Start by marking “Many Years a Thief” as Want to Read:
Many Years a Thief

Many Years a Thief

2.8  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Published by Wakefield Press Pty, Limited (AUS)

To ask other readers questions about Many Years a Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Years a Thief

Tegan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
There first convict era novel I've read set in Western Australia! And also the first I've read to focus solely on the transport of young boys, which is an area of interest for me. Despite the unique perspective of this novel and wanting to like it, the writing of the piece was so unusual it affected my enjoyment, especially its stilted dialogue. I trust this book sticks very closely to history, so I appreciated learning more about this part of Australian history.
garry
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A simple but touching account of the trial and eventual execution of a 15-year-old once convicted of theft, but subsequently of murder, as seen through the eyes of his state-appointed guardian John Schoales. The author depicts the early Western Australian colonial setting effectively in his retelling of an unfortunate story, and the depth of character which he has added to what is known of the people involved lends an intimate viewpoint for the reader to understand the events.
Kate
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book, it told the tale of a juvenile hanging in the colony of Western Australia. It was a story that I hadn't heard before. It was fascinating to be able to follow the characters up streets that I know and landmarks that still exist in both Perth and Fremantle.
Shell
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Quick read about some Aussie history. Sad tale of a 15 year old ward being hanged in western Australia for murder.
Lynette