Start by marking “Healing Companions: Ordinary Dogs and Their Extraordinary Power to Transform Lives” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Animals are more complete than people. They are wonderful teachers, therapists and role models for us all. Read Healing Companions and learn about their ability to guide and heal us all."--Bernie Siegel, MD, author of Smudge Bunny As the more than 65 million dog owners in America will attest, there's something about the presence of a dog that inspires confidence, nurtures ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by New Page Books (first published January 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Companions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Companions

Jane Miller
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I wrote this book and highly recommend it to any dog lover. Read compelling stories of how psychiatric service dogs (PSDs) have transformed the lives of so many. You will learn all about the whole process of navigating through the intricacies of PSDs while hearing how others found their way through the obstacles. Enjoy.
Wendy Hollister
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
For anyone who is taking their dog through pet therapy or other service dog training, this book touches your heart.
Sarah K  Grundy
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Explores the value of the instinctive nature of dogs and how it can heal our spiritual and physical selves. Jane is a love and it reveals in her book. Keep writing Janie!
Deborah D.
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emotional support animals; Assistance Dogs
Recommended to Deborah by: Jane Miller
Shelves: read-dog, read-nf
Heartwarming and heart-breaking stories of the power of the human-animal bond a dog can provide someone dealing with any number of traumatic issues whether the trauma is emotional or even physical.

The power of that connection can help someone resurface from a stressful experience.

I have recommended this book to a couple people who have expressed interest in my raising of assistance dogs candidates. I use it as a good survey of the skills & functions of a therapy dog. There are many misconce
Mindset Self-Defense
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, animal lovers
"Animals are more complete than people. They are wonderful teachers, therapists and role models for us all. Read Healing Companions and learn about their ability to guide and heal us all."--Bernie Siegel, MD. Written by the leading expert in an emerging new field of therapy, Healing Companions is the first book to detail how dogs are increasingly benefiting those who suffer from a range of emotional ills, from eating disorders and anxiety to agoraphobia, depressions, and post-traumatic stress.
Jessica Miller
Good but not what I was looking for

I wanted to read a book more on training techniques to be able to train a dog to be a part of the therapeutic process. This was not that type of book. It basically helps you get a psd for your own personal issues. Great read tho to see how powerful canines can be in and out of the therapy room.
Carol
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a good book, and the case stories were especially rewarding to read. If you have trained a service dog before much of the information is common knowledge, but if you are looking to learn more about more advanced training for PSD's, as in my case this is not the book. The appendix is a bit long.
jo
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
review to come.
Cassidy
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookgroup, nonfiction
I love the concept and many of the stories, but the book is probably far more useful for someone who is actually going to get a companion dog.
Dayna Turner
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good read!

I loved the story and guidance given. I would highly recommend this book for those interested in service dogs and training them!
Laura Anne
Had to give it back to the library
Melissa
Jul 16, 2013
Amanda
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Healing Companions: extra listings 2 12 Aug 12, 2013 09:45AM
All About Animals: Healing Companions... book discussion here: 3 10 Jun 02, 2013 07:48AM
Jane Miller, a Licensed Independent Social Worker, committed to holistic modalities of healing is in practice as a psychotherapist/clinical social worker with her animal‐assisted therapy (AAT) dogs. She offers education about and client assessments for Psychiatric Service Dogs (PSDs).

Presently, focused on educating others about the legal, ethical, and practical criteria for benefiting from a PSD.