. It focuses on Tyler McAllister, a boy who suffers from severe allergies; his mother just had them move to a small town, because she thinks it’ll be better for him; however, his mother and brother are both in the movie business, so his primary caretaker is a nanny, which causes some concern with the principal of his high school when he starts getting into trouble as he attempts to solve the mystery of ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
I read this teen novel in junior high, and I enjoyed it very much. I would recommend it for anyone aged 11 to 14.
Michael Beblowski
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember being assigned The Trouble with Lemons for eighth grade English, probably because the novel made passing references to Albany, New York and also had a wry protagonist suffering through middle school and a murder mystery. Frankly, I am surprised that middle schools do not have higher fatalities, because those were not the best years...From a stylistic perspective The Trouble with Lemons is composed mostly of sentence fragments and dialogue. Other reviews praised Daniel Hayes for his at ...more
Janitzia
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Danielle Sanzone
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a good book for teens. I had the author as a high school English teacher. He's a great writer.
Richard Haas III
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: high-school
I had to read this for an accelerated reading program at my high school and I remember not being too particularly excited to read it but ultimately I was able to enjoy it. I just didn't understand if 8th grade bully, Chuckie, was supposed to be a student, gardener, or both. But that's a light criticism. Maybe I miss read it.
Christiaan Osborn
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good story

This is a good mystery story. I read this for class and finished it 5 days. This is a good book
Yingfang
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
P24 the trouble with lemons 车经常拿去修,这里好了,下次又是另一个地方。类比自己,不能trade in a kid on a new one.
Made in the shade, 完美情况, 如意
Use enough soap, you can practically scrub all your troubles and worries away.
Chris: 暖心哥哥, 关心陪伴,how I feel, if I am happy
In a second i am going to let you go, and 如果你还想还手,没问题。 但你得先告诉我什么事让你烦心。 但说过之后, 我并不烦他。
Mrs. Sauces: good boy, when it came to the big things , the things that really matter. 不要认为自己是这世上唯一一个不完美的人, don't take things too seriously. 不要自责, 有亿万种方法普通,, you are normal, and you
Angela
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-2010
Twelve-year-old Tyler McCallister is a “lemon.” He’s allergic to almost everything, suffers from nightmares, and lives in the shadow of his mother and brother, both of whom are famous movie stars. He can’t even manage to sneak out of the house for a midnight swim without finding trouble. Normal kids don’t swim into dead bodies while skinny dipping in the quarry! But Tyler does, and he reports it anonymously. Now he is obsessed with solving the puzzle of how it got there.
• Mild language
• Narrativ
Carolanne Strong
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this in seventh grade English. It was alright, but I was in love with the boy on the cover. I thought he was the hottest guy I'd ever seen. I spent almost as much time memorizing this picture as I did reading the book. Oh, to be 13 again! The only thing I really remember about the story was that his mom was a movie star and she complained about how her son always left a ring in the bathtub.
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book for school. I loved the mystery side of it. I love how the book started out with action and mystery that just pulled you in. I did not expect a lot of things and I did expect some things. I think the author made the outcome too obvious. You basically know the whole time who was the murderer. You just don't know how exactly he died. Overall though, it was a great book with emotional and serious concepts in it.
Heatherberkebile101
It's an exciting story about a kid who gets mixed up in madness... when his school's janitor BooBoo goes missing. But, he thinks that the principals kids were the ones that did it... so the question is... how is he going to go about turning them in? He is undecided. Finally, he tries to tell the principal, and he thinks he is going inane! What will the kid do now? will Mark and his brother come beat him up from trying to turn them in?????
Colleen Babowicz
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while taking a YA literature class. The instructor had the author come into our class for a Q&A session as he is local to the Capital Region.
He's a school teacher that got inspiration from his students. I enjoyed this book a lot, compelling main character. Thought I would give support to a local author. :)
Kat Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is so important, when crafting a character as heavily affected by trauma and an uncomfortable family situation as Tyler is, to toe the line between believable and obnoxious. I did find Tyler slipping into the latter territory a couple of times throughout this book, but, all things considered, that's not entirely unexpected. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Anna
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Age:9-12

Young adults really enjoy this book because they can relate to many of the sub-topics. It is fun and a good insight into pre-teen mindset.
Uses: Literature circles, journal response, family relations, death, friendship, truthfulness, child/adult relationships, decision making, prediction
Mia
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Picked this up on a book fair too. I never would have thought that the story would be so different from what I've thought based on the title and the cover page. It does come true, the saying that you should never judge a book by its cover.
Sue
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jr high summer reading. i actually liked this. it had a gripping story that made you want to keep reading it to see the resolution to the mystery. not sure if we have any of the other books in the series, but may be worth looking in to.
Emma
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly good book! It wasn't one that I would have picked out to read on my own, but I liked it all the same. It kept you on the edge wondering what was going to happen, but the ending was somewhat disapointing.
Sara Booklover
Feb 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, mystery
La trama è fiacca e inoltre non è assolutamente un giallo o un thriller, ma è incentrato principalmente sui rapporti del protagonista con i compagni di scuola e con la sua famiglia, con un piccolo mistero che fa solo da contorno e che si rivela deludente e banale.
Katie
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classroom-books
Reading this since I've assigned it to my English class for read. It's just a slight bit challenging for them but not so much that they lose interest. They're pretty enthralled with the dead body and some of the character depictions, especially that of Buster and Tyler and Lymie!
Amelia
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Actually very good! At first it was hard to get into, but after I got into it I went from page 16 to finishing it in one day.
Gayle
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a coming of age book about a teenager that thinks of himself as a 'lemon'. It is done with humor and Matt really enjoyed the book as the boys got in trouble and solved a mystery.
Sarah Oleyourryk
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I teach this with my AIS crew…it's a great novel that reaches a lot of interest levels with some pretty much non-readers. So far, it's been a hit each time I've taught it.
Santiago Dejesus
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think the book has lots of mystery with it. I really love this book so much, it's great for a class novel.
Samantha
Rating and review to come.
Arnav Kamath
Sep 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
BORING
Demonduckofdoom
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
What happened to the plot?! It could've been so good but the author didn't focus on the mystery aspect of it.
Jenny
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cover definitely brings me back!
21/25
Carina
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes good twists
Recommended to Carina by: I had to read it in school
It was a very good book. It had twists in it.
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • Blood Trail
  • The Ghost of Cutler Creek
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • The Long Weekend
  • My Daylight Monsters (Mary Hades #0.5)
  • The Oracle Rebounds (The Oracle of Dating, #2)
  • Missing Judy
  • Jumping the Nail
  • The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild, #1)
  • A McCree Christmas (Chasing McCree, #1.2)
  • Gasten (Pax, #5)
  • Mr Mumbles (Invisible Fiends, Book 1)
  • Katakombens hemmelighet
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)