Start by marking “Exodus” as Want to Read:
Exodus

Exodus (Exodus / Raging Earth #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  3,447 Ratings  ·  353 Reviews
In a drowned world, can refuge be found?

Less than a hundred years from now, the world as we know it has disappeared beneath the sea. Only fifteen-year-old Mara has the vision and the will to lead her people in search of a new beginning in this harsh, unfamiliar world.

Booklist Science Fiction/Fantasy Top 10 for Youth

“This sweeping, futuristic fantasy envisions a ravag
Published February 17th 2009 by Walker Childrens (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Diana Mcknight It leans more toward the literal meaning of "exodus" (large group escaping/leaving) and less the biblical meaning.

Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 6 and up
Recommended to Sarah by: 7/8 list
It’s the year 2100 and Earth is underwater due to global warming. Communication with all parts of the world has ceased to exist because…what other parts of the world are left? Mara and her friends and family live on Wing, an island that has managed to survive the massive rising waters—until now. The people on Wing assume that there are other people somewhere in the world living on islands like they are…but they have no idea where. Little do they know that Mara uses her antique cyberwizz (similar ...more
Jamie
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 14-16, dystopia
In a world in which the ice caps are melting fast, any piece of dry land is very precious land. The last city that anyone knows about is New Mungo, and there are refugee boats surrounding it, and no one is allowed in (well, occasionally people are "picked" to go in but no one is sure if this is a good thing or bad.

Mara leaves her drowning island and arrives here to discover she's part of a prophecy.

It does feel like, and is promised to be part of a trilogy, but the original was published in the
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I liked the premise of the novel. But I was bored reading it, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I couldn't connect to any of the characters, and I felt like a lot of them were just there. Not only that, but we didn't get much info about the world that Mara lived in. I thought that was a little weird because Mara leaves her island, goes elsewhere, and doesn't really know anything about what's going on.

And considering she goes on a journey to a completely different place, you'd thi
Ricki
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a science fiction reader, but I was hooked to this story. It took me about 70 pages to get really into the novel, but then I was hooked with the apocalyptic tale. It reminded me a bit of Dante's Inferno. I liked how it wasn't a fairy tale. Some characters, that I grew to love, died or disappeared. There was a strong connection to strong historical figures, like Martin Luther King. The book made me self-analyze if I could have the resolve and determination that Mara embodies.
I tossed be
Jim
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: discussed in review
I am rounding this up to 4 stars. I would probably put it around 3.7 or 3.8 if I had the option.

I definitely enjoyed this book and would recommend it. It is a very good, involving story that gets better as it goes along. The writing is good, but I agree with other reviewers that the style is best for, say, grade 6 and up. At the lower end of that range, I would be concerned about some very scary scenes and bad things that happen, especially in the first half of the book. It is fine for adult rea
Alz

The themes in this book are very good, both the subtle and the upfront, particularly when they all come to a head in the end--themes about survival, ideals, the brutality of reality, and patriarchal societies. The worldbuilding is also interesting, detailed and thought-out enough to be plausible and acceptable, although some of the tech stuff that arose near the end went over my head--which maybe it was supposed to. Either way, it was well-written enough that it didn't bother me.

The tec
Vickie Ramage
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a book that helped spark my love of Dystopia, this tells the story of what might happen if the ice caps melt and the sea rises. Mara and her family live in a tiny village that is quickly becoming swallowed up by the rising tide. Bored inside she stumbles on a plan to escape when switches on her old computer and discovers something she never knew - that she's not the only one in her virtual world.

I strongly believe that the best Dystopian tales are also adverture tales and this book definitel
Eva Inevitable
So being Scottish I thought it was cool that this was set in a futuristic Scotland, however I was extremely unimpressed with the book. I don't want to get into a rant or anything so I'll try and keep this succinct. I was actually quite enjoying the story to start off with; an interesting setting in a drowned forgotten world...but it didn't last. On several occasions I found myself staring at the book thinking; "Are you serious?" or "Are you kidding me?" Everything I adore in a novel was either m ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review Link

Rod Serling’s Summary:

Picture a future, call it the year 2100. This girl you see here is Miss Mara Bell, and that rock she stands on is what she thinks is the last island in a sea-covered world. We’re about to discover that the sea won’t stop rising, and Miss Mara Bell is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime across an ocean of dreams, hopes and nightmares. She is about to skirt the edges of a strange new world, one that we call The Twilight Zone.

Review:

In the year 2100, M
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by JodiG. for TeensReadToo.com

What if everything you've heard about global warming is true -- and we haven't done enough to change the course of events?

Mara is a fifteen-year-old girl who lives on the island of Wing. The polar ice caps are melting, flooding most of the earth. What is left of Mara's primitive island is rapidly being claimed by the rising tide. Among the ruins of an abandoned cyberworld Mara meets another, someone who promises her that there is a safe haven in the New Wo
Aerin
Mara Bell is fifteen years old and the exact image of her grandmother Mary. She lives on Wing, an island in the northern part of an Earth nearly drowned by the melting of the polar ice caps. The waters are continuing to rise, and Mara must trust the instincts she inherited from the strong women in her family. She convinces her neighbors to flee the island for refuge in one of the sky cities, the tall feats of technology so high as to be safe from the storms and rising waters. When they reach the ...more
Corinne
Imagine our world if the ice caps really do thaw - what would it be like? What would we do to survive when we see the ocean creep up to the places we love? In Exodus, the cities and land that we know are now deep underwater and in the commencing chaos, Mara's ancestors settled on the tip of the island of Wing. As yearly storms rage and the water rises, her community realizes that soon there will be nothing left - and Mara has a crazy idea that might save them all.

What a plot! This post-apocalypt
Carolyn
This story started well and then kind of fizzled out. Too many different storyline directions, none of them resolved. If you're looking for a new Hunger Games, this will disappoint, but it might be an acceptable substitute for younger grades.
I had the sequels out, but I'm returning them to the library unread.
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'Exodus' takes a giant leap into the future and is set in 2099 at a time when global warming has wreaked havoc on the planet and the melting of the polar icecaps has led to mass flooding and destruction. The story begins on the island of Wing which is in danger of being engulfed by the rising sea level. When the situation worsens the residents of the island have to set out to seek new land and a new life.

The story is told through the eyes of Mara who has never known a life beyond the one her and
Lauren James
A future dystopia about the sea levels rising and a village that is one of the only islands left in the UK slowly going underwater. The internet is a kind of 3D world that has been long since abandoned and the girl starts exploring its ruins, and finds a fox avatar that she makes friends with. Online dating of the coolest most adventurous kind.

This is one of those books which is totally under-appreciated. It’s one of my absolute favourites, and it’s insanely well thought-out and unique. But, mor
Jessica Horne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016_books
This book had an interesting plot idea but poor delivery. This could have been a good trilogy if written better. Hardly anything was explained, the romance made zero sense, the emotions were not rational, I did not feel any connection to the protagonist. The first half of the book is description without much explanation. There seems to be a turning point approaching when they find the sky city (after a general description of a journey nothing personal to the character) only to frustrate me as it ...more
ambyr
There were flashes of this that I liked. Mara really worked for me as a character, and I loved the beginning, with its description of life on the slowly failing island and the determination of the villagers to cling to what they knew even when they also knew it had no future.

Unfortunate, most of the rest of the book left this mantra in my head: Technology doesn't work that way. Libraries don't work that way. People don't work that way. Exodus didn't so much suspend my disbelief as hang it from t
Suzanna
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. Truly a fantastic adventure of a girl in the future where the ice caps are melting and the world is sinking beneath the waves. Mara's world (her island of Wing) is disappearing and having been cut off, not knowing if there is more people out there, except one hope ; Fox a mysterious being Mara meets while searching the remains of the weave (cyberspace)for clues.

Fantastic story, really sucks the reader in. a great reading book for upper ks2. i feel that this is the kind of book
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: claire cannon
LIKES:
**the setting (think former orkney islands north of scotland) --one of my favorite places and cultures, but might be too stark and nordic for some readers' taste.
**the ending ... ooh, how twisty and unusual. not the stereotype "can't live without you, so who cares about the rest of the world."
**our heroine's strength, moral compass, and clear-sightedness

this is a bit more literary and genre-specific than the average YA dystopia, which limits the adoring audience a bit.

PG13 for severe clim
Carol Coutts
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done distopian sf. When the ice caps melt and the oceans rise, what happens to humanity? There are some niggling problems with the world-building for me but I think teens will find this fascinating and scary.
Sophie
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's about the world in 2100. The polar icecaps have all melted so almost all the world is under water. This book worries me about the future on this earth.
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced, imaginative adventure with an awesome female MC (seriously, Mara Gets Stuff Done) and a love interest who is LITERALLY a fox. Literally. Good stuff.
Emily Rose
Jan 06, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This sounds kinda like Chaos Walking...
Fiona
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book which I've had for at least fifteen years. I actually put it in a box to be given away as I thought I'd never get around to reading it, which then ended up sitting in the shed for years until I fished it out again recently. I'm glad that I didn't give it away as it's a great book. The worldbuilding's strong enough (with a similar feel to Hexwood in terms of the combination of old and new) that I almost wish it was the start of a series rather than a one off.

As it's based around t
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*2.5 Stars*

For the most part, this book was really slow and almost stale. I like the concept, but the execution didn't really impress me. Mara is a bit dull, and the other characters barely make an impression. The author introduces a romantic interest 85% of the way into the book with a boy Mara met days ago, and aside from being completely rushed it's also annoyingly unnecessary to the plot. Although I suppose it can be argued that if you have to have a romance element, at least the romance its
Cajlady
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up randomly at my library. Sometimes I laughed at the writing because it sounded like something I would write but even so I liked the book more than I expected because it was unexpected.
Anne Hamilton
The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is because I find the point of view in it unchancy, uncanny and at times unsettling. The unusual mix of present and past tense in the writing style gives the impression that the point-of-view character through whom the action is seen is the world itself. It feels kinda creepy at times.

So the totality of my complaint mostly comes down to the off-putting writing style. It's really a pity because in other respects I loved this book.

As soon as the n
Renuka
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Insignia
I really liked it! I did indeed. It was really, pure science-fiction and I gloried in the 3-D internet landscapes and floating cities of the future. Mara is a young girl living on a simple farm on an island. The storms rage for days and the water continues to encroach on their land. However, Mara has an escape, a device that transports her to the long dead Weave, staked with information. There she meets a Cyberfox for an instant and decides to prompt her people into leaving the islands before th ...more
Mir Lei
Mar 31, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
  • Restoring Harmony
  • 20 Years Later
  • Floodland
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • The Blending Time
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • Epitaph Road
  • The Unidentified
  • Famished
  • The Other Side of the Island
  • Salt (The Salt Trilogy, #1)
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • Empty
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • The Diary of Pelly D
  • Veracity
  • Nomansland
  • Scored
Julie was born in Ayrshire and grew up near Glasgow, where she now lives with her family. After a degree in English Language and Literature, she was the editor of a small magazine, a teacher and a freelance journalist. Julie has written many critically-acclaimed, award-winning novels for teenagers and younger readers. She speaks in schools, libraries and at book festivals across the UK.
More about Julie Bertagna...

Exodus / Raging Earth (3 books)
  • Zenith (Exodus, #2)
  • Aurora (Exodus, #3)

“You can betray someone with a word or an action. You can betray them with silence or inaction too. And in betraying that one person, you can betray a whole world.” 14 likes
“Keep going and never stop.” 7 likes