Start by marking “Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness” as Want to Read:
Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness

Broken Body, Healing Spirit: Lectio Divina and Living with Illness

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In the summer of 1995 Mary Earle returned from a vacation feeling refreshed and restored from her time away. A few days later, all that changed, when she was rushed to the emergency room with a case of acute and life-threatening pancreatitis. Being ill, she discovered, forces you to learn to live in whole new ways, ones often marked by limitation and fragility.

As a priest
Published July 1st 2003 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Broken Body, Healing Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Body, Healing Spirit

Elizabeth
I've actively read this book, sometimes a page or a paragraph at a time, for nearly three months, in order to savor it. And it's been absolutely wonderful. Earle's writing voice is centered, kind and nourishing, making the act of reading this text prayerful in and of itself. But the way she embodies the technique of lectio divina - and opens the practice up to use uniquely within the experience of chronic illness - has transformed my experiences of illness and of prayer.
Lee Pfahler
This was a great book for me to read mainly because I happened to read it around the time that I suffered a medical emergency and a so far undiagnosed illness which fortunately I have mostly recovered from. The lectio steps were helpful for me especially the suggestion to let other people pray for me when I was not able to.
Cherry
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. I enjoyed being reminded of the process of prayer called lectio divina. The idea of using that process and incorporating the body as the text was inspired. Reading the book and meditating on my body has helped me to be grateful for my body. I have been noticing the aches and pains of an aging body but Mary's book has helped me to focus on what's RIGHT about my body instead of on the few things that are not perfect.

Having recently met the author in person, I hear that same gent
Kathy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I expected. It was interesting to read once, with a few insights for living with illness, but it isn't the kind of thing I would use as a guide.
Joyce Barrass