Start by marking “Heart of the Witch” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Witch

Heart of the Witch

A beautiful young witch must choose between maintaining the anonymity of her coven and trusting the detective who would bring a heartless serial killer to justice.
Published December 1st 2009 by Love Spell (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Witch

Start your review of Heart of the Witch
Aimee
Ravyn Skyler is abducted one night by the Tin Man serial killer. His plans on mutilation and rape don't include her being a witch. Which he suffers for greatly.

But Ravyn now has to cover the fact that she's used her powers to harm another person. Not only can she not tell the authorities how she managed to escape without disclosing that she's a witch, she cna't let her coven know that she's used magic in a way that is against their laws.

Now the Tin Man Killer is out for revenge. And she gets a
Katy
Jun 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad
Radella
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
The book begins with Ravyn at the mercy of a serial killer known as the Tin Man. But Ravyn has a secret- she's a witch. While she is able to escape certain death, she doesn't trust the police to catch the Tin Man, mostly because she doesn't want her secret getting out. Nick Lassiter is a former cop, now little more than a washed-up, alcoholic private investigator. He has been hired to catch the Tin Man, so he inevitably crosses paths with Ravyn. What he isn't expecting is the instant and deep at ...more
Lily
May 20, 2011 marked it as to-read
115 pages in, so far so good. this was a free book from b & n on the nook. I just got my nook today and needed a book to read. since this one was free i went for it. i wasnt expecting much for a free read but was pleasantly surprised.
Anne-Kathrine
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. Some parts were painful to read because they were vivid! Will def look for other books from this author :)
Lexi Muhlenbeck
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I was entranced from the beginning. Couldn't put the kindle down! Definitely a must read for magic lovers or romance readers. ...more
Dhfan4life
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
What I liked: The magical ability of the witches in the story. I'm the kind of fantasy lover that loves to see and read about witches being able to do things with their spells and candles. And even have natural abilities. No offense to real wiccans. But I truly enjoy being swept away in the magical fantasy of powers.

Although I wasn't a fan of Sorina's(Main character, Ravyn's sister) overtly bubbly manner and crying at the drop of the hat. I have to say I give her props for loving Ravyn no matter
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars.
Heart of the Witch by Alicia Dean is a stand alone novel filled with some romance and a bit of action.
Ravyn is a witch who survives an attack by a serial killer, she is the only woman to ever survive. With the aid of her sister, Ravyn works to move on from her attack while hiding her heritage from the police. With the police investigation going nowhere one of the other victim's husband hires private detective Nick Lassiter to find the killer. Upon hearing of Ravyn's
Rhonda
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ravyn was kidnapped in a parking garage by a serial killer called the tin man. He tortures them before killing them in a broken cabin in the woods. Ravyn was drugged and is tied up naked on a gurney and has a burning knife seared on her stomach. All of a sudden her eyes go wierd and he feels his groin on fire. tin man screams and takes off in his car. some poachers come running and cut her loose and dial 911. Ravyn tell the cops a little but is afraid her coven will find out she used her power t ...more
Liz
May 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a free Friday on my Nook... And two words that I have for this book is WOMP WOMP!!!! What a waste of my freaking time... This book was all over the place... I found myself having to reread sentences because the author would switch from character to character without a decent segue... I literally struggled to get through this book and I haven't struggled to finish reading a book since college and that book was for a science course and when I compare the two this book is way worse....I ne ...more
Jamie
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this free read. I can see how others wouldn't like it though. It is a romance but it's not all rainbows and unicorns. I always appreciate a fantasy or paranormal book that's not all about vampires, so I really liked the witch aspect. What I enjoyed the most, was that it started out like an episode of criminal minds with a serial killer ... then gradually got more into a sci-fi romance. It wasn't all pretty and I appreciate writing that can creep me out, yet still make me fall in l ...more
nicole
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I mean, I have never really been a huge fan of witch romance, but it was well written and had a ton of shocking turns, which kept my interest. I was very involved with the characters and could visualize exactly what the writer wrote. I would definitely recommend this book, it was a free download for free friday for nook.
karyn jacob
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any one who likes to read about Witch’s and what they do will like reading this books. I like reading about witch’s and all other books like this.some off this could be true or what ever you want to do.

It is like being in a different time and place.i like to think that some off this can go on.
Joyce Lazzara
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
was a free book and was very suprised. i was imiedietly sucked in as it didnt take time to build up excitement. i was on the edge of my couch telling my kids to leave me alone because i had to know what happened next! loved it!
Michelle B
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
this book was better than i expected it to be. it starts out really strong however, the end is just lacking substance. it felt like the author rushed to finish the book but other than that it was a decent read.
Tracie Condie
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Was a good murder mystery as it turned out to be with a little bit of romance in there. I really liked it and the Characters stayed true to form. Nick and Ravyn. Wow!! I really liked it.. Thanks Barnes and Noble for the free book.
Ashley Thuillier
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a freebie on nook. Very easy read but I thought that the book was well written and kept me interested.
Stacy
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is last Week's free Friday Nook book. Not a very good book - Barnes and Noble needs to improve the Free Friday selection! ...more
Nicole
Jun 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Free Nook Book, gonna give it a try :)
Marie
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
An Ok book (was a freebie on the Nook). Never have read a 'witch' type novel before - actually it was somewhat captivating. Read it in a day. I would read this author's books again. ...more
Julie
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, intense, kept me reading. I just felt like for such a good book the end was kind of disappointing.
Doug
Oct 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Besides a few gratuitous sex scenes in the beginning of the book the story line was just okay. This was a free Nook book for me, but I would not recommend reading.
Pat
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, dnf
Combination of supernatural powers and bits of neopaganism was so awkward that I gave up. Also, good grief, do these people talk and give each other information and yak; pace was so slow, I started to skim out of boredom long before I realized that I really didn't want to know more about any of the characters. (What I assume is the romantic couple haven't met 60 pages into the book? What kind of romance does that?)

And, "Ravyn"?!? Really? That's the name a 12-year-old gives herself; it's not the
Aimee
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I enjoyed the novel plot and characters. It was well edited and even if the rules Ravyn and her coven lived by seemed a little too strict, it was entirely believable. Great read. Well edited.
Sandy Powell
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!!

I couldn't put this book down...suspense, thriller, magic. Definitely a good read and I would love a crime fighting sequel.
John Anthamatten
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read but pretty much predictable.
Erth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Lyla
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Heart of the Witch was a lot better than I had anticipated upon reading a few reviews before starting the book. Personally, I was fully engaged right from the start. I don't know if it was because it began amidst a traumatic event or what, but I knew from the first page that I'd be completing this read. There was no question about it.

At first, I thought this was a young adult book, but it's geared towards adults. There's a little bit of everything in it. You have fantasy, they're witches; you ha
Kim
Jul 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In dialogues between two characters, any two characters in this book, the author does some good story-telling; I did not enjoy any other aspect of this book.

The main characters are filled with so much pain from what they are currently experiencing and from what they've experienced in the past that it is really hard to connect with them, as the only attributes they have besides their painful histories are 1) a need to be alone and 2) looking sexy. And while it's been proven time and time again th
Kelly
While this wasn't a bad book by any means, I was never really drawn into it to the point of being unable to put it down. I never connected with the characters like I thought I should. In part, I think this stems from initially meeting Ravyn as she was on the verge of being tortured. I didn't have the chance to get into her head before she was closing down as she attempted to deal with her kidnapping, torture and misuse of her powers.

Now, in all fairness I should point out that Ravyn was known fo
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Heart of the Witch 1 8 Jul 11, 2011 07:19PM

• Soulless at Sunset (Last Witch Standing #1)
  • Bloodlust By Midnight (Last Witch Standing Book 2)
  • Absorbed
  • Witching For Moxie (Premonition Pointe, #5)
  • Jade Calhoun Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)
  • Angels of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #4)
  • Shadows of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #5)
  • Bewitched on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun #7)
  • Incubus of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #6)
  • Hexed on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #8)
  • Spirits, Spells, and Wedding Bells (Pyper Rayne Book 5)
  • Witching for Clarity (Premonition Pointe, #4)
  • Spirits, Beignets, and a Bayou Biker Gang (Pyper Rayne, #3)
  • Spirits, Diamonds, and a Drive-thru Daiquiri Stand (Pyper Rayne #4)
  • Bitten at Daybreak (Last Witch Standing Book 3)
  • Witching for Joy (Premonition Pointe, #3)
  • How It's Supposed to Be (Oath of Bane #1)
  • Wicked Days (An Ivy Morgan Mystery #1)
See top shelves…
I am a suspense and paranormal romance author living in Edmond, Oklahoma. I have three grown children. My passions are reading, writing, wearing pajamas, and watching (or rewatching) my favorite television shows such as The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Justified, and Dexter. I am a huge MLB and Elvis Presley fan. I usually mention one or both in every novel and short story I write. :-)

News & Interviews

Readers just can't get enough witch stories in 2021. And what's not to love: It's not everybody who can attend shadowy academic societies,...