Start by marking “Magebound” as Want to Read:
Magebound

Magebound

(Magebound #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A slave since the age of eight, Lark has been brutalized and victimized. When he finds himself the property of Lord Naeven Sactaren, a mage as frightening as he is beautiful, Lark is thrown into a life of magic and quirky friends that force him to change in ways he never thought he could.

Inexplicably drawn to his master, Lark struggles against his own fears and desires as
Published August 1st 2009 by P.D. Publishing, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magebound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magebound

Em
Unbelievably I've had this on my 'to read list' for about 5 years. I'm really not sure why I didn't get to it sooner, especially as I read and really enjoyed A Solitary Flame and Broken Wings. Anyway, this was a great slave/master story, and whilst the plot was a little slow moving at times, it's really sweet. I'll definitely read the next book Spellwrought which came out earlier this year, after a 6 year gap.
MLE
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
A really well developed fantasy story. The characters are complex, and interesting, and the plot might feel slow moving to some, but considering how deeply damaged the people involved are I think anything else would feel unnatural, or even abusive to me. If this becomes the love story I think it may it will take a very long time. It was nice to see the growth over the course of this story, and I really hope that someday she will write the sequels. Until then I'll keep reading the Broken Wings st ...more
Pascal Schuppli
Jul 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I came across this book by mistake. I thought it was a fantasy story about a relationship between two persons with a strong inbalance of power (along the lines of Mary Renaults "the Persian boy" or Carol Bergs Transformation) when in fact it seems to be gay erotica (seems to be because I didn't read all of it - I gave up about halfway through it, skipped to the last few pages and put it away, slightly disgusted).

So, maybe I was just the wrong audience for this kind of book (though I did enjoy Lu
C.
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
I rated this 2 stars, because the author doesn't classify it as young adult. If she had, I would have given it 3 stars. Maybe.

I've been waiting for this to be released in digital format for years, due to it's high rating, but I was extremely disappointed once I got my hands on it.

From the moment I started reading, something about the writing really put me off, but I couldn't figure out exactly what it was. It just didn't feel 'right.' Looking back, I think the problem was that it felt too juveni
Bookwatcher
Important facts:
*Some questions were left unanswered. It was published in 2009, so it may have a sequel or not.. It would be a pity if nothing more will be published. The world is too good to be explored in just one book! Now (2014) it's just in paperback format, and that can be a problem (price is high, compaire with ebook, and of course ebook can be download immediately, while paperback you must find and buy, not an easy task)
*No sex scene, at all! If you want to read an erotic book forget it.
Ayanna
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting/weird. Yes, it is an official classification now.

It's got all those psychological elements I like that kept sending chills down my spine, but it's spun in such a way that makes it...different, somehow.

There were parts that caused various songs from Les Mis to cycle through my head...

The character dynamics and interesting. Very fascinating, in fact. Naeven... He's an interesting study in paradoxes and has been thankfully blessed with the self-insight that ought to come with superior i
Lala
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, m-m
3.75 stars.

So very entertaining! Even if I wanted to smack both of the MCs up the head.
Elisa Rolle
Even if I know, from previous experiences with this same publisher, that usually their novels are pretty tamed, I really didn’t expect for Katica Locke’s book to be “almost” a Young Adult story.

It’s a fantasy novel, but that type of fantasy that I don’t mind, since it’s not too heavy in setting details and so, difficult to follow. On the contrary, Magebound is a quick novel, not very long and easy to read in one session.

Lark is a slave and he has no chance to be something else; he lost his hop
Karin Wollina
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am usually not so fond of magical stories, but this book was a very happy surprise. I licked the protagonist very much, the interaqctions were believable. There are some things that are not quite clear for me, but that I think they will be clearer as the story arc devolves in the planned books. The first chapter of Spellbound (the 2nd book in the cycle, available on the website of the author) is really promising. I can`t wait for the next books
I am sure to buy all the books by this author (act
Leanne
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mm, romance, slave, ust
Good writing but this could have been tightened as it dragged it places and I skimmed from the halfway mark. I liked the fantasy elements but wanted more character development in some of the supporting characters.
A pleasant but instantly forgettable read.
Elizabetta
oooo this looks interesting...
Anne Freya
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqqiaap, novel
Maybe it doesn't have to be you, but I want it to be you. - Lark

Man, the push and pull dance was really something. 😓 From soup to nuts, guys. 😅 And HFN too. Bet it'll irk some people, but I love it. 😋
Treat a man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The yo-yo dance wasn't without reason actually, very understandable even. The guys were broken, especially our poor Lark here, he was broken beyond repa
Anka
Lioness7
I feel so lucky to have chosen this book. It was a fun read about a mage and the young man he bought to help him with his magic and mind his store.

The book was way more than a slave/master story though. It had all kinds of different people and creatures. It also had a mage that didn't really believe in being a master.

Probably the only problem I had with the book was that Lark couldn't see himself as anything but a slave. I wanted him to want to be free and make himself into something strong so
Alysa H.
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started out well and the writing was consistently competent, but the story never went anywhere -- just around and around in circles. I liked most of the characters but they were more like tropes than complex people, and the attraction between the leads is confusing and not particularly hot. The world building is intriguing but thin. I kept waiting for more of... something, anything! But though I was never tempted to DNF this book, it sorely disappointed me.
J'aime
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance, fantasy
I purchased this book on a whim, as it was recommended to me by Amazon and in my quick pick list. It’s billed as a fantasy story, which is my favorite genre. It turned out to be a lovely gem that I enjoyed greatly. Though it is nowhere near the level of a true fantasy book like the Nightrunner series , it is more than just M/M romance with fantasy window-dressing. The author puts considerable effort into building her fantasy world with rich descriptions, and fine details that bring it to life.

La
Wendy Ann
Hmmm, a mysterious Master and skittish slave where the only rule that seems to hold true is “expect the unexpected”. The world building is great and compliments the air of magic and mystique surrounding Naeven. So does the fact that the story is told from Lark’s point of view. It’s nice to understand what’s going on in Lark’s head – he’s so conflicted because nothing is as it should be and he constantly wonders when the proverbial axe is going to fall. The attraction and sexual tension continue ...more
Laylah
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-slash-m
I liked the world Locke was working toward here; I liked the magic system a lot -- "mage" generally leaves me expecting a lot of abstract, hand-waving-and-chanting sort of stuff, and this was much more about making physical things, which I like. The magical creatures were cool. And Lark's brittleness and damage make a lot of sense with his history.

On the other hand, the supporting cast was really one-dimensional, and the entire second half hinged on a misunderstanding plot -- one of those things
Aynaarah
This book is a thing of beauty, first half more than the second half of the book, childish story with mags and magic, but everything is so.. so fresh really, the world building, the perspective, so pleasantly surprising, the language is rich, the wording is .. playful, smart and funny and so very resourceful..

.. the author speaks about so many aspects of the world showing an intimate knowledge of them..

..the relationship development, though, I feel, fails - well, no lower that the average ones.
Jordan Lombard
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy, m-m, read2011, print
The only thing that struck me as odd in this book was the swear words that were words I'd use here in the states. I'm not sure these same words would be used in a made up fantasy world. True, others were made up, but some weren't. And, there was a reference to Dr. Dolittle. I'm not sure any of the characters in this book should know who he is at all.

Aside from those things, I really enjoyed this book, and do plan on reading the next one in the series. I want to know what's up with the mage's wi
Saphirablue
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
C
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Cat
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, slash
I loved the setting of this-the world, the magic/science and so on. I didn't love the plot-too much in too little time. And I didn't love the anachronisms-this world shouldn't have characters referencing Dr. Dolittle, for instance, and just can't see our mage saying "huh?". It says something that I ended the book thinking I needed a sequel-so we could find out what happened to Khas.
Princhesata
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
If I had known that it was the first volume of an ongoing series, maybe I would not have been so bad in the end, where the story stops just at the climax.

I can not wait to read more!
Bz
Where can I find the other books in the Once a Slave series? (Magewise & Magebreak)
Lucy
Radohova
Dec 05, 2013
Pellaz01
Apr 10, 2013
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Strange Fortune
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • The God Eaters
  • Heroes & Ghosts
  • Weregild (Wolf's-own, #2)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Forgotten
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • A Dish Served Cold
  • Tiger and the Raven
I learned at a young age that books were precious and that the written word was a powerful means of communication. Since I have social anxiety and find it hard to speak to people, writing has become my voice. I’m able to say what I really think and feel without the irrational worry that comes with speaking.

I grew up and still live in Oregon, in the beautiful Willamette Valley. I’m within walking d

Magebound (2 books)
  • Spellwrought (Magebound, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)