Start by marking “Died in the Wool (A Knitting Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Died in the Wool (A Knitting Mystery, #1)

Died in the Wool (Knitting Mysteries #1)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  772 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Ariadne Evans is the proud owner of her very own knitting shop. And she's just got herself in a stitch.

When Ariadne enters her knitting store one day to find longtime customer Edith Perry strangled to death with homespun yarn, she fears her life is about to come undone — again, since she's still getting over a divorce. Her worries increase when she's questioned by detectiv
Published September 22nd 2005 by Pocket Books (first published August 2nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Died in the Wool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Died in the Wool

Lain
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let's leave aside the total impracticality of someone making enough cash off pirated knitting patterns to make it worth killing for... and we'll leave aside the use of "Omigosh" about a dozen times in the first chapter... and we'll forget about the use of everyone's name each time they're spoken to (how often do YOU use your friend's name while in conversation with them?)...

The book is still not so great. The plot was transparent, the characters were wonky and wooden, and the whole thing was poo
OssifrageRage
Jun 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in about 2 hours total, and it was a struggle.

Most of the book is about copyright wank and how the internet is the equivalent of exploring an uncharted planet. Scary! Even though it was written in 2005.
Character development was awkward, a lot of telling us instead of showing us through writing and actions. Relationships between characters were weakly developed, again through telling not action.

The oh-so-obvious love interest begins prematurely on page 6, but gets no where.
The pr
Courtney
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this is your pretty basic murder mystery, not much new there. The knitting theme was a bit cheezy - but I wasnt expecting much. I read it in two days, so not much of a time committment.

I had two major issues:

1. The author implies that the only free knitting patterns available online are either incredibily basic (i.e. garter stich scarf) or are pirated from professional designers and given away for free. I don't argue that some people do steal patterns and then give them away or sell them for
quinnster
A fun whodunit with yarn!
Angela
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ariadne, aka Ari, owns a yarn shop. She is a designer, shop owner, newly single Mom, and a knitter. She never would have dreamed in a million years she would ever add sleuth to that list OR person who has seen a dead body in her own shop. Ari does have to add those things to her description of herself though after she finds Edith Perry dead in her yarn shop. Ari is the first suspect and primary one, but Josh, the detective, isn't so sure she has it in her. He just hopes that's his professional o ...more
Chaitra
Ariadne is almost thirty. The revelation comes more than halfway in the book and that shocked me. She sounded like she was in her fifties. For a supposedly smart person, I hated her attitude to the internet and the computer and a new (really, it's old now) way of doing a business. That's an old person's attitude, probably written with an old person in mind. It's not the first time I've come across this in a cozy, and probably not the last time, but really? That's not all - the whole murder myste ...more
rabbitprincess
Nov 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Julia, but not because she liked it
Shelves: bibliotheque, 2007
Not the best knitting mystery out there, to say the least. The dialogue in particular was rather painful, very unrealistic and laden with bad puns (and I normally really enjoy horrendous puns -- these ones are just BAD bad and not funny bad). Also the plot was a typical eye-roll-inducing cozy plot, with an unexpected detective taking on an investigation instead of leaving it to the police, and all the characters being absurdly willing to help (and if she's so busy running a yarn store, where doe ...more
Katharyn
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A struggling single mother and owner of an independent yarn store, Ariadne Evans faces undreamed of obstacles when she comes across the body of a customer amongst her yarn. Both suspect and potential victim, Ari dances on tip toe through her small town doing her own detective work, while teaching the dreamy Detective Josh Pierce about the fiber arts and the crafters who dabble in them.

Kruger does a lovely job explain knitters, spinner and the connection crafters have with their creations without
Jordan McCollum
May 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I've been knitting from free patterns online for over a decade, and the entire structure of the plot was based on the premise that all knitting patterns online are pirated or too basic to worry about copyright. You don't "lose" copyright by publishing something online, and there are dozens of legit ways to actually publish something free online, most of which existed when this book was written.

I was SHOCKED 2/3s of the way through the book to discover the main character was supposedly not yet th
Eliza
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I inadvertently acquired this book when trying to pawn off some really bad books on my knitting group. This will be returning to the swap pool. It was not good. At least it wasn't offensive in any way...
Jeanette
I so enjoyed reading this book. I liked the characters and story. It was a fast paced story. I will read more of this series.
UniqueBookJunkie
The book was just ok to me.. Half way in I debated putting it down but a promise of romance was starting to happen.. *tiny spoiler* it was not worth it.. I was a little disappointed.. I finished the book with just a sense of making it to the end.. Would I continue the series? Probably not.. Would I recommend? Not likely.. ~ Happy Reading ~
Drebbles
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The last thing knitting store owner Ariadne Evans expects to find when she opens her store one morning is a dead body - strangled to death with yarn from her shop. The police have plenty of suspects and Ari thinks they'll solve the case soon but she is none too happy when suspicion quickly falls on close friends of hers. Ari knows they are innocent but she needs to convince Detective Joshua Pierce that he needs to look elsewhere for the murderer. Soon Ari is heavily involved in investigating the ...more
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Knitters
The First in the Knitting Mystery book series.

Ariadne "Ari" Evans is the 29-year-old owner of Ariadne's Web, a knitting shop in Freeport, Mass. The body of one of her customers (Edith Perry) is found strangled with some of her best homespun yarn in her shop one day, and the mystery begins.

I feel like I shouldn't like this book as much as I did. I really liked reading about the behind the scenes aspect of running a Yarn shop (Something I like about the Monica Ferris books as well). I really had
Julia
Dec 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's never a good sign when a character in a cosy mystery declares, on finding a body, that "this could be a good cozy mystery". Maybe I should have heeded the warning. I debated several times whether to abandon this murder mystery set in and around a small-town Massachusetts yarn shop. I didn't warm to the exasperating main protagonist, yarn shop owner Ariadne Evans. I found many of the other characters - the interfering aunt and mother, the pugnacious ex-husband, the nosy neighbour, the malici ...more
Weaverannie
Hoeveel toeval kan een mens hebben? Terwijl ik 'Breibabes'van Debbie Macomber las op de ene e-reader, begon ik hieraan op de kindle. Het was moeilijk beide verhalen uit elkaar te houden.
Opnieuw een vrouw, die een wolwinkel heeft geopend.
In het plaatsje waar haar winkel staat, weet iedereen alles van iedereen. Als in de winkel een moord wordt gepleegd, is iedereen gelijk op de hoogte. Iedereen is verdacht.
Ook de spinster van het garen, dat bij de moord werd gebruikt, en die een vriendin is van d
Tracy
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fluff
Really liked this book, even though I figured out whodunit fairly early on. Very light read, hard to put down.

There was "inside dirt" on running a specialty yarn store and some detail on creating yarn from the sheep up. There was also some semi-heavy-handed "commentary" on pattern copyright and internet usage. The "free patterns" included in the back weren't anything to write home about, but there were interesting knitting-related passages throughout the book.

I could have completely done withou
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I don't usually expect too much from the theme mysteries such as this knitting mystery, the various cooking mysteries, etc. Having just read most of Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries, however, I found myself disappointed with the quality of this, the first I've read by Mary Kruger - also her first knitting novel. The writing made me think that perhaps I could be a novelist, after all. The plot elements were fairly predictable, and I did guess the villain without having to try very hard. M ...more
Linda Famous
This was an okay murder mystery. Throughout the book I was wondering how you pronounce the lead character's name - Ariadne. And, while the name fits her knitting shop, they gave no indication why she was given that name when she was born.

There were a few plot inconsistencies that were slightly annoying - like the author hadn't gone back and re-read the book and edited for content before publishing.

And, no spoilers, but when they reveal the killer I felt like they didn't go back and tie up all th
Lisa
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the fictional town of Freeport MA, this is the quintessential knitting cozy mystery. It features a knitting shop, a single shop owner with potential love interests and a large group of female friends. It also features unexpected events. There was not as much about the actual knitting as there has been in other similar books and I was disappointed in that. Still it was an enjoyable read.
Knitology
At the start of Kruger's pun-filled cozy, the first in a new series, Ariadne "Ari" Evans, the 29-year-old owner of Ariadne's Web (a knitting shop in Freeport, Mass.), is shocked to discover the body of a customer, Edith Perry, strangled with some of her best homespun yarn. How did the murderer enter the shop after hours? Who had keys? What was the motive? Determined to get the answers to these questions, Ari persuades detective Joshua Hayes to let her help in the investigation.
Richard Duncan
If life gets stressful and you just need a break, and want some fluff to read, this one is a lot of fun. Who knew that there was a whole genre out there of "cozies," fluffy, fomulaic mysteries on subjects like knitting, gardening, and quilting? I think next Christmas season (a hectic time for me) I'll find one built around gardening.
Donna
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
You don't need to be a knitter to enjoy this book (although, being a knitter, I really enjoyed it!). I couldn't wait until the end to find out who-done-it. It is a murder that occurs in a knitting shop in Freeport, RI. The owner must help find the killer before she, herself, becomes a victim! I had no idea who the killer was until the very end....
Liz Elfring
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very glad that this is going to be a series! Characters are strong and the town could be anywhere USA. Love stories that also include crafts, I'm going to share this one with a knitting club.
The story was well paced and kept you guessing, and I wanted to get the Heroine involved with computers. A fun read and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Marie
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When Edith Perry is strangled to death in a yarn shop, the shop's owner joins with the detective assigned to the case in an effort to find the killer. I doubt anyone who doesn't knit will be willing to stick with this romance novel/mystery, but a growing number of readers appear addicted to novels involving knitting. They have a growing number of books to choose from.
Christa (haines) Sheridan
It's tough to say if I liked this one or not. I didn't find the characters were developed enough for me to really like them. The solution did become obvious before I think it should have.

I'll likely read the next one because I want to see if the author is able to bring the characters more to life.
Carmen
Adriane owns her own knitting shop. One day as she opens the shop she finds a dead woman. As the police officer is new to the small town, she decides to help him find out who it was who murdered Ethel. The clues do not lead them in a direct fashion to the murderer. The author has really captured what a small town is like.
Reetta Saine
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dekkarit
Disappointment :(. How can you write a knitting mystery where the protagonist doesn't knit? Like ever. Not even once. Constant repetition and pretty far-fetched plot didn't help. And the "Patterns"! "CO 10 and knit every round and you'll have a scarf". Wow. Luckily there were sheep and wool. Two stars to them.

Ramona
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for knitting mysteries and I am glad I picked this one up. It was a fast read and it kept me guessing as to who the killer was for most of the book. That alone makes it worth 3 stars. ;)
Libbeth
A quick read, somewhat spoilt for me by a reviewer who gave away the motive for the murder without ticking the spoiler box. I will never know whether I would have guessed for myself or come up with other motives, which is half the fun.
Ravelry Knitters: September Book: Died in the Wool 12 85 Oct 08, 2011 12:00AM
  • While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • A Deadly Yarn (A Knitting Mystery, #3)
  • Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)

Knitting Mysteries (2 books)
  • Knit Fast, Die Young (Knitting Mysteries, #2)