Start by marking “Pocahontas” as Want to Read:
Pocahontas

Pocahontas

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  604 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
First published in 1946 with the d'Aulaires's beautiful lithographic prints, this tale of the first colony at Jamestown is told from the perspective of the princess daughter of the mighty chief Powhatan. When the Natives judge the white man's magic as evil, John Smith is condemned to death only the intervention of Pocahontas saves his life and a tentative friendship is est ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Beautiful Feet Books

To ask other readers questions about Pocahontas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocahontas

Asha
Sep 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Bad enough that my six year old found a copy of the Disney Pocohantas history mash-up somewhere, and that she is obsessed with long-haired princesses. Disney we know about. But this lamentably-lauded book was granted automatic credibility from living in her school's library.

One star is one too many. A quick glance is enough to see that it is full of derogatory depictions, as well as imprecision and straight-up lies (which is ironic, given Pocahontas is reported to have confronted John Smith abou
Patricia
Nov 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Useful in a college class on racism and sexism.
Not suitable for today's child.
Jill
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This children's picture book was originally written in 1946 so granted it has that historical stamp on it. The lithographs held my five-year-old's attention through the whole story. This is not a short-paragraph-on-each-page book, so I was surprised.

Is the the true story of Pocahontas? I'm sure there are many versions of that story depending on who told it and when and to whom.

I wanted to share a story of bravery with my daughter and this was a good read. It will not be the only encounter she o
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
This is a great book that should be read with some guidance and explanation from the parent.

This book contains a lot of outdated racial references. For example, the Native Americans are referred to as "red skinned" throughout the book. So I think that children need some explanation from the parent when reading this book. Parents also need to explain that some of the common anecdotes told about Pocahontas's life may be more myth than fact.

I still rate this book with four stars because the illus
Amy Lemley
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not the Disney version of Pocahontas, but does give more insight into why the Disney movie represented certain facts the way they did like Grandma Willow vs. the fact that she was a real grandmother. I liked learning new things about Pocahontas that I hadn't know before, like how she had dolls made out of corn husks, which she compared to the white visitors. You really get a sense of Pocahontas as a Princess, but also as a girl with an adventurous spirit willing to do what she ...more
Heather
This was a nice, gentle introduction to Pocahontas. The illustrations were good, but I would have liked to see more clothing on her (even if it's not historically accurate). The story briefly touches on Jamestown and Captain Smith, but you'd need to read another book in order to fully cover that topic. I wish that it had told why she died instead of just saying "she never returned to her land".

This would be all you need (along with a Jamestown book) for K-2nd or 3rd grade. After that you could
Ebookwormy1
The brief life of Pocahontas from favorite daughter of the Powhattan to British nobility is drawn in pictures and words. John Smith, the Jamestown settlement, her kidnapping, marriage to John Rolfe, birth of her son and trip to London are all included.

This is a rather rosy telling. Sensitive children are spared knowledge of her death at the age of 22 (this was confusing and unsettling for our students that knew "the rest of the story"), the death of her son, and her complicate relationship with
Dolly
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating account of Pocahontas's life. It's a short story, but includes enough details to be a fairly comprehensive overview of her background, family, and adventures. There aren't many illustrations in the book that we borrowed from the library, so we may borrow the book with the colorful illustrations. We borrowed this as part of a kit with an audiocassette narrated by Frances Sternhagen and paperback book. We enjoyed listening to the story as we followed along with the book.
Judy
Thirty or so years ago, this would have rated 4 stars. Now that I am more sensitive to depictions of Native Americans, I did squirm in several places. That's why I read the books before I give them to the kids. I still like the art, and there's a lot of decent history here. When reading this with kids, I'll modify some of the sentences, and we'll "wonder" about some of the things we read, which should lead us to other more recent sources.
Christine Levinge
This book would be useful to incorporate during a unit on Jamestown, as it not only provides information about Pocahontas and her influential role in the colony's success, but it also contains information about the other key players in the colonization of Jamestown, such as John Rolfe and John Smith.
M Strawberry Reviews
While I didn't find this as good as the Greek or Norse myth books that this couple did, this is still a fun book to have nonetheless. I remember reading this from the library when I was a child. This book is dated to be sure, but it's still a nice sample of D'Aulaire art.
Jordan Carlson
Another excellent book from the d'Aulaires!

Spiritual life of the Native Americans and the "magic" was one thing we needed to discuss further after reading this...but the kids & I enjoyed this very different sort of princess tale!
Amber
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: school, sy10-11
We really enjoy the D'Aulaire books. They are beautifully illustrated and are full of information. A good biography of a very interesting character.
Elijah Libert
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot but it is not a 5 star book. Because it is just kind of dull. Because it is just about like one idea, it does not switch around.
Contemplative
We are fans of D'Aulaire books and this classic story of Pocahontas. A great introduction for early elementary kids. Read this with your children before exposing them to the Disney version.
Karen
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Read this book a couple of times years ago. Part of our beautiful feet pkg. We love all the d'Aulaire books!..krb 12/30/16
Awjtf
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I liked the illustrations in this book. Great story!
Cherylg
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D'Aulaire books have always been my favorites for biographies. The illustrations along with the written for children history is fantastic.
Mochapelt
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my son and I loved it!!!
Bender
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ipsam eos eveniet voluptatum corrupti recusandae sed. Et architecto deserunt id et nulla. Cumque eligendi molestias.
Lisa
The art is beautiful.
I am not familiar with the story of Pocahontas, but this was well written and interesting and kept the interest of my children (7 & 5.5).
Amy