Start by marking “Three Little Pigs & the Fox” as Want to Read:
Three Little Pigs & the Fox

Three Little Pigs & the Fox

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Rooter, Oinky and their little sister, Hamlet, are three little pigs who aren't so little. They're getting bigger and bigger, and Mama decides it's time they each get homes of their own. She advises them to build strong houses, visit her each Sunday, and to watch out for that tricky old fox. When her brothers appear to be missing, can Hamlet outfox the fox? An ALA Notable ...more
Hardcover
Published October 16th 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published September 30th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Three Little Pigs & the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Little Pigs & the Fox

Michael
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
You might recognize this tale if you have read the familiar pigs/wolf version of the three little pigs, but this one has a lot of changes so it will not be what you expect. (To be honest, I don't know the origins of these tales so maybe this one is just as old as the more familiar one?) I liked that it was a little more complicated, although it sacrifices some of the repetition (a la "I'll huff, and I'll puff"). And it was kind of a nice change that there was a girl pig (the smart one), but the ...more
Emily Ramos-Niaves
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was an interesting take on the tale of the three little pigs. It basically took on the same idea as the original, except they used a fox instead of the "big bad wolf" and the pigs never built houses. They were just tricked by the fox. It is a tale tale that shows how one can use their mind and cunning to overcome obstacles and "defeat the bad guy".
Kaitlyn
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love revamped fairy tales but sometimes I don't love the way they are done. I really liked this one though. I started off feeling like it wasn't going to be much different but then things started happening to the pigs themselves and not just their houses. This is a fun rendition!
Roslyn Ross
Apr 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
-Not well written, lots of random extra information in the beginning that serves no purpose in the story, like that the mom built herself a very strong house but then none of her children build houses so… who cares?
-The mother warns her son to "watch out" for the fox but that is the only instruction he gets
-She also tells him to build a safe strong house but... that is more useless information as no one builds any houses in this story
-The fox doesn't "outsmart" the pig, he just kidnaps him. The
Lara Vickers
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I included this title for a study of various versions of the classic folk tale, The Three Little Pigs. It was my least favorite choice. It included the least amount of similarities to the earliest versions of this tale and was very wordy. The one thing I did like was that the hero of the story is the littlest pig who is a girl. She saves her brothers in the end.

I would recommend this title for a study of different versions of The Three Little Pigs and as a study of American sub-cultures for the
Samantha Jones
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Three Little Pigs and the Fox is well designed. Hooks uses pattern to help the reader predict what may happen, but then surprises the reader with a touch of flair in breaking the pattern! Schindler's watercolor cut-outs reflect the story well with action shots that are funny at times. The text is casual in tone and with all of the characters' lines, this story could be a lot of fun to hear acted out!
Anna
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and adults of all ages
Shelves: childrens
What a joy it was to share this one with my grandsons. The old story is given an American treatment, in the Appalachian Mountains. Our villain is a fox instead of a wolf. I particularly loved that the youngest pig, who outwitted the fox and rescued the family, was a girl.

Very much recommended!
Rebecca Dean
This is a good turn on the story three little pigs. There are many similiar traits to this story and the classic. I would use this book in my classroom to help the students comparre and contrast things. They could even make a vin-diagram.
Anson Sitoula
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
good book i liked it
Maggy Irene
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Themes: leaving home, coming of age, laziness, trickery, sibling relations
Lynn
Nov 23, 2015
Dana
Jan 02, 2016
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2017