Start by marking “Complete Poetry” as Want to Read:
Complete Poetry

Complete Poetry

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This volume of Keats's powerful poetry follows as closely as possible the chronological order of composition, highlighting autobiographical elements including the young Wilde's conflicting attitudes to Greece and Rome, pagan and Christian, and his fluctuating attraction to Roman Catholicism. The Appendix shows Wilde's original ordering, constructed with great care around a ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Poetry

--By the Arno
--Rome Unvisited
--La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente
--The Dole of the King's Daughter
--Αἴλινον, αἴλινον εἰπέ, τὸ δ’ εὖ νικάτω
--The True Knowledge
--Impression de Voyage
--The Theatre at Argos
--Urbs Sacra Æter
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is there I can say about Oscar Wilde apart from him having been a genius?!
I love his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray but also his poetry of which we have a collection in audio form here.
His poems are masterfully crafted, beautiful, packed with meaning and emotions and the narrator of this little collection, Sean Barrett, did a spectacular job!

This has always been my favourite one (apparently, Paul's too):
Her Voice
The wild bee reels from bough to bough
With his furry coat and his gauzy w
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'... Sweet, there is nothing left to say
  But this, that love is never lost,
Keen winter stabs the breasts of May
  Whose crimson roses burst his frost,
    Ships tempest-tossed
Will find a harbour in some bay,
    And so we may.

And there is nothing left to do
  But to kiss once again, and part,
Nay, there is nothing we should rue,
  I have my beauty,—you your Art,
    Nay, do not start,
One world was not enough for two
    Like me and you...'

- Extract from 'Her Voice' by Oscar Wilde, 1881

Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woo hoo! So that's a wrap on Oscar's poetry. I can't believe that I read every single verse that my trash child ever decided to publish like whuuat? Unsurprisingly, I adored some of his poems, and loathed others. Poetry is always hit or miss for me.
But the life of man is sorrow
And death is a relief from pain,
For love only lasts till tomorrow
And life without love is vain.
Oscar's poetry is very different from what I expected. Before going into this I didn't consider that the Poems were one of the
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm speechless. His words sound like a very melodious symphony and you never want it to end. The last poem "Glukupicros Erôs" is one of the most beautiful thing I have ever read.
Lidia Mascaró
Okay, so... next to his prose and play-writing - some my most cherished literary works in all of existence - I simply can't reward his poems the same rating as them (four stars), hence the three stars given.

Here's the thing: I personally believe that Wilde is one of the best story-tellers out there, especially, (and I cannot emphasize this enough!!!) when it comes to intricate and scrupulous characterization. For me there is absolutely no question; he is The Genius of characterization. Capital l
Francine Maessen
Being chauvistic about Britain + Dreaming about Greece + Using the same mythological references over and over again = Apparently this book. Some parts became a bit tiresome after a while. But I am impressed with the perseverance Wilde shows with some of the longer poems. Like, those were really, really long.
the great gretsby
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
there were some parts i didn't quite get (lots of mythology) but other than that, this is absolutely beautiful! oscar wilde is the best :')
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to the nature of this book this review cannot be the whole story but taking separate pieces and and an overview and some of the thoughts and feelings it invoked in me I hope it will give a general impression.
I read The picture of dorian Gray earlier this year and loved the 'poetic' way Oscar Wilde wrote so it was only natural I should go for a book of his poetry as my next foray into his work, I wasn't disappointed.
Oscar Wilde born Dublin Ireland 16/10/1854 was a proponent of the Aesthetic m
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Brilliant, esp. "Reading Gaol", which is heartbreaking and beautiful.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics

Chiedo umilmente perdono a Wilde per una valutazione tanto bassa, ma io da queste poesie proprio non sono riuscita a farmi trascinare, mi hanno davvero sfiancata e fatto sbuffare ad intermittenza. E ne conosco anche il motivo: sono datate! Non tanto per le interminabili e ripetitive descrizioni della natura (poveretta, chi se la fila più?), quanto per i temi religiosi e mitologici. Componimenti fitti di riferimenti alle divinità e alle leggende, incomprensibili se non pe
Caesar Min
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old,
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.

Some love too little, some too long,
Some sell, and others buy;
Some do the deed with many tears,
And some without a sigh:
For e
Rao Javed
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
More like a combination of Milton and Keats but I wish Wilde was more of himself.
James F
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Not in this edition, but in Oscar Wilde, Complete Writings [Nottingham Society, v.7]: Poems [ed. 1909; written between 1870-1898] 345 pages)

I picked up Wilde's writings because his novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray, is the reading for one of my groups for next month; but I got sidetracked reading his poetry. I have not read much of Wilde before. He called himself a pre-Raphaelite, and the poems are obviously influenced by that movement, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and especially Algernon Swinburne.
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I decided to try reading this unsure what to expect. I had finished "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and figured I should try Wilde's poetry. i was not able to decide until I got to the last ten-fifteen pages.
As I read more poems, I would keep jumping from 2 to 4 to 3, and back to 2 stars. Then, I finally came to "The Ballad of the Reading Gaol". That was incredible! Reading a little bit of the introduction, I was expect this "political statement", then I found so many different layers to what Wilde
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, wishlist
What is there to say about words that move us as if we were the very letters that smoothly stir,
of poems that are so rich in description we find ahead of us the depiction as if it were our very own reflection in an undisturbed pond,
of the effortless rhymes that ever so swiftly dance on the tip of our tongues,
of the longing to taste each reference as if it were a memory of our own pasts?

Oscar Wilde reflects both the beauty and anguish he saw in the world through his work, and I am yet again le
Bob Hartley
I didn't know what to expect going into this, but I didn't expect Oscar Wilde to show so many marks of being a standard romantic poet. If he was alive today, his favourite band might be ABBA, because that was certainly his favourite rhyme scheme in the 19th century. For most of the way through Reading Gaol I thought it was supposed to be some sort of gaol for reading in or for detaining people who've read too much or something, rather than it being a gaol in the town of Reading.

But yeah, bit of
Marina Trajković
Jul 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good God! Flowers, waves, heroes, love saving lives, girls' dresses fluttering in the wind, ,,oh-s" and ,,ah-s" everywhere, rhyme as simple and expected as in children's songs....after all those unique, witty thoughts in his novel and plays, one would think they would find a deeper philosophy in Oscar Wilde's poetic works.....
Fiona Campbell
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-plays
From Panthea:

"We shall be notes in that great Symphony
Whose cadence circles through the rhythmic spheres,
And all the live World's throbbing heart shall be
One with our heart; the stealthy creeping years
Have lost their terrors now, we shall not die,
The Universe itself shall be our Immortality."

idk what even else to say rn
Joy Gerbode
There were a few poetic passages about nature that were truly beautiful ... but for the most part his odes to religious matters got a little old. And, of course, being poetry, you have to dig deep for the meaning and I really wasn't in the mood for that. So it was ok ... after all, he is Irish, and I bought the book in Ireland ... so it gets a place on my shelf even if I never read it again.
Faten Eassa
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And me and all the souls in pain
Who tramped the other ring,
Forgot if we ourselves had done
A great or little thing;
And watched with gaze of dull amaze
The man who had to swing..

For strange it was to see him pass
With a step so light and gay;
And strange it was to see him look
So wistfully at the day;
And strange it was to know that he
Had such a debt to pay..
Andy Chavez
If I didn't know any better I would have guessed Catullus or Sappho or some other Hellenistic poet wrote this collection. I was left wondering if Wilde just wanted to show off his obscure knowledge of history and mythology and package it up around some purple prose. That said, it was okay.
Rhian Pritchard
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read any of Oscar Wilde's novels, despite his reputation as a novelist and playwright rather than a poet. I was pleasantly surprised, therefore, by the quality of his poetry, and especially his way of conveying emtion.
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never been fan of peotry and Oscar Wilde's poetry - while it's very good - didn't make big impression on me.
Willy Miller
I would say as a collected works, not very good. As select poems, fairly decent. As select prose, damn good.

Mel Baggins
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un hermosos libro por el hecho de que Oscar Wilde encuentra el momento adecuado y las palabras para representar la situación.
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like any other piece written by this man, it is brilliant. Witty, inspiring, romantic. Although I prefer his stories and novels, his poetry is intimate and intense, and just as good.
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I especially liked The Sphinx and The Ballad of Reading Gaol.
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not always funny. 1
Mariam Abood
This was a lovely collection of poetry by Mr Wilde himself and I did a review on his entire collected works here:
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde
  • Best-Loved Poems
  • Dreams of Dreams and the Last Three Days of Fernando Pessoa
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • Women Who Write
  • The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde
  • Literature and Its Writers: A Compact Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • 101 Sonnets (Faber Poetry)
  • Confronting the Myth of Self-Esteem: Twelve Keys to Finding Peace
  • Convivio
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • The Eye of the Prophet
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“She is at rest.

Peace, peace, she cannot hear,
Lyre or sonnet,
All my life's buried here,
Heap earth upon it.”
“O we are wearied of this sense of guilt,
Wearied of pleasure's paramour despair,
Wearied of every temple we have built,
Wearied of every unanswered right, unanswered prayer,
For man is weak; God sleeps: and heaven is high:
One fiery-colored moment: one great love: and lo! we die.”