Start by marking “Almost Like Being in Love” as Want to Read:
Almost Like Being in Love

Almost Like Being in Love (Lost Hearts #2)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,632 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
As the middle child, Pepper Prescott’s rebellious nature helped her survive when her parents disappeared and she and her siblings were sent to different foster homes around the country. Now an independent young woman, Pepper finds herself on the run after witnessing a shooting. Fearing for her life, Pepper flees to the only place she ever considered home and is shocked to ...more
Audio CD
Published January 29th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Like Being in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Like Being in Love

Shelly
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Tina
I am seriously disappointed!! I don't even know what to say... The story wasn't the problem it had great potential (that earned 1 star). But there was no connection with the characters for me. The writing felt disjointed. The heroine drove me crazy, I never new what she really wanted she was all over the damn place! The ending was absolute crap, had I been invested in the relationship between Pepper and Dan it would have really pissed me off!

The only redeeming qualities here where that I got to
Eve
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: immature-heroine
Almost Like Being in Love (Lost Hearts #2)
by Christina Dodd

Romantic Suspense / Contemporary Romance

description
Witness to a murder, Pepper Prescott (25) flees a killer, leaving her home, her business, and the false identity she’s spent years cultivating. She runs to the only place she’s ever felt safe—the small mountain town of Diamond, Idaho, where she met the boy who had captured her heart, and taught her body to love…until she turned her back on him in anguish and shame, leaving him without a backward gl
Ana T.
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is the second book in a trilogy about 3 sisters and a brother whose family was split up when they were just children and teens. Their parents died in a car crash and were accused of having stolen money.

I read the first one in this trilogy last year and although it had some flaws I enjoyed it enough to pick the other 2 books.

Pepper is the middle sister and at the age of 8 she was put in foster care and away from her siblings. She has survived by using false identities and finding jobs as a l
Joy
I liked this better than the first, whatever the first book had, this book contained twice as much. The suspense never let up once Pepper ran for safety in a little town in Idaho, where she fatefully met her old flame Dan Graham. Pepper is the opposite of her sister in attitude and physical looks, she's definitely stronger and she matched perfectly with Dan. There is little humor in this book but I still enjoyed their arguments. The drama and their life-defining moments brought tears, and their ...more
penelopewanders
Taking a break from rings and books for work.

This was a fairly enjoyable read, but it did not grab me the same way the first one did. This may partly be due to the fact that I didn't have much time so read it in bits and pieces rather than in one fell swoop. Although Pepper was a promising character, once she got to the ranch things felt rather stagnant and claustrophobic... endless sequences of "I want him but it's a terrible idea" start to feel repetitive after a while. The flashes to the fami
Molly
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! Awful characters, treating each other like crap.

Pepper is the most unpleasant person once this story gets going. She doesn't have a chip on her shoulder, she has a whole freak'n boulder! And she seems to go out of her way to misunderstand people and assign ill intent to anything anyone says.

Dan is big pushy a..hole! No means no...unless you are really sure she wants then just keep on going until she gives in. This is the last kind of intimate scenes I want to read.

The premise was interestin
Juliana Philippa
I'm not generally a contemporary romance fan, but Christina Dodd is one of my favorite historical romance authors so I've given a few of her modern books a try. Almost Like Being in Love is the second in her "Lost Texas Heart Trilogy" and though it wasn't as enjoyable as the first - Just the Way You Are - it was a decent read ... my time period of choice, however, remains the 18th-19th centuries.
Jacqueline
The continuing story of the lost Prescott sisters. This one had more of a romantic suspense storyline. I like reuniting high school sweethearts stories and this one was sweet. They neither one had really gotten over the other one. The suspense part was nice and pretty well plotted. The emotional reconnection of the hero and heroine was solid and believable. I liked this just as well on my second reading as I did when I read it when it first came out.
Kathy
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Susan
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, but I didn't like it as much as the first book in the series. The combination of flashbacks (though sometimes necessary) and repetitive character flaws made it less appealing for me. Still a decent read, and I'll read #3, but I liked #1 better.
Lisa
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read this years ago, and I still love Pepper being a badass.
Robinn Yu
Pepper was really annoying. The guy was too good for her. She never admitted her faults and talked to the guy.
Shelli Findley
It was ok. I had a hard time getting in to the characters of this book.
Desi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dodd has a great and very detailed way of describing scenery and settings. Brings them to life quite well. Certainly at times I am impatient, and may skip over a bit of the landscape portrayal here and there but it really is well done. I enjoyed Pepper; poor thing, if it's not one thing going wrong in her life, it's another. Dan wasn't bad either. Although the physical description of him came so late in the book I kept picturing him as a tough dark haired soldier type so it was jarring to realiz ...more
Jessica Alcazar
As I've already stated in my review for Just the Way You Are ... I read this entire series before I passed judgment on the author and Christina Dodd is not an author I will ever seek out again.
The story of siblings coming back together later in their life after being split up into foster care is what attracted me to this series and therefor author. My first and last for Ms Dodd.
In this story, Pepper witness a murder and runs to hide in her last foster home with the only woman she ever felt loved
Alysia
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I love getting free stuff and thanks to the Passion and Prose Conference for the amazing gift back of stuff. This was one of the many items in the bag.
I have never read a Christina Dodd book and had no expectations at all going in.
The story of a grown woman constantly on the run from nothing in particular and nothing "life threatening" not until she witnesses a murder seems a little off to me. Pepper Prescott is always moving changing her name and her looks to hide from her past. But we never r
Ceej
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really would have given this a 3.5 if I could have. The story was much better than the first book. The relationship between Dan and Pepper was more "human". Although, her running away because he cared enough to look for her family, is kind of hard to stick with. Also the way General Napier kills her aide in a public parking garage is a bit over the top. A top general who's involved in espionage would take a bit more care than that and she definitely would be caught trying to capture the person ...more
Donna
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pepper Prescott was orphaned at 8 years old.She and Her siblings were sent to homes across the country. She grew up wild and rebellious. Then, partially due to the autobiography of an Army LTC, she settled down and developed a successful landscape business. Pepper really want an autographed copy of the author's book, but she got to the bookstore to late for the signing so she waits in the parking garage to try to catch the author before she leaves only to witness the author shoot her aide when t ...more
Maria
For my first Christina Dodd I was suitably impressed and will definitely read more. I picked up this author from goodreads friend Gina who is reading a lot of her historicals. That's probably where I should have started but Ms. Dodd has so many books on the bookstore shelves that I was intimidated and just grabbed one and ran. It turned out to be a contemporary in the middle of a series but is well written and kept my interest throughout. However, I skip sex scenes that don't add to the story so ...more
Susan Ferguson
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the Lost Texas Hearts series. This is the story of the middle daughter, Pepper. Her older sister has promised to keep them together, but the congregation manages to separate the children. Gabriel, their foster brother has found the first sister and they are searching for Pepper. They requested information from the courthouse, but it has burnt down and the records have been destroyed. Meanwhile, Pepper is rebellious and angry at being abandoned and has been told often enough that no ...more
Shea
I enjoyed the second installment of this series more than the first. I really enjoyed Dodd's descriptions of the mountain landscape in Idaho and life on a ranch. This book had more excitement than the first. Not only is there a compelling love story but also terrorism and international intrigue as well. I found the sparring between Dan and Pepper entertaining and I wasn't sure if I wanted them to fall in love or beat eachother up. I would read the first book in the series first, but this one is ...more
Shelli
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
While I enjoyed the continuing storyline about the family separated as children and placed into foster care, I found a hard time believing Pepper's current predicament. I did, however, believe everything she said about rejecting love, just not the predicament with General Napier. Despite that, I couldn't put the book down. I kept waiting for the moment Pepper would be reunited with Hope, and that certainly did not disappoint.
Kasey
This was another enjoyable read from the Lost Texas Hearts series. It didn't grab my attention as quickly as the last one did, but I was happy to see there were no comical rescue attempts this time around. I enjoyed our leading characters although they were to stubborn for their own good at times. It was great to see Hope and Zach again and look forward to them finding the rest of their family.
Ry
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, romance
Pepper Prescott ran away from her foster home when she was a teenager so Dan Graham wouldn't break her heart. Nine years later, she's back in the county and who does she run into? Dan Graham. But this isn't the Dan she remembers. This man is hardened by war and violence that most people can't imagine. Something is not quite right about the stories either tells the other, but what will happen when what they run from catches up?
Sharyn Grimm
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, action packed, family love story. Unfortunately this is the second novel of the trilogy of the Prescott sisters so I know the outcome of book one but not the details. I will procure the first (Close to You) and third (Just the Way You Are) books as I enjoyed the story line. The main character is somewhat insecure and rebellious but typical of a middle child who was very young when separated from her siblings.
Finally finished. I love most of Christina Dodd's writing. Her books are usually fun, easy to get into stories with great characters and this one was no different in that way. But it kind of fell apart for me toward the last half. I think a combination of Pepper, not disclosing her secrets to Dan sooner and their teenage connection was so brief and long ago, I had hard time picturing him holding a torch for so long.
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in 2006 while on a road trip just before the start of my matric year. Only remembered I'd read it when my mum picked it up at the libary a few weeks ago and brought it home, not realisimg that she'd already read it. Seeing as how I was on a road trip when I read it, and I don't read too well in moving cars, I guess it's obvious why I'd want to forget it. But I have to admit that the story wasn't really bad and the tension between the characters made for engaging reading.
Stanjay Daniels
First time reading a book by this author, Christina Dodd, and I am really disappointed. The concept of the storyline sounded real interesting and when the main character witnesses a murder and tries to escape the scene after the killer spots her, I was real expecting for that plot to really gain momentum. It didn't. It fizzled. The characters were boring too. 2 stars. 1 star for the author's attempt and 1 star for the beginning that started out somewhat exciting before it completely bombed.
Emily
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those of you who detest reading series books out of order...don't worry about doing it with this one. I didn't read the first book (pooh on the library) and started with this one. It works as a stand alone book, but has the characters in the first book (not too much) so fans of the first can be happy with another appearance. Great book.
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous: Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • One Night With a Rogue
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • Heart of Honor (Heart Trilogy, #1)
  • Then Comes Marriage (Hot Water, California, #2)
  • And Able (Mercenary Trilogy, #3)
  • Expecting Royal Twins!
  • Lois Lane Tells All (Glory NC, #2)
  • Run Among Thorns
  • Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5)
  • For Gom's Sake (Scarcity Sanctuary,  #3)
  • Soul Hunt (Evie Scelan, #3)
  • Hard to Get (Games, #3)
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
  • Sighs Matter
  • Annie's Hero
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
New and now!
— THE WOMAN WHO COULDN'T SCREAM: Virtue Falls Full-length Suspense #4 in hardcover, ebook and audio. RT Book Reviews Top Pick “The payoff Kateri fans have been waiting for!” Amazon Best of September, starred Library Journal review.
— THE WATCHER: A Virtue Falls Short Story, now available for purchase or free to my mailing list https://www.goodre
More about Christina Dodd...

Lost Hearts (4 books)
  • Just the Way You Are (Lost Hearts, #1)
  • Close to You (Lost Hearts, #3)
  • Gabriel's Gift (Lost Hearts, #3.5)