Start by marking “Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action” as Want to Read:
Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action

Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action

The six core strategies to elevate any business-and how to implement them-made simple

What do the world's most successful companies and organization have in common? And what can you actually take away and use from their examples? Distilling the best fundamental business strategies, trusted advisor and strategist John Spence helps you take a hard look at your business and to
Published September 1st 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Awesomely Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesomely Simple

Start your review of Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
John Spence
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Small business owners
Recommended to John by: I wrote it!
Yes - I AM the author -- but here is the "somewhat" unbiased review I posted on my own book on Amazon... I hope you find this helpful.

I think this is a pretty good book. Not life-changing. Not revolutionary... but a good, solid book on the fundamental aspects of running a highly successful organization.

Here is the deal: I have worked as a business improvement consultant and executive trainer in more than 300 companies around the world - from tiny start-ups to Microsoft, GE, IBM. I have also rea
Ali
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very great book, i really like it
Tanner Maluchnik
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Is your business or organization becoming so complex that you are slowing down and becoming less innovative?

Then this book is for you.
Taylor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I was annoyed with this book. It was someone excessively positive giving straight up fluff speeches about mission statements and organization. There were actionable tasks which were redeeming for the abstract narrative, but it wasn't enough. Happily I made it into chapter 3 and finally Spence got into the meat of the subject. He discusses real action plans to communicate effectively, emphasizes what he means, and genuinely impressed me. The next chapter was amazing too! Chapter 5 and 6 ...more
Devin Ambron
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any advice is good advice if you take action. The business principles in this book are distilled from many disciplines of business management but what stands out is Spence's questions and exercises at the end of each chapter. Learning emotional intelligence then practicing emotional intelligence is a powerful component of communication. Few companies master delivering value to customers while maintaining strong teams.
Megan Close Zavala
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was clear and easy to understand, with some good advice. A relatively quick read, though not exactly exciting.
Ellen Baldwin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty basic concepts that can never be reiterated too many times.
Rusty Fulling
March-2010 - The author does a good job in breaking down SIMPLE strategies such as:

M/V/V - Mission - "Why we exist"
Vision - "Where we want to go"
Values - "How we will act along the way"

SMART Goals - Specific - "Detail exactly what you want to achieve" Measurable - "Goals must be quantifiable" Agreed on - "Everyone has to agree/buy in on the goals" Realistic - "Goals must be achievable, otherwise demoralizing" Timebound - "Specific date for achieving goals"

Conistent superior customer service
Jesse Langel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A distillation of business management. If you're serious about business, you cannot go wrong revisiting these principles and then conducting the "effectiveness audits" at the end of each chapter.

The author's introduction makes a compelling case for his credibility to write this. John Spence has walked the walk in business. I'm not surprised that only 10-15% of businesses actually execute on their major goals. Spoiler alert: the four impediments to execution: 1) lack of well documented vision 2)
Michael
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I really want to tell you to run out and get this book. I genuinely believe that it can have an amazing impact on your business. The concepts in this book and an intense focus on taking action off of them was amazing. The thing that wasn't... the authors voice. I did listen to this in Audiobook format, so that may have had an impact, but John Spence can't seem to help from mentioning himself and his experiences. The man is brilliant and the ideas warrant a healty ego, I just wish he had managed ...more
Cathy
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book! Easy to ready with ideas that truly can be turned into action, but don't necessarily cost a lot or take huge amounts of implementation time or structure.

I use it for a number of different ideas and places where I have worked. Re-read pieces regularly.
Bernie May
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
John Spence has an amazing faculty & discipline, plus years of actual business experience, which he uses to consume business books and distill them into six focused chapters. Good reading for business & other leaders anywhere. ...more
Angelo
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Time and time again I found myself thinking "wait, this is something I can actually do!" and scribble a todo to myself. Very actionable, yet grounded. I liked it!
David Ulloa
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anybody that plans to succeed in business needs to read this book by John Spence. ...more
Lucy
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book...concise and to the point. First business book I've ever read where I didn't fall asleep in the first chapter...THIS book is a quick read but very imformative.
Camilo Rodriguez
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very important book to read to anyone building a business.
Jose Gonzalez
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book that every entrepreneur should read
CJC
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
all common sense but well said! Loved this book
Tim Giuliani
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book that cuts through the noise and has the content to ground young business people or seasoned executives in the basics of running a company. Highly recommended.
Krystle
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
The book read as stated.. ok read, not my favorite but not bad either.
Mark Bradley

• Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • Be Fearless: 5 Principles for a Life of Breakthroughs and Purpose
  • Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream
  • Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
  • Performing Under Pressure: The Science of Doing Your Best When It Matters Most
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Flip the Funnel: How to Use Existing Customers to Gain New Ones
  • Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself
Background on John Spence

"Making the very complex...awesomely simple” is no mere catch phrase, it is truly John Spence’s mission in life. Driven by an insatiable curiosity to understand the fundamental aspects of what it takes to achieve and sustain excellence in business and life, John Spence has earned a reputation as a leading authority in the areas of Strategic Thinking, High-Performance Teams

News & Interviews