Start by marking “The Playa's Handbook (Players Series)” as Want to Read:
The Playa's Handbook (Players Series)

The Playa's Handbook (Playa's Series #1)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  581 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
There's not a whole lot happening in Gary, Indiana. That is, until nationally renowned relationship expert Lance Montgomery bursts on to the scene. Twice divorced, Montgomery is now on a mission to perfect the art of being single. His tantalizing book The Playa's Handbook is causing quite a stir. His rules include:

*Never give a woman the key to your apartment.
*Playas "have
Published November 2nd 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Playa's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playa's Handbook

African Americans on the Move Book Club
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
AAMBC Book Review, May 29, 2008

When you get into the concept of this book, you can see how some men look at commitment, and how some crave for commitment. I enjoyed this book, because it was truthful and gave a depiction of four men looking for love in all the wrong places. If you think you can find love by following a book, you're wrong. When the men finally stop listening to what everyone else was telling them and started listening to their hearts, their life became more fulfilling. Great bo
Trish Watson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Game's Over!

This was a great read. And it shined such a beautiful light on how men cope with and heal from heartbreak.
Christine
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I don't know why I picked this book up and there were times I wasn't sure why I kept reading. In many ways, it is not the sort of book I would typically enjoy. The style was a bit abrupt, even choppy, the story was split between 4 concurrent lines that made it a little difficult to get into at first, and I didn't particularly like Lance, the author of "The Playa's Handbook," for which the book was named.

But every time I thought about putting the book down, either because Lance was do
D.S. White
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gary, Indiana has come a long way from Ron Howard's lisped version of, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana! heard in the Musical, The Music Man.

In Brenda Hampton's Playa's Handbook Gary, Indiana is home to one Lance Montgomery who author's The Playa's Handbook. Read the top ten rules below:

Top Ten Rules [DS's comments in ()]

- Never give a woman the key to your apartment.
- Playas "have sex," they don't "make love."
- Avoid crotch-grabbers, unless you like feeling assaulted.
- Before you
Tammy Benton
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Playa's Handbook by Brenda Jackson. This book I loved it. It about three best friends name Marcus Lowery ,Samuel Gun (aka) also best friend with Lance Montgomery and Phillip McKenna. It starts each friend read Lance Montgomery handbook trying to follow the books. Sam has been hurt by his Kim ex-wife his called told him she was marrying the guy she cheated on. He had trust issues that was wrong how she did him. Then Phillip divorced from Rhonda. Then their Marcus who is a widower who wife Dot ...more
Ceej
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brenda-jackson
I liked this book. I would have liked it even better if there had been one character who was really a great example of the handbook. Especially considering the author of the handbook meets the woman who makes him want to change his way. I also would not recommend this book unless you are a believer. Jackson makes more references to religion than in any of her books I've read and I believe I've ready 95% of them.
M Landry
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book started at a slow pace, but it picked up. The author did a good job telling the story. I particularly loved the way she separated each character's story by heading the chapters with the names of the characters that they focused on. Some of the wording was repetitive, which did wear on me a few times, but other than that, it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Darlene
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this book was dragging a bit and maybe what was said in 600 pages could've been said in 300. But Brenda Jackson is one of my favorite authors for a reason. The story compelled me to continue, pushing me to understand the depths of the characters and their dilemma. There was a twist to ending that I didn't anticipate but was happy for it!!
Karen
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read and a wonderful start to this "Playas" series. Although Lance started out as a male DOG, I was amused to see him get what he deserved. However, I am secretly wishing for him to claim his true love after learning his own lesson about love. I look forward to reading the next installment of the playas series "No More Playas"!
Denise
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. The story was about some guys who try and follow these rules for how to be a playa. While going through this exercise things get a little crazy and in the end they figure out the type of men that they really are. I think that it teaches the lesson that being a playa is not always as great as many think it is.
Chelsea
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brenda-jackson
What an interesting story.... Brenda Jackson has done it again. I especially loved the fact that all the men excluding the unfortunate Lance... came to the realization that they were one women men. Great read!
Sean Russell
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite engaging as the stories of the four main characters unfold and in places intertwine but really four romance stories in one ,with likeable characters ,except Marcus who gets what he deserves. Enjoyable easy read.
Sue
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book about 5 men who think they can be or try to be playa's. I must admit that I sometimes got confused between the 5 male characters but otherwise the author manages really well to tell 5 interlocking stories.
Romacedar
Very good book. This book is an eye opener for those of you who think life is over when you get cheated on or a spouse is deceased. It's not over...life goes on...and you have to, too.(YOU LIVE & YOU LEARN!)
Unique811
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Slow start decent ending
Miriam Jackson
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Page turner. I thought it was going to be boring, but it was not. It was good that Lance found the woman that he loves and did not give up fighting for her.
Nicole
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it...Amazing I couldn't put it down even for a second...it a must read
Kail'la Reddick
  • Like the First Time
  • A Whole Lotta Love
  • Defenseless
  • Sexy/Dangerous
In 1994, Brenda Jackson’s first novel, Tonight and Forever, was released. Since then she has had more than 100 novels and novellas published (the first African-American author to accomplish such a feat) and has over 3 million books in print.

A native of Jacksonville, Florida, Brenda is the first African-American author to have a book published by Harlequin Desire and the first African-American rom
More about Brenda Jackson...

Playa's Series (3 books)