Start by marking “Skin and Bones” as Want to Read:
Skin and Bones

Skin and Bones

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
James Thorne Smith Jr. (1892-1934), was an American writer of humorous supernaturnal fantasy fiction. Best known today for his creation of Topper, Smith's comic fantasy fiction (most of it involving sex, lots of drinking, and supernatural transformations, and aided by racy illustrations) sold millions of copies in the early 1930s. Smith drank as steadily as his characters; ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 260 pages
Published January 1st 1933 by Doubleday Doran

To ask other readers questions about Skin and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin and Bones

Algernon
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
[7/10] I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars because I really liked the book - it is a non-stop laugh fest, in a truly screwball rendition of the roaring 20's and with the over-elaborate insults that makes you dive for a dictionary and the party like i's the end of the world attitude. On the other hand, no matter how well written and energetic it may be, it is really a one joke book and it tends to get repetitive.

For all that, our great grand parents sure knew how to have a good time. The quantity o
Jim Dooley
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
At one point in the story, one character asks another in frustration if he must always be drunk. Of course, based on the ones I've read, it wouldn't be a Thorne Smith book if the alcohol didn't flow more freely than water and the most enlightened people knew that life wasn't worth living without frequent sexual escapades...although almost every character will protest against improper advantages being taken!

The writer's forte is in creating the most compromising, utterly incredible situations and
Jacobmartin
This Thorne Smith guy is more goth than Tim Burton these days, and I could see myself worshipping this dude if I was into Hot Topic when I was younger.

But I never went to Hot Topic except for that one time I visited Los Angeles on a holiday trip, and I'm not cool enough to be goth.

I'm unused to humourous fiction so I'm a bit perplexed as to how to interpret jokes in written form, but this is one of the best attempts at "funny in book form" I've ever read.
Rose
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a situation -- a photographer keeps changing into a skeleton which puts him into all kinds of wild Jazz Age troubles including scaring all the patrons out of a speakeasy. Strangely fun.
J A
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The book was ok, just a tad slow to read. T Smith doesn't put a enough in his book I feel. Still, I will try to read more of his works.
Janice Russell
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Maybe because the humor here is so dated it just didn't work for me.
Anmol
Apr 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Funniest book I have ever read, hahaha
Dennis
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering when it was written this book doesn't show its age very much. I quite enjoyed it.
Joan Seignior
Christopher
Apr 22, 2017
R.K. Cowles
3 1/2 stars
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli