Start by marking “In Ashes Lie (Onyx Court, #2)” as Want to Read:
In Ashes Lie (Onyx Court, #2)

In Ashes Lie (The Onyx Court #2)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  415 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The year is 1666. The King and Parliament vie for power, fighting one another with politics and armies alike. Below, the faerie court has enemies of its own. The old ways are breaking down, and no one knows what will rise in their place.

But now, a greater threat has come, one that could destroy everything. In the house of a sleeping baker, a spark leaps free of the oven -
Published 2009 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about In Ashes Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Ashes Lie

Kelly
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Ashes Lie continues the story of the Onyx Court, a faerie city situated just below London, and the Court's dealings with London's mortals. Lune, who became queen of the Onyx Court in Midnight Never Come, reigns still. Her mortal consort, Michael Deven, is long dead. Lune has chosen another man to act as her official consort and liaison with the mortal world, but the role is political only.

In Ashes Lie follows Lune and her allies through the end of Charles I's troubled reign, Oliver Cromwell's
Margaret
In this sequel to Midnight Never Come, Brennan moves forward from the end of the Elizabethan era to the middle of the seventeenth century. As the book begins, the Great Fire of London is just starting, and humans and fae alike are battling its flames. But it isn't just the fire that threatens: Brennan flashes back to earlier in the century, when King Charles I fought with politics and soldiers against the Roundheads, and Queen Lune of the fae Onyx Court struggles for her throne as well.

_In Ashes
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It is 1636, the reign of Charles I and a time of upheaval in the English Parliament. With pressure from the Puritans, pressure against Charles Stuart's spendthrift ways and his requests for more money to fund his war in Scotland, the Commons is being manipulated by a few to put Charles on trial.

Sir Antony Ware, an alderman with a seat in the Commons, toes a fine line between Royalists and Puritans, trying to keep his seat long enough to do some good. For it's not just the mortals of London who
scarlettraces
history with a very thin veneer of novel, and i prefer *not* to have faeries with my history, thanks.
Shirley
Having enjoyed the first book in this series ‘Midnight Never Come’, a chance find in the library, I was delighted to see that subsequent books continue to take the reader through different eras of British history. The second book ‘In Ashes Lie’ moves the reader forward to the 17th Century: the time of Charles I, Oliver Cromwell and ultimately, in an exciting finale of which we have regular glimpses as the novel moves backwards and forwards in time, the Great Fire of London.

I could not understan
Lindsey Stirling
This was a good book though not as good as the first book in the Onyx Court series. It was (as always is the case with Marie Brennan) very well written and well researched but I think this may have let it down a little in this book. As a reader I often felt like I was detached from the action and was only ever hearing about political events in a second hand sort of way. These parts of the book really slowed down the story. Some parts of the book were excellent though and I liked how the structur ...more
Nancy O'Toole
In the mid 1600s England stands in peril. Above ground King Charles and Parliament fight for power. Below ground the faerie queen, Lune, struggles against dangerous adversaries. Together with Anthony, her human consort and The Prince of Stone, both hope to find peace for both the human and faerie England. But what will both sides be able to do when London is is suddenly set ablaze by a deadly and magical fire that consumes the city?

In Ashes Lie is the second book in the Onyx court series, follow
ambyr
There was, I think, a pretty good 300 page book buried in here somewhere. I enjoyed the historical fiction sections, although I'm not sure trying to throw the rise and fall of King Charles, the plague, and the Great Fire of London all into one book was a good idea. Unfortunately, the faerie sections were much weaker, lacking both a sense of the numinous and the complex politics of the mortal court. It's a bad sign when this devoted fantasy reader is skipping past elves to read more about Parliam ...more
Jim
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set a hundred years after Midnight Never Come in seventeenth century England, book two follows Lune, now queen of the Onyx Court, and Antony Ware, the human who rules at her side as Prince of the Stone.

As England falls into civil war, Lune must face enemies both from other faerie realms and within her own court. Her enemies attack the Onyx Court and London above. Intrigue and betrayal and would-be assassins, all leading to the release of a dragon who threatens to burn them all.

The historical det
Ari
I did not like this one as much as the first in the series. The author is trying something clever with the order of narration, intercutting a narrative of the Great Fire with several other narrative strands that lead up to it. I found it unnecessarily confusing and think it would have been better to keep more things in order, or at least to somehow signpost things better for the reader.

As in the first book, the gimmick is "English history from a mixed human/fairy perspective, with the humans as
Rosu Aquabutts
"It was okay."/"I liked it."

This is pretty much a 2.5 and I went to 2 instead of 3 because I rated Midnight Never Come a 3 and I definitely liked this less than Midnight Never Come.

The problem with this book is the same problem I have with most historical fiction: history has bad pacing. It just does. These books are FANATICALLY historically accurate, never changing the date on a single event, to try and create the illusion that this all could have really happened that way. It works really well
Maria
Marie Brennan's Onyx Court books make me love London and I'm not even a Londoner. I also lose a great deal of sleep staying up finishing her books. In Ashes Lie, the sequel to Midnight Never Come, was a rich weaving of history and fairy tale and also something of a story about a monarch's loyalty to her kingdom turning out to be more like love.

I really enjoyed the way that politics and history and fantasy intertwine. The narrative was woven in an interesting fashion that made the story more comp
George Straatman
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, my review of this novel will be brief...this is the second segment of the Onyx Court series and derives its central concept from the notion that a fae court mirrors the historical British court and the farie queen exerts a tremendous influence over the many critical junctures that were formative in creating the British Empire. That is a rather simplistic overview, but the notion is fundamentally sound. This is the fourth novel by Marie Brennan and I enjoy her writing more with each succes ...more
Michelle
The second book in the Onyx Court series jumps ahead in time from the Elizabethan era to 1666 and the initiation of the Great Fire of London. The story flashes back and forth between this momentous event and the events occurring during the reign of Charles I up to the Fire. Political unrest plagues both London and the Onyx Court and Lune is shown with her two consorts after the death of her human lover. Each is a political relationship, filling her promise to have a human by her side. The flippi ...more
Laura Martinelli
While Midnight Never Come was very much a “talky” book—a lot of the action and tension came from the dialogue and backstory—the follow-up was a much more action-packed and exciting read. While the sections switching off between the Protestant Revolution and the Great Fire of 1666 are a bit jarring at first, they seemed to flow better as you learned more about what was occurring in the previous chapter. One of my favorite things to read about in faerie books are the workings of the various courts ...more
Kate
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually enjoy books about the fey, but this was a nice bit of fluff. It deals with the fire of London, the Cromwell years, and mostly from a fey perspective. The Onyx court is a court that mirrors the English court, being situated under London. While I don't think Brennan's fey are particularly what I think of as fey, they are still interesting characters, and it makes a nice fantasy bit of fluff. In many ways, I enjoyed this more than the first book, as I found the human characters more ...more
Raquel
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic-n-dragons
I liked the first book in this series a bit better. This one starts rather slow, but gets really good in the last fifth of it. I struggled through most of this book to finish it, but the end actually makes me consider checking out the next one.

The dated entries style makes for a hard read as the writer gives almost no help outside those dates for the passage of time. Sometimes entries are on sequential days, the same day but different locations, or months later. I found I had to keep notes of t
Sue
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little too political for me but very interesting. I always enjoy stories that incorporate real life history with some sort of twist to it. She does it really well. I don't mind politics and royal court goings on but this one was very into it. It felt like I was in Congress at times. Also, Lune really got on my nerves. Another things was the way time passes in this book. The author has dome this in her other books but it distracted me in those as well. She marks the time period she is ta ...more
Scott
Nov 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, series
I didn't finish this book. Today is just the day I gave up on it.

It meanders slowly, and without a hint of me wondering what comes next. Brennan tries to do something complicated and tell a story of two times. And unfortunately, she fails to pull off this difficult feat, I'm not sure what she should have done better - made things more directly interact between the two ages; showing us how the decisions of 15 years ago led to the acts of today, but instead there are two stories here, and perhaps
Abi Harvey
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even before reading Midnight Never Come, I knew that I wanted to read the entire series, thanks to The Memoir of Lady Trent Series (A Natural History of Dragons, The Tropic of Serpents, Voyage of the Basilisk and In The Labyrinth of Drakes so far). So when Marie Brennan was selling some books due to moving house, I went and bought the copy of In Ashes Lie that she was selling! Obviously, once I finished Midnight Never Come, I started In Ashes Lie pretty much straight away.

Read more at: http://ab
Kaylynn
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
I thought a long time about why I didn't just love this book. It has a beautiful historical setting, political intrigue, and a fairy court, all things that I usually like. But I just wasn't ever able to care about the characters. I knew that Anthony's efforts were doomed, so I didn't feel any tension for him. Also, the fay were just too human. There didn't seem to be anything to set them apart from the humans, and I found that irritating. This is the second time I have started and not finished t ...more
Yvonne Boag
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
In Ashes lie tells the story of the London fire of 1666 and the circumstances that led up to that. As above, so down below and while King Charles battles the roundheads, Lune, queen of the fey of London battles her own rebellion.

Marie Brennan is a brilliant writer who lures you gently in with her gifted ability and doesn't let you go until the end. She takes on one of the most famous events in history and gives it a fantastic twist. If you haven't read this series and you love historical novels
Kass Rippee
I had a hard time finishing this one. Book 1 was a little more interesting, focusing more on the interplay with the human court of Queen Elizabeth. Book 2 has an entirely different human political ground and a slightly different fairie court. And the author bounced around from 1 time period to another without really explaining - so I had a hard time following. If there is or will be a 3rd book, I won't pick it up.
Cari
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bell curve is the best way to describe this book. It started off very slow and bogged down by the political history of the reign of Charles Stuart but then gained momentum and interest as it built up to a rather anticlimactic resolution and ending. Lune is a little more distant and less interesting in this sequel and I actually found myself missing the evil machinations of Invidiana. I probably won't read the third book in the series.
Shannon
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this but not as much as Midnight Never Come. There was definitely a lot going on in this book and I felt at times that it was almost too much, and the jumping back and forth between timelines didn't work as well in this one. Still, a solid read, and will definitely continue with the series.
Madeline
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every word that Marie Brennan has committed to the page, but this book didn't do it for me. I found the interjection of the Great Fire plot with the main story confusing and didn't really add anything for me. I struggled with characters just plonked into the action with no explanation.

Maybe I was just too tired to read it properly :)
Tammy
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great! I always wanted to be a history teacher and I love stories of the fae and fairy, etc. With this book, I get the best of both worlds - the history of London through the great fire and a wonderful story about the land under the city. Again, I recommend this book to anyone who needs a touch of the "real world" with their fantasy.
Kwilson3
I would give this a 3 1/2 if I could. I almost stopped reading it after reading about 1/4 of it, because of the mediocre quality of the writing. I'm glad that I persevered, because I found the rest of the book increasingly engaging. I enjoy fantasy and historical fiction, and this book blended both genres.
Victoria
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book MIDNIGHT NEVER COME, which was set in the court of Elizabeth I. It had a really interesting premise and wonderful characters. This book is too disjointed and covers too much human history to really have a narrative focus. I didn't care about the characters or the issues much. But Brennan can write some really great scenes.
Tal
an intertwined history of London and the Onyx Court below it, fae and mortals...the tale of the English Civil War, the Plague and the Fire of London...

a good mix of history and fiction, although the non-linear timeline got a little confusing.
Goodreads Librari...: Can someone tidy up this summary? 3 36 Nov 22, 2011 02:06PM
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • Stealing Fire (Numinous World, #2)
  • The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer
  • The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)
  • The Devil in Green (Dark Age, #1)
  • One Solstice Night
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
  • A Midsummer Tempest
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • The Isles of the Blest
  • Shadowglass (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #2)
  • All the Queen's Players
  • A Sundial in a Grave: 1610
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
  • Roanoke: A Novel of Elizabethan Intrigue
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • The Dubious Hills
  • The Drowned: A Tale of Mystery and Horror
Marie Brennan is the author of the Doppelganger, Onyx Court, Wilders, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series of fantasy novels. Sign up for her newsletter here!
More about Marie Brennan...

The Onyx Court (4 books)
  • Midnight Never Come (Onyx Court, #1)
  • A Star Shall Fall (Onyx Court, #3)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)