Start by marking “Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best” as Want to Read:
Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best

Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  919 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Eugene Peterson explores the heart of what it means to be fully and genuinely human. His writing is filled with humor and self-revelation, insight and wisdom, helping to set a course for others in the quest for life at its best.
Published January 29th 2008 by InterVarsity Press (first published November 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Run with the Horses, please sign up.
Ian I read the book of Jeremiah as I was reading this - he goes through it from beginning to end, and you can see where he is at in Jeremiah, in each…moreI read the book of Jeremiah as I was reading this - he goes through it from beginning to end, and you can see where he is at in Jeremiah, in each chapter of this book. That worked really well for me.(less)

Jake
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was strangely just what I needed. Peterson talks through the life of Jeremiah and his story. He takes the narrative of Jeremiah's life and connects it to the narratives of all believers. He talks about being the best that you can be.

I found this book to be very enriching to my soul. In a weird sort of way, I couldn't read it quickly. I felt as if I needed a few days to deal with the truth of each chapter, applying it to each and every part of my life. For something that I thoroughly en
Jessica
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As usual with Peterson's books, I thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful statements of truth in this book. Like Lewis, Peterson is great with metaphors and helps me visualize the backdrops of Scriptural passages. This book draws from the life of the prophet Jeremiah, and after reading it I feel like I have a better grip on Jeremiah's world. And there are lots of connection points to our world -- Peterson is so good at highlighting those! This book was absolutely worth reading and I shall, undoubtedly, ...more
Mark Thomas
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
First I should say that I am a big fan of "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction" and I am a person who is glad that we have "The Message" Bible paraphrase. I am a Eugene Peterson fan so I may have rated this a little higher than I would have if someone else had written it. What I enjoy is that it seems that he invariably has some very quotable ideas about Christian living and the life of faith.

This book is a study of the book of Jeremiah but really is a study of how to live a life that has mea
Joe
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For some reason, I've always been drawn to Jeremiah the prophet. I've often wondered why God chose to reveal so much about this man's character compared to the other prophets in Scripture. Peterson takes the portrait given to us in Scripture in Jeremiah and expands on it beautifully. Jeremiah did not see much in the way of results during his ministry; he grappled with God and wondered why he was chosen for his task (similar to Moses). But in the end, he was faithful to what God had called him to ...more
Nathan Metz
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Run with the Horses is a study in the life of Jeremiah. Peterson follows the book of Jeremiah covering every major event with his attempt at making the life of a prophet the standard for normal Christian life. The admirable goal of the author is made stronger by the character and text which was chosen. Prophecy books are some of the most underused Scriptural texts. Prophets by their very nature are considered mostly unrelatable and outcast from mainstream society. The result is a study which pul ...more
Jan Anne
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Eugene Peterson is the granddad you never had. His ways of communicating faith, scripture, and 'Christian living' is beyond phenomenal. I read this because Bono said it had "kept him sane," and funny enough the book is almost a full argument against our pop-culture and it does a fantastic job at it. But the replacement of that culture is not appealing, at least parts aren't in my opinion. He assumes things about the Bible and other ideas that I would love to see challenged. I guess I had an imag ...more
Ty Roper
My life verse is Jeremiah 12:5 "If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete (or run) with horses? Lovely book about the life of Jeremiah. He was radical.
Fergus
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"So, Jeremiah, if you're worn out in this foot race with men, what makes you think you can race against horses? And if you can't keep your wits during times of calm, what's going to happen when troubles break loose like the Jordan River in flood?" (Jeremiah 12:5, Eugene Peterson translation in The Message)

We all get stung in daily life. If we're still working, it happens MANY times a day.

So what do we do? Get mad? Get even? Escape into our shell? OR - just continue trying to do our best? And ke
Chris
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I had seen the author with Bono on a YouTube video at the author's home on Flathead Lake in Montana and was intrigued. I just couldn't get into it and called it quits after 35 pages.
Gloria
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-spirit
First, I love the title both for its reference to horses, but also the sense of freedom it implies. This is an updated book previously published in the 1980s. The theme is the story of the prophet Jeremiah, a Biblical character I hadn't known much about.

What I liked about this book includes being able to read it in chapters and then put it down for awhile if needed so you can process it. Also while sometimes it seemed to bog down in places with history or religious background information, all of
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you have struggled to understand the book of Jeremiah, this is the book for you. The author brings Jeremiah to life. We feel his pains, understand his fears and are brought into his life in such away that we almost feel we are right there with Jeremiah throughout his time in Israel. The practical applications are also er wonderful and give a clear understanding of the book. You will never read Jeremiah the same again!
Spook Harrison
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most People
Recommended to Spook by: Anne Swanson!
Shelves: how-to-live
Amazing. I'm going to have to read more of Peterson's work, because this was such an invigorating view of a prophet I haven't spent much time learning about previously. Not only did this book give a lot of information and detail, but Peterson has a gift for making it relevant to one's own life, which is an integral part of religion!
Linensash
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Encouragement for a life of submission to God even during our bleakest times. The author looks at the life and obedience of Jeremiah to relate his strength in the face of great resistance to our ability to follow Christ during the trials we face today.
Nicole
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting take on the life of Jeremiah. I didn't find it quite as compelling as the other books by Peterson that I have read/am reading, but well worth reading.
John
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That subtitle, "The Quest for Life at its Best," is worrisome. It sounds like this might be another one of those Christian books about how I can be happy and healthy and prosperous in seven easy, spiritual steps.
Outside of the fact that I already know that's not where Eugene Peterson is coming from, it's also reassuring to know that "Run with the Horses" is a biographical profile of Jeremiah, sometimes known as "the weeping prophet." Granted, the best-known verses in Jeremiah probably is that bi
Carol
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eugene Peterson is the author of The Message, a modern day version of The Bible.

This book is about Jeremiah. Jeremiah is, of course, of the book of Jeremiah in the Bible. He also wrote Lamentations. He knows about depression. Sometimes called “The Weeping Prophet”, he is none-the-less a powerful guy and didn’t really want to be.

God called Jeremiah before he was even born to be a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah protested that “he was only a boy…” and after Jeremiah got over that hump it still wa
Carol
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a loved one who is probably not alone in thinking that the Bible is totally irrelevant for life in today's world. Framed a certain way, it's easy to see why he would think this. But this is one of those books that show a pretty ancient piece of biblical writing to be just as relevant today as when it was written more than 2500 years ago.

Dwayne, the pastor of my tiny church community, prays between reading text from scripture and preaching. This is a pretty common practice. What I've neve
Ivan Benedict
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently completed a 6-week Catholic Bible study, which
used this book and a study guide by the author. The book consists
of thoughts on various sections of the Old Testament book of
Jeremiah. The author is a Presbyterian minister. (Some videos
on the web show conversations between the author and his
friend Bono.)
The commentary is done in context of the history time of
Jeremiah and with language and literary analysis. I don't
agree with all the author's conclusions or interpretations,
but the
Heather Totten
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cry of God through the lips of Jeremiah............Jeremiah believed that every person is made for a relationship with God, and without that relationship acknowledged and nurtured we live falsely and therefore impractically. People try to be good without God and it doesn't work. We try to live the good life and not the God life, and it doesn't work. The waste of our underdimensioned lives is appalling, and Jeremiah was appalled. It is impossible to live thus without unfortunate consequences. ...more
Josh Davis
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eugene Peterson takes on the book of Jeremiah. It is a unique look at the prophet: Peterson writes this book more as a character study of Jeremiah than as a verse by verse commentary (much of Jeremiah is never touched on). At first that bothered me a bit, but I gradually warmed to the style and quite enjoyed the book by the end. If there is a weakness to the book, it is that Peterson uses a fair amount of conjecture in reconstructing Jeremiah (since the Bible only gives us so much detail). But t ...more
Missy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I kept hearing Eugene Peterson quotes from different speakers at church, so I decided to buy one of his books to read him for myself. I enjoyed the book, but didn't understand what he was doing until about half way through when my Bible reading plan "happened" to land in Jeremiah. Read Jeremiah as you read this book. The richness of it is difficult to express. There is encouragement here for all believers who are digging in deep and remaining engaged in kingdom work - no matter the countering in ...more
Kirsten
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book did a great job of exploring what we know of the life of Jeremiah, and of applying Jeremiah's example to our lives today. Some chapters I found very encouraging, some chapters I found rather convicting, and there were a lot of things I needed to hear for one reason or another. Also, the practical applications generally seemed to flow quite naturally out of the descriptions of Jeremiah's life, which helped things connect for me. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Chuck
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Will read numerous times again. Originally stalled my reading pace by taking vast and helpful notes, I decided to read fully without those helpful hesitations. Note taking can return in future reads, as there is so much to learn here and in the life/character of Jeremiah. The author's skilled art with words makes it a most engaging read even beyond the alluring subject.
Cynthia
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while reading the book of Jeremiah concurrently. I have never understood or appreciated Jeremiah the man or Jeremiah the book so much as I do now, because of this beautifully written story of the prophet and his message.
Mary
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a commentary on the book of Jeremiah. It is wonderful to read along with the Scriptures. I have a book in which I keep quotes that are noteworthy. Several of them came from this book. God taught me much! Highly recommend.
Carol K
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
After much anticipation the reading of this book was very timely - both in my personal life and in the current times. It's not a difficult read but there's a lot to chew on here and so I intend to keep it close by.
Brian Bailie
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep, but not so deep that it was difficult to read.
Jeremiah and Lamentations are not the most jolly books you will ever read - but Peterson really brings their author to life in a way that I never expected.
Doug Eaton
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reading this book was like listening to a preacher who reads a Bible passage and then goes on to talk about whatever he wants. Some insights may be interesting, but much of it has little to do with the actual text. If you are looking to understand the book of Jeremiah, this is not the book to read.
Beth
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A poetic rendition of Jeremiah. Pastoral easy read.
Shasta
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is amamzing and will be a perfect book to do with my women's Bible study group!
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
  • Gracias!: A Latin American Journal
  • The Gospel According to John I-XII (Anchor Bible Series, Vol 29)
  • The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life
  • The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy
  • When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes
    $21.99 $3.99
  • The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life
  • Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Woman's Worth
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Before Jeremiah knew God, God knew Jeremiah: “Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you.” This turns everything we ever thought about God around. We think that God is an object about which we have questions. We are curious about God. We make inquiries about God. We read books about God. We get into late-night bull sessions about God. We drop into church from time to time to see what is going on with God. We indulge in an occasional sunset or symphony to cultivate a feeling of reverence for God. But that is not the reality of our lives with God. Long before we ever got around to asking questions about God, God had been questioning us. Long before we got interested in the subject of God, God subjected us to the most intensive and searching knowledge. Before it ever crossed our minds that God might be important, God singled us out as important. Before we were formed in the womb, God knew us. We are known before we know. This realization has a practical result: no longer do we run here and there, panicked and anxious, searching for the answers to life. Our lives are not puzzles to be figured out. Rather, we come to God, who knows us and reveals to us the truth of our lives. The fundamental mistake is to begin with ourselves and not God. God is the center from which all life develops. If we use our ego as the center from which to plot the geometry of our lives, we will live eccentrically.” 13 likes
“THE PUZZLE IS WHY SO MANY PEOPLE LIVE so badly. Not so wickedly, but so inanely. Not so cruelly, but so stupidly. There is little to admire and less to imitate in the people who are prominent in our culture. We have celebrities but not saints. Famous entertainers amuse a nation of bored insomniacs. Infamous criminals act out the aggressions of timid conformists. Petulant and spoiled athletes play games vicariously for lazy and apathetic spectators. People, aimless and bored, amuse themselves with trivia and trash. Neither the adventure of goodness nor the pursuit of righteousness gets headlines.” 10 likes