Start by marking “Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)

Again the Magic

(Wallflowers #0.5)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  30,495 ratings  ·  1,519 reviews
She gave him her innocence . . .

Lady Aline Marsden was brought up to marry a man of her own class, but from the moment she meets John McKenna, she risks everything to be with him.

He gave her his heart

Although their love is forbidden, McKenna's passion for the beautiful Aline is too compelling to deny.

When their secret is discovered, their world is shattered. McKenna is
Mass Market Paperback, 410 pages
Published May 26th 2015 by Avon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Again the Magic, please sign up.
Yankeecountess
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenndaww It is not directly related to the other Wallflowers (Annabelle, Lillian, Evie, and Daisy), but it relates to Marcus's sisters. Marcus is later paired…moreIt is not directly related to the other Wallflowers (Annabelle, Lillian, Evie, and Daisy), but it relates to Marcus's sisters. Marcus is later paired with Lillian in "It Happened One Autumn". It also sets the scene for Stony Cross Park (Marcus's home) as a lot of events are held there.(less)

·  30,495 ratings  ·  1,519 reviews

Start your review of Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Scars of the past Stars

photo chelsea-says-enoy_zpsgp1hvwhm.gif

Again the Magic was a good read. It's has two love stories in it. This book kinda reminded me of 2 of Jane Austen's books. Pride and Prejudice because it has two sister's love stories in it. Aline reminded me of Elizabeth Bennet and Livia reminded me of Jane Bennet. It also reminded me of Persuasion with the second chance love story about the hero being beneath the heroine's station in live so he goes off makes something of himself and comes back to rub it in her face
Shawna
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of historical romance with 'childhood friends-to-lovers', 'revenge', & 'reunited lovers' themes
Recommended to Shawna by: Eastofoz
5+ stars Historical Romance

I really enjoyed (loved!) this touching, emotional read of two childhood best friends turned sweethearts of opposing social classes whose love is torn apart by unfair prejudices, society rules and expectations, secrets, lies, mistrust, pride, and vanity.

I loved McKenna, even when he was plotting Lady Alines ruin and being a cruel alpha, and his volatile and intense emotional reactions were so brutally honest and heartbreaking. Alines staunch secrecy and foolish pride
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers and Fans of Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers series.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Someone who was really, really smart!

Lisa Kleypas has done it again, and in a big way. Again the Magic is a wonderful story with so many dimensions and so much depth that I was up until the wee hours of the morning, unable to put it down. This story is actually a prequel to the Wallflowers series. While Ive never seen it listed as a numbered book in the series, the characters in Again the Magic are featured heavily in It Happened One Autumn, book 2 of the Wallflowers, as well as in the other Wallflower novels.

There are so many good
Auntee
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Kleypas's Wallflowers
Boy did I love this one, but the TSTL heroine almost ruined it for me! Oh Aline, what you put poor McKenna through...

My thoughts...

I should have known what I was in for, after blubbering and sniffing my way through the first 3 chapters--this was one angsty read! I totally fell for (John) McKenna, who went from bastard stableboy in love with a beautiful, unattainable daughter of a duke, to millionaire American in 12 short years. When 19 year old Lady Aline Marsden sent young McKenna away (and how
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4 Stars*

An enjoyable, steamy escape!

This isn't exactly breaking news to romance readers, but Lisa Kleypas is a goddess in her genre. She truly excels in her steamy love scenes which are as passionate as they are explicit. Again the Magic is an edgy historical romance that offers a double dose of taboo love during a time where venturing outside of one's social class was not only unheard of, but inarguably forbidden.

Our main couple, Aline and McKenna, are childhood friends who gradually and
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars (but I'm rounding it down to 3 stars because I didn't like it as much as the other LK books I've rated 4 stars.)

I'm not going to write a review because there are already a gazillion reviews not only here but all over the internet. I'm just going to point out what I liked/disliked in this book, since I seem to be in the minority for not loving it as "everyone else".

Likes:
- McKenna, Gideon, Livia, Westclif... In sum, every character but Aline (and her father, of course.)
- The beginning
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
If I were asked to choose one special book by my favourite author Lisa Kleypas, it would have to be AGAIN THE MAGIC, the prequel to her Wallflower series. The emotional impact of this powerful and moving love story never diminishes no matter how many times I read it.

Aline Marsden and John McKenna are young and passionately in love, but it's a forbidden love. Aline is the eldest daughter of the Earl of Westcliff while McKenna is a mere stable lad on her father's estate. Their happiness comes to
Anna
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anna by: "That's All" Ash
5 TAKE ME AS I AM ~ stars !!

Since the day that John McKenna had been brought to the estate at the age of 8, he and Aline had been constant companions for ten years, climbing trees, swimming in the river, and running around barefoot. But eventually things had begun to change between them. No healthy young man could fail to be stirred and set off-kilter by Aline, who at the age of 17, had become the loveliest girl on God's green earth.

Lady Aline Marsden

Warm, high-spirited, and beautiful in all
Mo
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Ill marry no man but you McKenna. And if you ever leave me, Ill be alone for the rest of my life."
"Aline . I would never leave unless you told me to go "

Aline was his curse, his fate, his consuming desire. He would never stop wanting her, no matter what she did, no matter how many oceans and continents he managed to put between them.

"No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do."

"You sleep too," she said groggily, her hand creeping to the center of his chest.
"No." McKenna
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Perhaps only those who had loved and lost could appreciate this magic.

I think I say this in all of my historical romance reviews, but it's not really a genre I enjoy reading most of the time unless it is done well. Having been a history major in college it really grinds my gears when the suspension of disbelief gets to be too much. That was not the case with this book. I was easily able to take a step back and enjoy this angsty romance for what is was: a great second chance
Daniella
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do.

I would give this 10+ stars if I could, because Again the Magic is one of the best romance stories I've ever read.

What made this so impressive was the fact that almost all the characters were so beautifully written and well-developed. They were so alive. Even the secondary characters had depth. They weren't simply there to support McKenna and Aline, but they also had a lot to offer.

I
2.) It Happened One Autumn ★★★
3.) Devil In Winter ★★★★
4.) Scandal in Spring ★★★★

--------------------------------------------------

I definitely had some issues with this one, including my most hated trope of all time happening not once, but TWICE in this novel *facepalm*. I also had issues with the language regarding males 'posessing' and 'owning' women and consent (COZ Y'ALL. CONSENT IS IMPORTANT), but I read this in less than 24 hours and I
Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 stars. The only thing which kept me from holding back on a 5 star is that I missed the frequent humor which I've loved in other books by this author. The reason I consistently recommend Kleypas to friends of mine who don't read historical romance is because many of her books have it all : good story, steamy romance, and plenty of moments which will make you laugh.

That said, this is still probably my favorite Kleypas to date. I had tears come to my eyes quite frequently while reading. From
Duchess Nicole
FIVE STARS!!!

Lisa Kleypas is simply a master Historical Romance writer!!

If you've read her, then you know what I mean. If you haven't, DO IT NOW!!! You're missing out on some of the most heartfelt, swoony, so-romantic-your-eyes-fill-with-tears stories. Seriously, I teared up at least three times while reading Again the Magic. My chest actually hurt. And these aren't sad tears. They're over the top girlie tears that only happen when I gain a new book boyfriend.

McKenna is a classic LK hero in
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: This is a hard one to rate tbh. It has two couples and two different storylines. While Aline and McKenna definitely take the primary position, I actually liked Gideon and Livia better. Both Aline and McKenna made some choices towards the end that was really off-putting to me. The ending was also lackluster in that I didn't get the closure I wanted, but I get that this is the beginning of a series so I'm sure these characters will show up in the later books. I wouldn't
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
***4.5 From a stable boy to a king stars***

FORBIDDEN LOVE IN 1800's!

An orphan stable boy and a high class girl's friendship blossoms into a forbidden love. Aline's father does NOT find McKenna to be worthy of his upperclass daughter. He sends McKenna away.
"I'll love you until the day I did. You're the only man I'll ever want, McKenna, the only -"

TWELVE YEARS LATER

McKenna is now an accomplished man who has revenge in his heart. He has returned Stony Cross. Aline has a cross to bear that
sraxe
Oh yay...another book in which the hero doesn't remain celibate while the heroine does.

I really, really didn't like McKenna. My God, I felt like Leo Hathaway while I was reading this and thinking, Good God, this ones worse than Harry. But you know? This was like a toss-up at the Asshole Olympics. What's worse? Being a hypocritical bastard, like Harry, and manipulating, publically compromising and then just forcing a woman into marriage (during a time when divorce wasn't a viable option for a
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Romance Readers!
5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den
The worst thing you can do for love is deny it; so when you find that special someone, don't let anyone or anything to get in your way.
~ Author Unknown

It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.
~ Author Unknown
Lisa Kleypas is one of my absolute favourite authors. Most of her books are keepers for me. I devoured her
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
MCKENNA 😭😭💕💕💕💕 Ive never felt so wrecked by an LK novel. I loved this so so much!!! ...more
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my life...to lie in your arms as I take my last breath.

This is my second historical romance this year and I've added it to my favourite reads of 2016. Lisa Kleypas where have you been all my life?! A few friends have recommended this series to me and I kept thinking..."Nah,
Jo
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes HR!
Ill marry no one but you, McKenna, she whispered. And if you ever leave me, Ill be alone for the rest of my life.
His dark head lowered over hers. Aline, he said in the hushed voice that he might have used in prayer. I would never leave unless you told me to go.

Now this is how a second-chance romance is supposed to be written. I ADORE this book!

Lady Aline Marsden and John McKenna grew up together. Shes nobility and hes a mere servant on their estate, but that never mattered to them. They

Ronyell
Imagine having loved someone at a young age, but you both realize that it was a forbidden type of love and at the time, you thought that the only way to protect your lover is to drive them away from your life. Well, that is what had happened in Lisa Kleypas historical romance novel, Again the Magic. Again the Magic has drama, romance, lies, secrets and excitement that outshines from most romance novels ever written and it will have you waiting in anticipation as you read this book!

Years ago,
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who like childhood friends who become lovers
This book was phe-no-men-al! Were talking an A+ read here! It starts out quick so that youre right into the thick of it all and it just keeps you turning those pages to see whats going to happen. Dont start this book in the evening because unless youre a super fast reader you will not be sleeping any time soon!

McKenna is one wicked hero. Hes so intense and not afraid to tell Aline that he loves her. He cries, he laughs, he broods hes just one amazing alpha! His deep-seated hatred for Aline as an
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one has been reviewed by soo many of my friends, that this will be short, and not in anyway a summary.

***There Will Be Spoilers Ahead***

I'm in love with a stable boy...no really. ::sigh:: McKenna

I loved Aline and McKenna, and how we got to see them before the betrayal.

I thought the way McKenna came back to hurt Aline was soo well done. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I am a sucker for the betrayal and redemption plot...but only if it works. And this one worked. I agreed with Aline
Didi
I. LOVED. THIS.

I don't think I'm capable of writing a review that would even skim the surface of how good this book was. Can LK write anything lacklustre? The woman is a master, a thief of perfectly written prose. If she wrote an instruction manual about proper lawn care I would damn well read it!

Again the Magic was everything a beautiful and intoxicating HR should be. I was either tearing up or revered by the writing, it was insane!

Add to that a very poignant and heartbreaking friends-to-lovers
mich
I dont read a lot of historical romance. Ok, thats an understatement. Two. Ive read two HR books before. I liked them well enough, but I dunno, whenever I look at my kindle, the HR choices never seem to draw me. Im gonna start reading more of them, cuz this book has shown me how into it I can be! :)

The chemistry between our two leads was really, really good. And even better was the intensity of their feelings for each other that reached out from each page and grabbed me and held on tight. I
Hayat
4.5 magical stars!

I thought I had outgrown pure historical romance without a supernatural or magical twist of some kind to keep things interesting, but Lisa Kleypas reawakened my love for HR with Again the Magic. And now I'm addicted to this series, I even went ahead and read the next two books of the Wallflowers series!.

***RTC***
Jan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread Jan 18th, 2019. Upped to 4 stars.

Original review August 2017:
3.5 stars. This book is a prequel to the Wallflowers series, which I wasn't aware of initially, so I've ended up reading it after the rest of the series. Oh well. I still enjoyed it.

This book has two romances, not one. Double value! Lady Aline is a rather lonely child, and she befriends an orphaned boy who is a servant in the stables at her home. McKenna and Aline seem made for each other. Their close childhood friendship
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lady Aline Marsden, sister of Marcus, Lord Westcliff, has been friends withe John McKenna since they were children and as they have gotten older the friendship has grown in to love and pasion, however, it is not to be, McKenna is just a stable boy, a servant where as Aline is a Lady. When her father finds out Aline is forced to make him hate her and send him away. Twelve years later McKenna comes back to Stony Cross much changed with revenge on his mind, unaware of the secrets that Aline holds.

• Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)

Wallflowers (4 books)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)