Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Everything known about magic in ancient Egypt: the role of magic in controlling the gods, powerful amulets that warded off evil spirits, scarabs of immortality, use of wax images, formulas & spells, the secret name, etc.
Preface
Antiquity of magical practices in Egypt
Magical stones or amulets
Magical figures
Magical pictures & formulæ, spells etc.
Magical names
Magic
Published June 1st 1971 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NY) (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Jeannette Jackson
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
Varmint
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Jim
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the beginning, it's obvious this book is written by and for Victorian Christians. The word superstition gets thrown around a lot. Once you get past that, it's all fact with little editorializing. This is a good overview of what was known of Egyptian magickal practices. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions but so does everything else in Egyptology.
Joeri Ryckaseys
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Zeer degelijk werk over de Oud Egyptische religie, hun rituelen, geloof en bijgeloof. Ik heb er heel veel van bijgeleerd. Zeer interessant hoe sommige rituelen zelfs bleven doorleven tot in de 19de eeuw. Wallis E.A. Budge is ook niet de minste, hij was een befaamd Egyptoloog en zelfs verantwoordelijk voor de Assyrische en Egyptische afdeling in het Brittish Museum. Het enige minpunt aan dit boek is dat het niet altijd even vlot geschreven is.
Daniel G.
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to ...more
Keitra
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: witch-studies
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha
G.A. Wilson
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was
David Leroy
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Genndy
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting material, but poorly presented. It deals with various aspects of Egyptian misticism, like amulets, protection spells, mumification, afterlife, magical scriptures and so on, but no one who is not already well educated on the subject of Egyptian mythology is not going to profit much from reading presented materials. It is not begginer-friendly, and it obviously should've been.
Julia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Old-style and extremely detailed!
Cynthia Teow
It is a very informative and detailed book on Egyptian belief and culture.
Rebel Unicorn
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Un libro che ha i suoi anni, e nonostante si sentano, risulta ancora leggibile.
Amanda
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-egypt
So fun. I love the author's description of the multi-part soul.
K AKUA GRAY
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading history is a fun past time for me. I enjoy the time travel and nostalgia. to return to a great time in history especially a time as far back as ancient Kemet (the original name of Egypt) is of great interest to me because it is a past dear to my essence being a descendant of such a great people. The title of this book is quite alluring considering what the world already knows about Egypt's past greatness and how even today the land and its monuments are consider magical just to behold, b ...more
Stephen Simpson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It's practically mandatory that any review of a book written by Budge has to mention that he was, at best, a questionable scholar, a lot of his theories/writings have been discredited, and so on. That said, he was an accessible writer who wrote on a wide range of subjects regarding Ancient Egypt.

I haven't come across too many books about the Egyptian attitudes and practices regarding magic. This book doesn't go into much detail, but it at least touches on some of the major points. It's a decent
Debby
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting historic background on amulets, superstitions, and more. I was particularly interested to learn that so many aspects went into making a person: body, heart, name, ka (twin, soul), shadow, akh (ego), ba, etc.
Joe
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: witchcraft
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Zoe Forward
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Glenda
Dec 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Lizzy
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but I've read from other people into A.E. that this is not an accurate historical account of A.E. I guess that's why it can be found on Amazon for 1.99.
Peter J.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This was interesting, but it tended to echo much from his "The Gods of the Egyptians".
Jarrell
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
It's just a nice easy read of accounts of the magical practices in Ancient Egypt.
Davin
Jun 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
It was good, but.... 5 7 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Mr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Volume 1
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Liber Kaos
  • History of Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • الطب المصري القديم
  • Liber Aleph Vel CXI: The Book of Wisdom or Folly, in the Form an Epistle of 666, the Great Wild Beast to His Son 777, Being the Equinox, Volume III Number VI
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds; A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom
  • The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.