Start by marking “Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds” as Want to Read:
Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds

Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds

Beth Moore's #1 best-selling book (more than one million copies in print) is available in paperback for the first time!

Praying God's Word is the perennial favorite Scripture-prayer resource designed to help us decisively overcome specific strongholds: pride, idolatry, addiction, loss, depression, unbelief, temptation, and more.

No matter how overwhelmed or out of control a
Published September 1st 2009 by B Books (first published March 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Praying God's Word, please sign up.
Renee Richardson I used to love Beth Moore...And I feel her writing and book studies have served their purposes for my spiritual growth. I am going in another…moreI used to love Beth Moore...And I feel her writing and book studies have served their purposes for my spiritual growth. I am going in another direction lately with my reading, namely apologetics, so I find that her writings do not interest me as they once did. I have seen very positive comments as well as the opposite, but I would suggest that if your wife is finding her relationship with God growing and she is still very much reading God's Word in addition to any book, she may just be in a different spot than you in her walk with our King. All that to say this: I have not found Beth Moore to be theologically unsound. (less)

Bess
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book several years ago and have picked it back up several times since then. The covers are worn as I've referred to it repeatedly since that first time. It's a great treatise on prayer and one I've picked up when I've been at a loss for what to pray. It's often reminded me that praying how and what we should is found in the first place we need always turn to, God's Word. More than any other book, God's Word should be our go to book for prayer like anything else. This book is a ...more
Rebecca Jo
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book for quite a while now, it is an integral part of my quiet time with the Lord in the morning and I don't seem to stop reading it over and over. Praying the Word back to God these past few months has been powerful in my walk with Christ. There is POWER in praying God's word back to Him! By God's grace He has been so faithful to deliver me from many strongholds that have held me captive for years, misbeliefs and lies that I held as core truths and values in my life! On ...more
Dot
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Awesome book, that can be an independent study, topical bible study or just a personal reference on several "trouble spots" of the christian walk. I have seen it used as a group bible study but because of the temptation to share outside of the group, I would recommend a very defined and disciplined fixed group to be the most successful. I use it as a topical reference and "check-up" for my heart condition and my walk.

Overcoming
The Insecurity of Feeling Unloved
Feel
Carmen
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I read this book at a wrong time in my life... Or it may be my catholic upbringing with "man made prayers" that makes me unconfortable with Praying God's Word. I prefer to talk to God instead. I read His word and reading it reminds me that what I am asking is within His will, which is mainly what the author says in this book. But I prefer to use my own words or just say "Lord, I don't know what I need, but I trust You. Please help!"
Allyson
Skipping ahead to strongholds that were relevant to me, I didn't find this book particularly fulfilling. The first chapter was excellent. It really got me thinking that I needed the same message Ms. Moore learned: Don't believe in God. Believe Him!

I found somethings didn't sit well with me. I need to find a book on the same subject by a Catholic. I just believe different things than her. We have the same basics, but I crave depth. I need depth that only Catholicism will (and has) satisfy (satis
Amy
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved loved loved reading this every morning with my coffee! Beth has worded the scriptures into prayers, topically, for focus on areas we need the Lord's help to overcome....pride, insecurity, guilt, etc. Can't recommend this one enough! Prayer is so powerful, much more so than any self-help strategies.
Soul Passport
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to choose a single book that was pivotal in changing my life's direction, this is it. It's an amazing book. I have the audio version as well and often times listen to it as I lay in bed at night. Thank you, Beth, for listening to God's direction in your life. You've changed this life forever.
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on my Kindle, but I have ordered a copy to mark up and use again and again. Not only that, but I have already ordered and given away three copies Beth Moore addresses strongholds with which people struggle, and she brings compassionate and loving insight into these issues, followed by scriptures that can be used to combat these strongholds as "the battlefield is the mind."
Molly
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
It's a good reference for those moments when your mind gets confused and muddled and you lose the plot (which for me is all the time)
Whether you happen upon hurt feelings, unforgiveness, depression, or anything that clouds your ability to think straight, it is so great to have this book handy.
Kerry Cotten
I still use this book with my prayer time
Adam Shields
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Short review: After reading the cover story in Christianity Today in August on Beth Moore, I thought I should probably read something by her. I had a copy of Praying God's Word in audiobook that my mother had purchased on our shared Audible.com account a couple years ago. So I started listening to it. It was great content. If you have heard about praying by using scripture, but have never done it or would like more instruction, this is a great place to do it. But DO NOT get this on audiobook. It ...more
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and comprehensive, Moore's Praying God's Word is just that: a topically organized set of scriptures she has written into prayers and organized according to the strongholds that have the greatest impact on most believers. Each chapter begins with an outline of a stronghold-- addiction, despair, and unbelief among others-- often including personal anecdotes and testimonies of having overcome a particular stronghold.

This may not necessarily be a book to read from start to finish. T
Dionne
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: spiritual
I can't even begin to say how much I love this book. I have never thought so highly of a book that I've gone out and bought copies of it for family and friends, but I've done that with this one.

For years I've wanted a book that had done the research on scriptures that could be turned into prayers. Beth Moore has done that and so much more. I have yet to read or study anything done by Beth Moore that I wouldn't rate with 5 stars!!

I give this book my highest recommendation! You don't want to jus
Karen
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, 2012
Intense book if you work through it front to back. It has so much content. And I can see it being a great book to refer back to when I'm going through any of the specific problems it breaks down in the individual chapters.

This book definitely made me read the Word in a new way. I search more for application and ways to pray and connect with the stories.

I definitely recommend this book, but I don't know if it's the best book to go through in a small group setting. I think it would be better self
Britt
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me some wisdom I was needing, particularly the chapter on Belief. Many chapters do not apply, but Beth Moore covers just about every stronghold in this book and how to pray yourself or others out of it. I found it helpful to have read the other chapters because it allowed me to be more compassionate to others with different struggles.
Mevanee
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful prayer guide for praying about the strongholds of idolatry, pride, lack of forgiveness, hurts. Moore once again does a great job of making God's word apply to our lives, particularly our prayer lives. I've prayed all my life, but I found the book added a new depth to my prayers and a new meaning for my prayers.
K
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't really what I was looking for. It is mostly just a series of short prayers that are just paraphrases of scripture. Not easy to read and pray, I am finding the Day by Day version of the book to be more useful. Nothing against Moore's writing, I was just looking for something to inspire my prayer life and this format didn't do it.
Scarlett Pierson
Must buy this book immediately! Not a book to borrow! The prayers listed are so great. If you are struggling with truth and strongholds this book must be purchased, then studied, read, recited, meditated on because it's all scripture to the specific need. What a great book!
Leslie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to learn more about praying scripture for quite some time and this book has definitely helped in getting me going. It's a process and as she writes in the end not all topics will be found but the Word of God will always have an answer.
Joy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve finished reading through this book but I can’t say I’ve finished the book bc it’s really a reference of sorts. This will be one I refer to from time to time.
Ashley
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
What an awesome resource! This book takes God's promises from scripture and turns them into heartfelt prayers. Even more importantly, the book encourages you to use your own words and gives you some opportunities in the last chapter. This is not a book you read cover to cover, so I focused on the chapter about praying through depression. There was a lot of truth and hope in that chapter. It was so encouraging to see other characters from the Bible crying out against their own darkness, and cling ...more
Chris
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so helpful! It's not mystical or name it claim it, it's just the bible and prayer. For instances I was struggling a lot with hurtful people and really just wanting to rage against them. This book had a chapter on praying God's word when rejected. She has a chapter full of verses that applied directly to my situation and ways I could turn those into prayers! printed some out and kept them in my immediate area. I prayed them A LOT! They changed the way I reacted to abuse and helped me keep ...more
Queen  Diva
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by my spiritual mom, who is also a first lady waiting for her husband to be obedient before he will be appointed a pastor over a church again, four years ago. I read it from time to time as a reminder that I have power and dominion through the word of God. When I pray God's word things shall come to pass. I must be mindful of the power of God's words when praying for HE hears me and angels are commanded to take my words to heaven and to bring them down to earth to come to p ...more
Nicole
More of a devotional than a book to read, per se. Wonderful prayers based on Scripture arranged by topic. I have the Kindle edition and the format doesn't lend itself to be utilized as easily. I got the devotional that accompanies this book at the same time (both were offered for free for a limited time along with a number of other books by Moore) and that works better for me on the Kindle. I think a print book would be better for this title because one could just flip to different prayers based ...more
Mariana
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a Biblical perspective I think this is a God-breth book. It talks about and prompts you to use God's Word as the weapon It IS. It's not a book from the writer, but from God Himself, organized in many topics such as addiction, pride, and many other stringholds, and can be continued by the reader following the same "recipie". God's word talks about every stronghold possible, we just need to dive in, and the use of this book may help you love this Spirit-powered weapon.
Nick
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Moore’s book is a powerful tool grounded in scripture that helps people lost in their sin, whatever kind, to pray Scripture into their lives to overcome and conquer said sin. It is a book that addresses all sorts of obstacles along the path of following after Christ that many people struggle with and it is ripe with examples of scriptural prayers and places to take notes of your own personal prayers. I recommend it to anyone who wants to broaden their prayer life.
Christina
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-book-list
This will be a book I will refer back to, I'm sure. There are so many strongholds that can take over our lives and keep us from obtaining the relationship with our Heavenly Father that we so desire, as well as the happiness and freedom we long for. It is highly likely that at least one of these chapters will apply to your current place in life, and either way, reading through the scripture prayers and recommended verses is a wonderful way to dive into the truths of the Bible.
Julie Abels
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I really liked the book, but I was a little disappointed still.

I'm not sure what I expected, just something more... In the past I've done several Beth Moore studies but this is the first Beth Moore book I've read. Maybe I was expecting as much out of a book by her as I get out of one of her studies???? But overall it was good and I often refer back to it for help finding specific scriptures during specific struggles.
Michelle
I found some of the concepts and tools that the author tried to teach in this book very useful. I look forward to adapting the concept of praying God's word to my own prayer time and it has given me much food for thought. I must say though that I struggled with the format of this book. It made it difficult for me to stay on topic. That did force me to slow down and live with this book for a while which is probably for the best.
Felicia
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I highly recommend this book to anyone experiencing (or close to someone who is) anxiety and/or depression. This is an excellent tool for prayer and meditation in hard times, you can read the whole thing or pick out sections that speak to you. Ms Moore prepares prayers you can use and references scripture, also, you can build from her prayers or look at how she constructs them and make your own. I'll be referring to it again and again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear From God
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • A Woman's Walk with God: Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • How to Study Your Bible
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Streams in the Desert, KJV
  • What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
Beth Moore has written many best–selling books and is a dynamic teacher and a prolific Bible–study author whose public speaking engagements take her across the United States to challenge tens of thousands. Beth is focused on teaching women all over the world and is known and respected wherever she goes. She is a dedicated wife and mother of two adult daughters and lives in Houston, Texas, where sh ...more
“Faith is not believing in my own unshakable belief. Faith is believing an unshakable God when everything in me trembles and quakes.” 29 likes
“May God remind us daily—no matter what kind of obstacles we face—that we are loved and empowered by the One who brought the universe into existence with the mere sound of His voice. Nothing is impossible for Him.” 17 likes