Start by marking “The 30th Candle” as Want to Read:
The 30th Candle

The 30th Candle

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  155 ratings  ·  34 reviews
“Ok, who is this guy? You said he’s not married, so if you’re knocked up, you have to tell who he is,” Linda insisted.

Thirtieth birthdays loom… Skeletons come creeping out of closets… How will this birthday end?
Linda has just cast off yet another lover, while Dikeledi can't seem to pin her fast-talking lawyer down to talk about marriage.
Nolwazi has a secret – one she can
Published July 1st 2009 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The 30th Candle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 30th Candle

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The 30th Candle
Ntombezinhle Nzama
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My attention was captured from start to finish! What a great start to my year! The story is about 4 friends (Linda, Dikeledi, Sade and Nolwazi) who have known each other most of their lives. As the story progresses we get to see that there are a lot of things happening in their individual lives that they dont want to share. Sooo much drama! I loved it! 1st read of the year!
Fezeka Motsogi
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book in less than two days. I was concerned with how simple the writing is but as I got into the story I realized that this is a typical girl story and I decided that I am gonna continue reading it. I found some bits of the book to be cheesy, especially when almost everyone in the relationship got married. I love how the characters developed, I enjoyed seeing the colorful characters portrayed through the pages. The story is simple enough to be read as a high school set work. It felt ...more
Selogadi1 **********
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting wonderful well written book about the lifes of a young four women.
Shireen
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh my word! What a fun, steamy, intriguing read! I could not stop turning pages!! Angela, your so talented!
Gadifele
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
A good read. Should be read by all young women around 30 years of age...
Lesego
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read...beautiful I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to laugh cry and just enjoy the book. Well done on this one Angela...keep them coming you have my support!
Gamelihle
Sep 28, 2009 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: all single ladies
Recommended to Gamelihle by: Nobantu
I just cant put this book down - the drama! I love it.
Mpho Bernadette
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing and captivating read!!! I absolutely could not do anything until I finished the book. It's like the South African version of Sex and the City. The author is a good writer but she is not so good at creating images for the reader. She mostly sticks to the story and as to the little details that make the character more of a person, they are quite lacking. For example, some of the places she was referring to, like Sakhumzi, could have been described better. Her style of writing is ...more
Smangele Belebesi
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The book shows the ‘power’ some women tend to give to men when it comes to relationships. How some women let societal pressure and age push them to letting men get away with otherwise unforgivable acts. How sometimes women lose themselves and who they are in order to ‘fit in’ and ‘fitting in’ it means appearing as if one has it together, as if there is a perfect balance between life, love, career and spirituality. I absolutely loved going on a journey with all these characters. Angela is a very ...more
Khensani
I totally love the book, its a light reader and i have already recommended the book to my friends.
Pp
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent read, kept me up till the early hours of the morning.
Zozo Mogoera
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Should have read this before I turned 30.
Vuyo Gqola
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favourite authors.
I loved this book. Excellent read. Could not put it down.
Nicky Ramarumo
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoying the book so far.
Jackie Mondi
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great, believable storytelling and the drama never ends.
Tumelo Motaung
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
"You go through life with these huge blinkers and a huge sign saying "I'm thirty, I'm terrified. Please come, anyone; come and rescue me 'cause I'm spoilt goods."
October saw over sixty women accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexual abuse, setting off conversation all over the internet in the form of the hashtag #metoo. I, for one, spent days on end observing the scene; reading articles on sexual violence, testimonies from victims, watching as claims were rubbished, victims blamed, observing the silenc ...more
Morongwa Serurubele
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Title: The 30th Candle

Author: Angela Makholwa

Publisher: Pan Macmillan (2009) *Pages: 328

Genre: Fiction

“The 30th Candle” by Angela Makholwa gave the best of what a South African female author can give, but it also reminded me that I did not blew my 30th Candle.

Unlike most thirty year olds who feels pressured on nothing-to-show-for-it syndrome, when the phase found me, I was busy pooping babies like a pop-corn machine and nothing really mattered at that time because I had my degree under the be
Nkhensani
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to finally get to read an Angela Makholwa book. This one in particular has been just out of reach for me for some years -I guess now, with my own thirtieth birthday not so far away, I felt ready.

This a story about four friends on the brink of 30: they've had eventful lives up until now, but it seems the turn of this decade brings with it a lot of upheaval.
Secrets long-held burst into the centre of everyone's lives, leaving the women to ask themselves some very important questions. Lo
Mmathato Sangweni
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an amazing read. A MUST read for every lady, i just couldn't put the book down.
From the diverse characters the friends are to the events that take place. In as much as love is always said to win, i could say the same about true friendship. I mean look at Dikeledi and Nolwazi at the end... AMAZING
Melanie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Zanele Ngcobo
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the book over two years or so ago however I still reminisce of the girls friendship. How the book captures me from start to finish I was glued to the book in such a way that I finished it in 3 days. Such a fantastic well written, light hearted book.
My 1st introduction to the authors books.
Bahati Books
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely deserves to be a movie, it can't just stay as a book.
Vuyokazi Ngqebe
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So enthralled! Loved the easy style of writing. I was captivated from start to finish.
Tabularasasam
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book!
MaHlongwane KaMasumpa
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down.
Kananelo Sebati
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a fun, light hearted read this is a great book to read. A reminder that it always works out in the end.
Juliet
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: amazing-reads
I looooooooove this novel

I read it twice, when I was in grade 11 about three years back and again in November 2015. It's fantastically beautiful and so South African, I love it. I love that Angela Makholwa didn't try write in an Irish/English/American style but stuck to her roots. I felt so at home for once while reading a great novel.

Each character has their flaws and golden points (not many for Sade though lol).
So you have Dikeledi who you feel sorry for in the beginning, she has a terrible
Lucratia
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It took me two years to actually continue past the first chapter...sad, I know...but the uptake on the book is a bit slow. It's only once you've really been roped in that you start enjoying the book. I read this and am rating it how I would any book regardless of the country and race...but I must say how proud I am that this was written by a black female from South Africa. I really love how real the plot is to normal South Africans especially in their early thirties...ala me!!!

What I did not lik
Makubutu Lekota
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I read from chapter 1-5 over the space of 45 minutes in the reading area of Exclusive Books Bloemfontein the character depictions of four characters Linda, Nolawzi, Sade and the Dikeledi.

I found the book interesting,high in its quality of English and I thought that all the characters were describe rather well, I would recommend this book to young adult youth, African by birth right.

The writing style is easy to follow and really paints a good direction of the life struggles of the different pers
Babalwa
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Ermh i dont know really a 3 or 4, cant really decide. A chick-lit read, its about 4 friends who are turning 30. All have different personalities and different approach to things. I could relate with some characters and its a funny story with a happy ending. I didnt find anything insightful though, like i said the characters are like people around me. Its worth reading.

• The Ones with Purpose
  • We Need New Names
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Around the Way Girl
  • Naira Power
  • Worth the Wait (Guthrie Brothers #2)
  • Fit (Fit Trilogy #1)
  • A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
  • You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance and Living Your Purpose
  • Bassie: My Journey of Hope
  • We Are The Ones We Need: The War on Black Professionals in Corporate South Africa

News & Interviews