Start by marking “Oh, Freedom!: Kids Talk About the Civil Rights Movement with the People Who Made It Happen” as Want to Read:

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
THE STORY:
In 1989, author Casey King was a 4th grade teacher in Washington, DC. His class, comprised mostly of African-American students, knew little about the modern civil rights movement. Without a satisfactory text on the movement from which to teach, he decided that the kids should learn their history first hand. So, he sent them out to interview the people who were re
Published January 28th 1997 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Freedom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Freedom!

Gabrielle
Hearing the personal accounts of everyday people who experienced the the civil rights movement brings this time in history out of textbooks, documentaries and time capsules to life. The writers conduct their interviews with remarkable thoughtfulness and with curious innocence. In the classroom the interviews will spark conversation around specific events of the movement and serve as a model for interviews in a writing workshop.
Amanda
Pairing and Overview: I will pair Oh, Freedom!: Kids Talk About The Civil Rights Movement With the People Who Made It Happen by Casey King with the movie 42. The film addresses a very specific part of segregation (and its demise), and this pairing would add to the scope of knowledge and experiences pertaining to the civil rights movement.

1. Book Citation: King, Casey. Oh, Freedom!: Kids Talk About The Civil Rights Movement With the
People Who Made It Happen. New York: A. A. Knopf, 1997.

2. Audien
Taneka
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, juvenile
Summary:
Students at St. Anthony’s Grade School in Washington, D.C. completed an assignment about Segregation and The Civil Rights Movement. To learn more they interviewed people that took part in the movement or knew someone that did. Kids range from grades 4-8 and their interviews have been compiled into one book. The interviews are preceded by background information about the different phases of the movement. Interviews included a former Klansman who is now a minister of an interracial church,
Katherine Fountain
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Freedom! is such an amazing book with an inspirational creation! As a future educator, I love how the fourth grade teacher encouraged his students to learn more about the civil rights through first hand accounts when he discovered the lack of quality texts on the subject. I love how this book includes so many real photographs--some disturbing--yet, all illustrating the good and the bad of the civil rights movement in America. I also love that the view points are from many different types of ...more
Codie Gates
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great concept for a book. The author, Casey King, sent his fourth grade class out to interview relatives and friends about the Civil Rights Movements. What I like about this book is that before each set of interviews, there is background history to the events. The material is easy to read and understand, something that is important in a teaching tool.

I also loved the interviews. The students really seemed to grasp what was going on during that time and felt the pain of the people who had
Claudia
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This book is amazing because it shows different interviews with people who were involved in the movement: Hispanics, African Americans, Asians, and Whites. It shows the different perspectives of these people during that time. In the book, the Latinos talked about education and a white man talked about being part of the KKK. I would definitely use this book for my students to read and see the different perspectives. It teaches us so much about racism and segregation and that it affects everyone, ...more
Lindsay Bunchman
This book is a fantastic teaching tool! It is a perfect addition to teaching students about Slavery, the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement, and the specifics of racist laws in the United States. This complex book contains detailed yet brief descriptions that provide background information on these historical events for students. The personal and honest accounts of the events from those involved make the text much more meaningful and memorable for students. Additionally, the real photos provid ...more
Whitney White
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book to implement during a Civil Rights lesson! It contains personal interviews of actual people that lived during segregation and the Civil Rights movement. I am a visual learner and enjoyed the explicit photos. It is rare to actually see African Americans having food dumped on their heads while placing an order. It is simply astounding. The students would definitely be intrigued to see how different culture was only 50 years ago.
Chanelle
I absolutely love this book. I like that they focus to book around children and ask their opinions about the civil rights movement. I think that is important. You only here stories about children who were hurt or who made a difference in the movement, but I don't think I have ever heard about how they felt or what they thought. I would definitely use this book to discuss the civil rights movement with my class. It is very inspiring and I think the students would appreciate history more.
Sabrina
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book talks about the civl rights movement throughout interviews conducted by children. THe children in the book interview family members of famous family friends that lived during the civil rights era. Each interview sheds light to different aspects of the civil rights era. There are interviewed that describe the children's march, Montgomery Bus Boycott and other events that the civil rights era is comprised of.
Marit
Oct 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: history
Wow! This book was really special, I was so touched by all the interviews by the children. I could not put the book away! In Norway we have not learned so much about the civil rights movement, so for me it is very unknown and almost kind of hard to read about because it brings up many emotions. I think this book could be great to use in the Social Studies class with the children because it is actually children that is interviewing the adults in the book.
Gail
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was cleaning out my book shelves when I found this book. A friend has moved and left me piles to look through. I kept this one to read and I am glad that I did.

This a book for kids about the Civil Rights Movement. Between the short history lessons, kids interview people, sometimes their parents or teachers, about what they did during that time.

It was a moving book. Short but full of great stuff.

I'm glad I read it before I passed it one for another person to enjoy.
Christine Levinge
This book is so wonderful because it consists of interviews between children and influential characters in the Civil Rights Movement. This book can be introduced to show students how so many various people played an important role in this movement, aside from the most notable ones, such as Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks. This helps gives students a glimpse of the more unspoken heroes.
Shaheen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
It's a brilliant work of literature. Superb way to gain understanding about Civil Rights Movements for teachers and everyone. Inspiring interviews. Very deep. Loved the artifact of an ad in the book to show a glimps of how the world was. Every event in the book is a journey from peace to protest to rights. Mske me think how every people were changing agents and now are our heros.
Tuyet Tran
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
I really like this book because it shows different perspective from other people during the same period of time during the Civil Rights Movement. The student today has a chance to interview with survivors in the past history.

Civil Rights movement, survivors, interview, MLK, Malcom X, Color, Black, racism, segregation
Liliana
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This book is wonderful to use when learning about the Civil Rights Movement. The book contains different interviews of people who were a part of the Civil Rights Movement. Students could use this book to "role-play" by having an interview session in a social studies class. They can either read the interviews in the book or they can use the book to create their own interviews.
Christina
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-rights
As the students interview people who lived and fought for civil rights, you get to see the "eureka" moments going off in the interviewers heads. I would probably use parts of this book, maybe have students read different interviews and then discuss them in a literature circle within a social studies class.
Kristin
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is a great collection memories about the civil rights movement. I think that it would be a great idea to use this book as an introduction into an interview lesson for our future students. The students could interview people around the school and ask them questions about the civil rights, their thoughts, and feelings.
Tracey Shanklin
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is poignant for today's time and relevant with the African-American community status as we know it. I believe our children and young adults can learn from simply talking to and understanding the process of how change was gained, by dialoging with our predecessors, Tweaking and Peaking what they did to achieve and surpass their efforts for present and future generations.
Tynisha Thompkins
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book....a great African American History book that voices perspectives from mutiple, "EVERYDAY" people who actually experienced the Civil Rights Movement for themselves. This book goes beyond the well-known heroes/change agents(such as MLK, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, ect.) by allowing others to be heard as well!
Bree Bosse
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is separated into different parts/times of the Civil Rights' Movements and shows pictures of children who are interviewing people who were kids during this time and they tell their first hand stories as a child during the Civil Rights Movement.
Allison
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
I really enjoyed the children perspectives that were shown throughout this book. I feel as though this would make it easier for young learners to relate to the trials peoples faced throughout this time.
Keidra Polite
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite books now. it contain so much information about the Civil right Movement. Even though this book is in black and white, it contains amazing pictures. It has excepts fom the live of leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. I love it!
Carman
This book is great when discussing multiple perspectives. I was impressed by the diverity of persons shown in the book. A great way to begin a civil rights unit.
Sharon
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Great book from a child's perspective. Poignant questions are asked and answered as children interview those who experienced the Civil Rights movement first hand.
Danielle Wynn
Civil Rights
Taylor Wood
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is for more advanced fifth grade readers. I think the civil rights movement is very important for students to learn about.
Kristin
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
I liked the information presented in this book. I could use this book to tea students different ways to convey information. I also would like to use this book to teach students important history.
Holly Covett
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: civil-rights
Oh, Freedom! is a powerful tool for the classroom. The pictures will help start a lot conversations.