Start by marking “Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point” as Want to Read:
Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point

Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point

(A Kent Beck Signature Book)

Building on their breakthrough bestsellers Lean Software Development and Implementing Lean Software Development, Mary and Tom Poppendieck's latest book shows software leaders and team members exactly how to drive high-value change throughout a software organization--and make it stick. They go far beyond generic implementation guidelines, demonstrating exactly how to make l ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Leading Lean Software Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading Lean Software Development

John
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a few things I really, really liked about this book, and a few that I really, really hated.

What I liked most was this is the least dogmatic of the Poppendieck books, with much less of the "do it this way" and much more of the "generally follow this approach, here's a few variants, but maybe it might not apply for you". The chapters covering aligned leadership, working within the constraints of your current system, and managing a product portfolio were all really good. The pull scheduli
Derek Neighbors
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some of the best anecdotal stories on software development that I have read. Great wisdom and content, but failed to push me towards lean being significant short of a methodology. I think that if you are developing software you should read this book. Some people will love it and consider it a bible others will find it useful but not earth shattering.
Regis Hattori
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. But I feel that some chapters were much more completed and detailed than others, whereas the diagram showing the chapters and frames seems to put the same importance on all of them. For example, I think that System Thinking could be put at a higher level than others because as its name suggests, it needs to take into account to all other parts of the system.

Some of good parts:

You are not going to change things by looking for scapegoats or setting more aggressive targets
Carl
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You could accuse me of some bias here: I'm a big fan of the Poppendiecks' books, and Tom wrote the forward for my book. But I assure you, my fully objective opinion is that this is excellent.

It differs greatly from their prior work primarily in that it takes more of a systems tone: in fact, the "software development" part of the title is too much of a constraint. I'd recommend this book to anyone responsible for delivering value to clients, in any industry.
Cori
What intrigued me: Dennis, the director of architecture, at my office lent me his 2 favorite Poppendieck books since we are implementing the Scaled Agile Framework.

What I liked: There is a lot of good information in this book.

Chapter 3 - Reliable Delivery/Frame 10 - Level Workflow focuses on how Kanban should work. Most of our teams are scrum, but our operations groups is Kanban. The details in this section have helped me know what the correct questions are when engaging with this group.

Chapte
Glenn Burnside
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this was better than the first Lean book I read by the Poppendiecks. Their breakdown of lean methods into perspectives and frames made it easy to digest on idea at a time. The "your turn" action plans at the end of each chapter are a good jumping off point for an organization leader looking to introduce lean thinking into the company.

What I really appreciate about the Poppendieck's books is their meticulous attribution. They borrow from a lot of sources, and make sure to give them all
Ian
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have not actually finished reading this book, I am always reading it. THis is standard reference me in my professional life. Poppendiecks give a practical and rings true, advice for changing the chaos of software development to getting it to work. Valuable book indeed. synthesizes views from other places. I especially ( given my decades of experience in software!) appreciate the historical view of how software development processes have changed over the years, and most importantly, what WORKS.
Sandy Vanderbleek
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starts really strong then doesn't have much left to say. The ideas are essential for anyone involved in shipping business software and this is a clear and effective presentation, but it could be slimmed down.
Bob Schatz
Great book for managers, execs. Mary and Tom did it again with a great book highlighting what's really important to creating an environment where agile and lean can thrive.
Chad Holdorf
Good. Lots of tools to add to your agile collection.
Thomas Kuryura
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Lean concept in this book, will read it again!
Todd Webb
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a must read book for any business leader who needs to understand key elements of a great software development process and organization.
Thom Leggett
Jun 12, 2013
Mansour
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite, and Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Agile Coaching
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Planning Extreme Programming
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Kent Beck Signature Book (7 books)
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Implementation Patterns
  • ATDD by Example: A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
“The biggest cause of failure in software-intensive systems is not technical failure; it’s building the wrong thing.” 1 likes
“customers do not need scope. They need to have business goals accomplished within some constraints of time and cost.” 1 likes