Jump to ratings and reviews

The Love Poems of Rumi

Born Jalal ad-Din Mohammed Balkhi in Persia early in the thirteenth century, the poet known as Rumi expressed the deepest feelings of the heart through his poetry. This volume consists of new translations edited by Deepak Chopra to evoke the rich mood and music of Rumi's love poems. Exalted yearning, ravishing ecstasy, and consuming desire emerge from these poems as powerfully today as they did on their creation more than 700 years ago.

'These poems reflect the deepest longings of the human heart as it searches for the divine. They celebrate love. Each poetic whisper is urgent, expressing the desire that penetrates human relationships and inspires intimacy with the self, silently nurturing an affinity for the Beloved. Both Fereydoun Kia, the translator, and I hope that you will share the experience of ravishing ecstasy that the poems of Rumi evoked in us. In this volume we have sought to capture in English the dreams, wishes, hopes, desires, and feelings of a Persian poet who continues to amaze, bewilder, confound, and teach, one thousand years after he walked on this earth' - Deepak Chopra

64 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 1273

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rumi

883 books14.1k followers
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī - also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master") and more popularly simply as Rumi - was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian and Sufi mystic who lived in Konya, a city of Ottoman Empire (Today's Turkey). His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

His poetry has influenced Persian literature, but also Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Azerbaijani, Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu, as well as the literature of some other Turkic, Iranian, and Indo-Aryan languages including Chagatai, Pashto, and Bengali.

Due to quarrels between different dynasties in Khorāṣān, opposition to the Khwarizmid Shahs who were considered devious by his father, Bahā ud-Dīn Wālad or fear of the impending Mongol cataclysm, his father decided to migrate westwards, eventually settling in the Anatolian city Konya, where he lived most of his life, composed one of the crowning glories of Persian literature, and profoundly affected the culture of the area.

When his father died, Rumi, aged 25, inherited his position as the head of an Islamic school. One of Baha' ud-Din's students, Sayyed Burhan ud-Din Muhaqqiq Termazi, continued to train Rumi in the Shariah as well as the Tariqa, especially that of Rumi's father. For nine years, Rumi practised Sufism as a disciple of Burhan ud-Din until the latter died in 1240 or 1241. Rumi's public life then began: he became an Islamic Jurist, issuing fatwas and giving sermons in the mosques of Konya. He also served as a Molvi (Islamic teacher) and taught his adherents in the madrassa. During this period, Rumi also travelled to Damascus and is said to have spent four years there.

It was his meeting with the dervish Shams-e Tabrizi on 15 November 1244 that completely changed his life. From an accomplished teacher and jurist, Rumi was transformed into an ascetic.

On the night of 5 December 1248, as Rumi and Shams were talking, Shams was called to the back door. He went out, never to be seen again. Rumi's love for, and his bereavement at the death of, Shams found their expression in an outpouring of lyric poems, Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi. He himself went out searching for Shams and journeyed again to Damascus.

Rumi found another companion in Salaḥ ud-Din-e Zarkub, a goldsmith. After Salah ud-Din's death, Rumi's scribe and favourite student, Hussam-e Chalabi, assumed the role of Rumi's companion. Hussam implored Rumi to write more. Rumi spent the next 12 years of his life in Anatolia dictating the six volumes of this masterwork, the Masnavi, to Hussam.

In December 1273, Rumi fell ill and died on the 17th of December in Konya.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
135 (3%)
1 star
52 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 255 reviews
Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.6k followers
October 5, 2021
The Love Poems of Rumi, Rumi

Edited by Deepak Chopra; translated by Deepak Chopra and Fereydoun Kia‬, ‎London‬: ‎Rider, 1993, 62 pages

علت عاشق ز علتها جداست عشق اصطرلاب اسرار خداست
Love has no cause; it is the astrolabe of God’s secrets.

عاشقی گر زین سر و، گر زان سر است عاقبت ما را بدان شه رهبر است
Lover and Loving are inseparable, and timeless.

هر چه گویم عشق را شرح و بیان چون به عشق آیم خجل گردم از آن
Although I may try to write about Love, I am rendered helpless;

گر چه تفسیر زبان روشنگر است لیك عشق بی زبان روشنتر است
Although I may try to describe Love, when I experience it I am speechless.

چون قلم اندر نوشتن میشتافت چون به عشق آمد، قلم بر خود شكافت
چون سخن در وصف این حالت رسید هم قلم بشکست و هم کاغذ درید
عقل در شرحش چو خر در گِل بخفت شرح عشق و عاشقی هم عشق گفت
My pen breaks and the paper slips away, at the ineffable place, where Lover, Loving and Loved are one.

آفتاب آمد دلیل آفتاب گر دلیلت باید، از وی رو متاب
Every moment is made glorious, by the light of Love.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و ششم ماه فوریه سال 1999میلادی

عنوان: اشعار عاشقانه رومی؛ شاعر: مولوی؛ مترجم از فارسی به انگلیسی: دیپک چوبرا؛ فریدون کیا؛ لندن، رایدر، 1372، در 62ص؛ موضوع شعر شاعران ایران - سده 13م

تاریخ بهنگام رسانی 07/08/1399هجری خورشیدی؛ 12/07/1400هجری خورشیدی، ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Sarah.
183 reviews394 followers
July 29, 2017
Looking For Your Face

From the beginning of my life
I have been looking for your face
but today I have seen it

Today I have seen
the charm, the beauty,
the unfathomable grace
of the face
that I was looking for

Today I have found you
and those who laughed
and scorned me yesterday
are sorry that they were not looking
as I did

I am bewildered by the magnificence
of your beauty
and wish to see you
with a hundred eyes

My heart has burned with passion
and has searched forever

and afraid of God
to call it divine

Your fragrant breath
like the morning breeze
has come to the stillness of the garden
You have breathed new life into me
I have become your sunshine
and also your shadow

My soul is screaming in ecstasy
Every fiber of my being
is in love with you

Your effulgence
has lit a fire in my heart
for me
the earth and sky

My arrow of love
has arrived at the target
I am in the house of mercy
and my heart
is a place of prayer
Profile Image for Heidi The Reader.
1,366 reviews1,414 followers
April 22, 2017
I think Rumi's poetry is unsurpassed in its mysticism and beauty.

"In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems."

"You dance inside my chest,
where no one sees you,"

"but sometimes I do, and that
sight becomes this art."
pg 62

When my husband and I were first dating, we lived in different parts of the country. This was one of the books he sent when he found out that I loved poetry. He bought himself a copy too and we read it together- separately. Then we talked about it on the phone later. This was in the days before Skype or Facetime. It seems so quaint now.

"I desire you
more than food
or drink"

"My body
my senses
my mind
hunger for your taste"

"I can sense your presence
in my heart

for one gesture
one glance
from you"
pg 34

I'll be married for 11 years this May.

If you ever meet someone romantically interesting who tells you they like poetry, buy them a book of Rumi. You won't regret it- at least, my husband says he doesn't. :)
Profile Image for Patrick Gibson.
818 reviews66 followers
September 16, 2009
Both light and shadow
are the dance of Love.

Love has no cause;
it is the astrolabe of God’s secrets.

Lover and Loving are inseparable
and timeless.

Although I may try to describe Love
when I experience it I am speechless.

Although I may try to write about Love
I am rendered helpless;

my pen breaks and the paper slips away
at the ineffable place
where Lover, Loving and Loved are one.

Every moment is made glorious
by the light of Love.

Profile Image for Tisha.
358 reviews880 followers
October 21, 2017
“I have died to myself
and I live for you.

I've disappeared from myself
and my attributes,
I am present only for you.

I've forgotten all my learnings,
but from knowing you
I've become a scholar.

I've lost all my strength,
but from your power I am able.

If I love myself
I love you.
If I love you
I love myself.”

...........................................

"Oh God
Let all lovers be content
Give them happy endings
Let their lives be celebrations
Let their hearts dance in the fire of your love"

These beautiful verses are my favorites from the book which left me craving for some more.

But reading some lines made me feel that they lost their original depth of emotion because of the translation. Hence, 4 stars.
Profile Image for Ala'a Ahmed.
73 reviews179 followers
March 5, 2014
كتاب قصير وجميل يحتوى على مجموعة قصائد فى الحب والحياة ..
أعجبنتى القصيدة :

You are the drop, and the ocean.
You are kindness, you are anger,
You are sweetness, you are poison.
Do not make me more disheartened.
You are the chamber of the Sun,
You are the abode of Venus,
You are the garden of all hope.
Oh, Beloved, let me enter.
You are daylight, you are fasting,
You are the fruit of misery,
You are water, you are the bowl,
Oh, give me some water this time.
You are the grain of wheat, the snare,
You are the wine, you are the cup,
Raw you are, and cooked too you are.
Oh, do not leave me quite so raw.
You, the sudden resurrection,
You, the everlasting mercy,
You, who comes forth bringing fire
Into the dry wood of my thoughts.
You, the chamberlain of the sun,
You, who merit every hope,
You, whom we seek, and you who seek,
You, the end and the beginning.

والجزء الفريد فى العشق والحب :

Without you, I cannot.
You are my wine, my joy,
My garden, my springtime,
My slumber, my repose,
Without you, I can't cope.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
873 reviews50 followers
June 13, 2012
So one night I got all hopped up on the idea of getting my poetry collection all entered into goodreads, so spent the evening transporting stacks of books from my shelves to my computer and back, entering ISBNs. Many books I spent some time flipping through, trying to remember if I'd read them all the way through, and if so, what I'd thought of them. This book was so short, I thought, "I should just read it now, and I'll know for sure."

This book was, sadly, a disappointment. It was Rumi, alright, so there was wisdom, and irreverence, and reverence, and love. But the translations just didn't sing to me. They were too heavy, somehow. Just as I was thinking how much better I loved Coleman Barks's translations, I reached the end, where Chopra confesses how his work was inspired by Barks, and he includes a few of Barks's versions of examples and immediately I found them as moving as Chopra's versions weren't. These were cleaner, brighter, somehow. More fully realized in a modern poetic sensibility.

Okay, that last sentence gave me the vapours. I need to go lie down.
Profile Image for Edda.
1 review45 followers
April 24, 2014
My heart is on fire!
In my madness
I roam the desert
The flames of my passion
devour the wind and the sky

My cries of longing
My wails of sorrow
are tormenting my soul

You wait
patiently
looking into my intoxicated eyes
You accept my passion
with the serenity of love
You are the master of existence

One day I shall be
a Lover like you
Profile Image for Tuba.
103 reviews36 followers
January 21, 2016
People want you to be happy.
Don't keep serving them your pain!

If you could untie your wings
and free your soul of jealousy,

you and everyone around you
would fly up like doves.
Profile Image for d.
219 reviews156 followers
April 26, 2015
Comentarios y fragmentos para el futuro. El amor es como un ladrón en la noche.

I- Sobre la alquimia como una forma de dialéctica. Elogio de un Dios alquimista.
You are the master alchemist.

You light the fire of love
in earth and sky
in heart and soul
of every being.

Through your loving
existence and nonexistence merge.
All opposites unite.
all that is profane
becomes sacred again. (p. 19)

II- El sueño es humo, el amor y Dios-en-el-cuerpo.
You arouse with your touch
although I can’t see your hands.
You have kissed me with tenderness
although I haven’t seen your lips.
You are hidden from me.

But it is you who keeps me alive. (p. 22)

III- La experiencia física (el baile/rito) como fuente de conocimiento y unión con lo otro (Dios/los amores/la esencia).
In my hallucination
I saw my Beloved’s flower garden

In my vertigo
in my dizziness
in my drunken haze
whirling and dancing
like a spinning wheel
I saw myself
as the source of existence

I was there in the beginning
and I was the spirit of love

Now I am sober
there is only hangover
and the memory of love
and only the sorrow (p.25)

IV- El amor hace dioses de los hombres. Vitalismo. El enamorado y el bailarín como Superhombre nietzscheano:
My friends have become strangers
and I’m surrounded by enemies
but I’m free as the wind
no longer hurt by those who reproach me

I’m at home wherever I am
and in the room of lovers
I can see with closed eyes
the beauty that dances
behind the veils
intoxicated with love
I too dance the rhythm
of this moving world
I have lost my senses
in my world of lovers (p. 29)

V- Desde El Corán: amar a una persona es amar a todo al Mundo. (Quienes se unan a sus esposas estarán más cerca de Allah.)
I am ashamed
My arrow of love
has arrived at the target
I am in the house of mercy
and my heart
is a place of prayer (p.47)

VI- Crítica de la legalidad, elogio de una espiritualidad interior.
I’m sick of mortal kings.
I long to see your light.
With lamps in hand
the sheikhs and mullahs roam
the dark alleys of these towns
not finding what they seek. (p.16)

Cease looking for flowers!
There blooms a garden in your own home.
While you look for trinkets
the treasure house awaits you in your own being. (p. 48)
Profile Image for Lori.
1,416 reviews55.9k followers
Read
December 26, 2015
Lovely little book of poems that my husband bought for me for christmas.
All together now....
Awwwwww....!
Profile Image for Satyajeet.
111 reviews327 followers
June 9, 2018
Rumi is great, a genius! This is not about Rumi.

I would rate this -1 if that was possible to do. I love Rumi, and I've read quite a lot of his work. This is the worst thing that can happen with Rumi's work! I'll just say it simply, do not pick this book. I repeat, DO NOT!
Skip this in every possible way, do not come near this, please read the original literal translations - which is available in most languages - or you can go for the one by Coleman Barks or the one by Bernard Lewis, anything except this!
I am so furious to see this charlatan's name associated with Rumi! I knew about Deepak Chopra before this too, and so it was not very surprising to me to see this converted into this crap. This is extreme nonsense. He 'improved' and 'translated' this! I don't know where to begin, but I won't say anything more about this Chopra guy for...reasons.
For people who've read this, and thought this was 'good', 'okay', or 'beautiful in its own way', I feel sorry for you - I am sorry.
Some people think Trump is good, some think Kanye is better than Eminem - maybe they're all one. I don't know. Let's just leave that here.
I'm sorry to rant, but just...just skip this one, okay?
Thanks!
Profile Image for Rifat.
432 reviews187 followers
October 13, 2020
Poetry is something that suddenly arises in the mind and it's related to the surroundings of poet. Respected Rumi had shown the alchemy of love, the effects of love, how people thinks after falling in love.
Likely-
I am drenched
in the flood
which has yet to come.

Or, In the existence of your love,
I have become nonexistent.

Or, Every part of me goes in different directions.
Is it really so
that the one I love is everywhere?

I once explained to my friend that nothing in the world is free. She laughed out and I continued explaining. This is to say that people love, here also the issue of debt is involved. Although there is no involvement of money, the issue is to be happy in each other's presence. People love others to make happy thyself. People make their lovers happy because their happiness rely on theirs.

Here comes respected Rumi to help me with these lines -
If I love myself
I love you.
If I love you
I love myself.

I loved these lines the most.

All praises goes to translator. But I don't think the way the poet says that can be translated completely. May be the translated poem loses its original appeal albeit a little. That's why 4 stars.
Profile Image for Marijana ☕✨.
420 reviews88 followers
January 9, 2021
I will soothe you and heal you
I will bring you roses
I too have been covered with thorns
Profile Image for Peach.
Author 2 books12 followers
April 8, 2008
I'm reading and re-reading love poems lately, as I'm getting married next month and have been on the hunt for the perfect reading for our ceremony. Rumi, who I always thought of, maybe only by stereotype and not really by truth, as a steady, sort of wise thinker who contemplatively and maturely crafts poems from this noble, truth-holding sort of place, is kind of crazy when it comes to love.

I'd hoped to find a reading that would capture the essence of love in a peaceful and harmonic state: without frenzy and fury, without agony and desperation. Instead, with Rumi I've found drunken madness--his words, both of them. It seems that in Rumi's world, there is a division between being in love and the rest of life: "Because of your love / I have lost my sobriety / I am intoxicated / by the madness of love / In this fog / I have become a stranger to myself / I'm so drunk / I've lost the way to my house."

I don't want to believe that being in love means you lose your home. In fact, personally, being so far from my physical home and making the decision to become part of another family, I want some sort of reassurance that committing to love does not separate one from one's original home. I also don't believe that being in love means you find your home--

I believe, I guess (conviction, right?) that love, especially when it comes to marriage and partnership, is a partial blend. I maintain my "self"; he maintains his "self." And then we jointly make a third "self" which becomes the relationship between us.

Rumi says to his sweetheart, "Your touch has filled me with desire / I am no longer separate from you ... Let me merge with you."

Merge. Merge not. I actually think that I'm offering greater respect to my loved one if I do not merge with him, but rather, if I let him stand separate from me, and admire him, and support him, and adore him without actually becoming him. We are stronger this way, as two separate people joining forces, rather than simply folding into one.
Profile Image for Laurie Hanan.
Author 15 books161 followers
April 27, 2008
Wow, what can I possibly say to describe the poetry of Rumi? I couldn't see through my tears as I tried to read. I want to feel the same ecstacy in my connection with God that Rumi felt all those years ago.

In some parts, you'd swear Rumi had been reading A New Earth, back in the 1200's. Or maybe Eckhart Tolle is a fan of Rumi?
14 reviews1 follower
June 25, 2009
i cannot say enough of Rumi.
a must read...especially if you're a lover.
Profile Image for Austin Wright.
1,187 reviews20 followers
August 27, 2014
Rumi is the best. Why Chopra decided to manipulate his poems I'll never know (C.R.E.A.M.)

Please read literal translations of Rumi!!!

If you're interested, Bernard Lewis' "Music of a distant drum" is amazing and has a real flavor of Rumi and his peoples.

Profile Image for Akash.
200 reviews25 followers
December 31, 2022
"Die, die, die in this love.

If you die in this love your soul will be renewed.

Die, die, don’t fear the death of that which is known.

If you die to the temporal you will become timeless.

Die, die, cut off those chains

that hold you prisoner to the world of attachment.

Die, die, die to the deathless and you will be eternal.

Die, die, come out of this cloud.

When you leave the cloud,

you will be the effulgent moon

Die, die, die to the din and noise of mundane concerns.

In the silence of love you will find the spark of life."

কলিজা সারাজীবনের জন্য শীতল করে দিয়েছে।
Currently reading
January 24, 2011
THE GENRE OF THIS BOOK IS POETRY AND REMINDED ME OF MYSELF AT SOME POINTS.IT WAS A POETRY BOOK NTHAT REMINDED ME OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IN PAST RELATIONSHIPS WITH LOVERS AND FRIENDS.THE LOVE POEMS OF RUMI HAD A CHARACTER DEVELOPE THAT MADE THE READER UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS NOT JUST ONE SOUTION TO EVERY PROBLEM. I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE I WENT THROUGH MY PAST EXPERIENCES TO AVOID ALL THE EXTRA ACTIVITY.THE STRUCTURE OF THIS BOOK IS LOVE, FEELINGS, EMOTIONS, AND OBLIGATIONS. WHEN I READ EACH POEM THERE WAS A TITLE THAT SHOWED AND TOLD WHAT THE POEM WAS TELLING THE READER. DEEPAK CHOPRA IS A GREAT POET THAT CATCHES A READERS EYE BY STRONG WORDS HE IS ALSO VERY KEEN AND HAS ALOT TO SAY ABOUT DIFFERENT TYPES OF LOVE BUT HE DOES NOT RHYME IN ALL OF HIS POEMS BUT I LOVE RHYMING. I STILL CONTINUED TO READ HIS BOOK AND IMAGINE I WAS IN ALOT OF HIS SITUATIONS OR HIS SURROUNDENCE THAT HE LETS ME UNDERSTAND THROUGH WORDS.I RATE THIS BOOK AT A FOUR STAR AND HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS TO SAY ABOUT THE LOVE POEMS OF RUMI.
Profile Image for Daniel Lomax.
72 reviews7 followers
March 20, 2014
I should have known anything Deepak Chopra put his name to would be drivel. It's like the bad poetry of a repressed teenager. I feel this and I feel that, blah blah blah. Free-association in all the wrong places. It does however come across as sincere (and, mercifully, terse).

I also feel like Rumi was not making full use of his time machine by using it to name several of his poems after 20th century pop hits, such as "Looking For Love", "Desire" and "Do You Love Me?".

Hold up! Before you go...I admit I found this poem-ender very beautiful:

All that is profane
Becomes sacred again.
Profile Image for Dipkamal.
50 reviews3 followers
July 22, 2020
I was expecting more beautiful poetic prose since Rumi is celebrated as one of the most talented poets in literature. I felt like the beauty of the verses was lost in translation. The three poems at the end of the book which are taken from another translation stand out as the best poetry in the whole collection. Disappointed with the work of the translator. Started a new book on Rumi by a different translator. I'm only halfway through, but there's much more beauty in the verses.
Profile Image for Edd.
83 reviews2 followers
November 3, 2022
"Although I may try to decrible love. When I experience it I am speechless"
I wish I could give more stars. I am in love with the poems of rumi.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 255 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.