Start by marking “The Ice Cream Girls (Poppy & Serena, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ice Cream Girls (Poppy & Serena, #1)

The Ice Cream Girls

(Poppy & Serena #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  10,780 ratings  ·  942 reviews
As teenagers Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe were the only witnesses to a tragic event. Amid heated public debate, the two seemingly glamorous teens were dubbed ‘The Ice Cream Girls’ by the press and were dealt with by the courts.

Years later, having led very different lives, Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what really happened, while married mother-of-two
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Cream Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Cream Girls

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Ice Cream Girls (Poppy & Serena, #1)
Elaine
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t be fooled by the cute pastel cover on this one. It isn’t the light summery girly friendship story that I was expecting. In fact, it is probably one of the darkest reads I have read in a long time and Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe are certainly not friends but love rivals. The object of their love is Marcus, an older man and Serena’s teacher.

This is a story of two young naïve girls who are reeled in by Marcus, a predator of the first order in this story of seduction, first love, manipu
F
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago.
I remember liking it.
I do remember the storyline but not the ending.
Bren
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Literary Fiction, fans of character studies, mystery fans.
“I did not know that when you drop a stone of a stupid choice in the pool of your life, it can cause a tidal wave to surge outwards, destroying everyone and everything in its path.”
― Dorothy Koomson, The Ice Cream Girls

Everyone has heard of them. Have you? The notorious young "Ice Cream girls". Not more then kids really. So young. They are flashy, they are wild and rebellious.

And they are murderers.

At least one of them is according to the courts. Poppy and Selena were tried. One was sent to jai
Tea Jovanović
Dorothy Koomson's masterpiece! I fell in love with her writing with "My Best Friend's Girl" I and was acquiring Serbian editor of that novel...
This title, despite the chick-lit covers, is serious book, having serious theme of child abuse, murder, and impact on lives of two girls and their families... Perfectly researched topic and masterfully written!
#mustread
Barbara Elsborg
Siany
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I could NOT put this book down.
So different to Dorothy Koomson's other books but her best book in my opinion.

I love the characters of Serena and Poppy, and is a shame they couldnt stand each other because they are so alike.
Serena was a very strong character, much stronger than Poppy at times. But I did prefer Poppy. She went through a lot despite being innocent. And in the end it was good to see her "catch a break" as far as her personal life went.

Marcus was scum of the earth and he deserved
Dem
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson was an interesting and easy to read novel.
As School girls Poppy and Serena were the only witnesses to a tragic event. They both end up in different ways paying the price and become known as the Ice Cream Girls. Years later Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what happened while Serena wants no one in her present life to find out about her past. But secrets have a habit of coming back to haunt and this is certainly the case for the Ice Cream Girls
Anne
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ice Cream Girls is one of the most cleverly crafted novels that I have read for a long time. It would be so easy to judge this book by it's cover and assume that it's going to be frothy chick-lit - don't fall for the cover - this is a psychological thriller that gripped me from page one and kept me hooked until the very last page.
The story is narrated in turns by Serena and Poppy - the 'Ice Cream Girls' of the title. Serena and Poppy were never friends but their lives have been linked togeth
Dale Harcombe
Two and a half stars. I debated for a long while over a rating for this. In the end I gave it two and a half stars because it was okay but I couldn’t say I liked it. That no doubt has a lot to do with the subject matter. Serena and Poppy stand trial for the torture and murder of Marcus, an ex teacher. Poppy is convicted of the murder and gets sentenced while Serena does not. However she still lives each day with what happened and the secret she has kept from her husband.
While it kept me reading,
Blair
The cover and title, which both suggest a fluffy chick-lit book, didn't attract me to this (I'm really annoyed that I now have to have those hated pastel colours messing up my 2011 Reading Challenge page); but I'd gathered from several sources that it was actually a gripping thriller, and from all I'd heard and read about it, I was intrigued enough to pick it up when I spotted it in the library. The Ice Cream Girls - the title referring to a nickname bestowed upon the main characters by the tabl ...more
Katherine
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars-books
I think Dorothy Koomson has an extraordinary talent and an incredible originality when she writes her books. I real all her books and to be honest I prefer when she writes something that can be considered a policial or near it (as this book). I think she can create the perfect world and the perfect characters when she writes one and she never forget the romance and this special thing that I couldn't still understand what is but that makes her books perfect.

- First of all, the plot. Complex, full
Ari
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I really did not like reading this book. As an American I found it hard to believe because the press, in fact the whole case was ridiculous. I'm no expert on the American justice system but USUALLY what happens over here is in a case where an adult is sleeping with a teenager (minor), it's considered rape. People do not immediately jump to the conclusion that the teenager SEDUCED the GROWN MAN/WOMAN. And yet that is exactly what happens in The Ice Cream Girls. The press is slimy and the courts a ...more
MelizzaMakes
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Liz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended Dorothy Koomson so when I saw this at the library I grabbed it without reading the blurb. Seduced by the pretty pastel cover I was shocked at the opening page. Shocked but totally hooked! It’s not a book you actually enjoy reading due to the subject matter but it’s one of the most gripping thrillers I’ve read for a while. I did guess the ending though!
Kirsty.
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read especially when you can't sleep 😊😴 ...more
Redfox5
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh My! What a book! Although I've read a lot of good books recently, nothing comes close to this! This really was one of those books that it's very hard to put down. I had to know what happened!

This book teases you by telling the story of two girls who were accused of killing a teacher. Poppy went to prison for his murder, Serena was found innocent. The press painted them out to be 'The Ice Cream Girls', two young seductresses who tortured and killed Marcus for fun.

The truth is far from this.
Nina
Guessed the ending about halfway through, but was interesting nevertheless! Intrigued to read the next one.
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I’d read The Ice Cream Girls when it was first released many years ago and liked it, so when I had the opportunity to review the novel to go in line with the release of the TV adaptation, I could not wait to re-read it.

Teenagers Poppy and Serena both fall in love with an older man, Marcus, who happens to be Serena’s teacher. They both fall helplessly in love with Marcus and believe that he loves them too. Then the girls meet, and Marcus continues to draw them in with sweet words, attention, and
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
Despite the appearance of the cover (which although it didn’t put me off, I am convinced that it will disuade others from even picking it up to read the blurb on the back) this is more pyschological thriller than chicklit.

The Ice Cream Girls has two narrators: Serena Gorringe and Poppy Carlisle. The book starts with a newspaper clipping reporting the story of the trial of two teenage girls accused of the murder of history teacher who is reported to have been the victim of a jealous school girl
Leah
After the murder of teacher Marcus Halnsley, Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe find themselves suddenly in the glare of the worlds’ media. Poppy ends up convicted of the crime and gets life in prison whereas Serena gets to walk free. Years later Poppy gets released from prison and is determined to clear her name and get Serena to confess to killing Marcus. Serena, however, wants to keep the past firmly where it is: in the past as she never actually got around to telling her husband Evan about t ...more
Annemarie Farthing
'He had me so convinced of my worthlessness, my ability to exist without him'
Now that is some quote!
What a surprise at the end though!
Mums: watch your darling daughters!
Gill Thorpe
This wasn’t what I expected from the author and the previous books I’d read of hers. It was a very emotional and dark read ... a hard subject to write about .
Johnreads
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No one outside of our family unit would ever guess that away from prying eyes, we were systematically tearing ourselves apart. Away from the outside world, everyone in our family started to fall to pieces, and never really recovered. Even though our times together are always fun and laughter-filled, the closeness we once shared is gone. In its place is guilt, regret, the ability to say the nastiest things and, for the longest minute on earth, mean every word of them." ...more
Sarina
Dec 18, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dang, I thought this was a WLW romance. I feel misled and betrayed.
Amanda Lewis
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this down, absolutely loved it, great read. ...more
Bill Kupersmith
According to the media & the prosecution, a popular teacher was murdered twenty years ago by two teenage girls who were photographed kissing & eating ice cream, hence the title of this book. One of them, Serena, was acquitted & is now married to a doctor & the mother of two children. The other girl, Poppy, was convicted & sent to prison for life & has just been released on licence. In fact, the teacher Marcus was a total sadistic sleaze who seduced & abused first Serena & then Poppy, who were ri ...more
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
This would have been a five star read for me as I was fully engrossed from the first page, I just found a couple of things rather unbelievable and unrealistic and although it is a work of fiction, it had me overthinking these parts. However, I loved the story and how it was told and I will certainly read more by this author again.
Faith Strange
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My opinion on my IG account https://www.instagram.com/p/CBy9bGcj_... ...more
Gemma
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this is more of a 2.5 but, when I finished my boyfriend asked "was it good" and I just replied, "it was ok". Which disappointed me, because after reading the back, and the first few chapters it started off really good and I was gripped. But it lost a bit of it's charm, it was a tough subject, domestic violence, abuse, murder which I felt was handled really well. I can't Quite put my finger on what spoiled it for me.

The story was told through the eyes of the two 'Ice Cream Girls' Poppy &
Tasha
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dorothy Koomson is one of my favourite authors ever and this book, The Ice Cream Girls, is the reason why.

Back way back when, I read this book and was completely blindsided by its contents, I'd never read anything like it. It's cover suggested some sort of sweet story, the other books I'd read by Koomson hadn't led me to expect this sort of story at all. It opened my eyes to what a book could be!

The story is gripping, it's dark and twisted, some scenes are brutal, hard to read and will turn you
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 26 Jan 05, 2020 06:45PM

• Last Lesson
  • Um Pingo na Água
  • Just My Luck
  • O Desempregado
  • Onde as cores têm sabor
  • Blurred Lines
  • All The Lonely People
  • Married at First Swipe
  • If I Don't Have You (Twenty in 2020)
  • Festa di famiglia
  • A Espera de Fernanda
  • The Donor
  • From Notting Hill to New York... Actually (Actually, #2)
  • Queen Bee
Hello, my name's Dorothy Koomson and I'll try to make this bit that's all about me as interesting as possible.
I wrote my first novel called There's A Thin Line Between Love And Hate when I was 13. I used to write a chapter every night then pass it around to my fellow convent school pupils every morning, and they seemed to love it.

I grew up in London and then grew up again in Leeds when I went to u

Poppy & Serena (2 books)
  • All My Lies Are True (Poppy & Serena, #2)