Start by marking “Anh's Anger” as Want to Read:
Anh's Anger

Anh's Anger

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Children experience anger on a regular basis, but lack the coping skills to guide them through these difficult moments. In Anh's Anger, five-year-old Anh becomes enraged when his grandfather interrupts playtime with a summons to the dinner table. When Anh’s grandfather takes the time to help Anh fully experience his anger by suggesting he go to his room and "sit with his a ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Plum Blossom Books

To ask other readers questions about Anh's Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anh's Anger

Sam Grace
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mom, Abigail, ppl into mindfulness, multimedia collage, dealing with anger
Recommended to Sam by: my public library had it on display
As message books go, this definitely tops the list. This was published from a branch of the company that does Thich Nhat Hanh's books and this book was a "tremendous inspiration" for this story.

In it, Anh gets angry about having to stop playing and his grandfather tells him to go and sit with his anger for a while. At first he doesn't know how, but when his anger shows up - and his anger is SO COOL LOOKING!!!! (like you don't want to stop looking at it, which is kind of how anger FEELS too) - t
Shanshad Whelan
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
When you get past Toddler picture books for dealing with anger, there aren't too many picture books that offer children methods of dealing with their anger--and none quite like this one. The Buddhist message and the inner focus on working through anger is nicely showcased by this picture book. I found at times the text gets a little bit more explanatory than I care for in a picture book milieu, but the art and story itself are so unusual and intriguing that I can't offer this less than four star ...more
Cary
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one treasure of a book. I teach child development and early literacy, but even more importantly I read to my grandchildren and other children whenever I can. This book has totally captured everyone, children and adults, that I have had a chance to share it with. The children have have asked for this book over and over again. They use it to tell the story of Anh and his anger, they use it to discuss their own anger and what to do with it, they become totally engrossed in the book, ...more
Julie Schoerke
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has beautiful illustrations and an even more beautiful and thoughtful message. I recommend this for parents who want their children to understand their emotions and react appropriately.

Earl
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great find of dealing with anger in a very creative way. A young boy gets frustrated and angry when his grandfather tells him to stop playing to eat his dinner. After lashing out and getting sent to his room, he meets his anger personified. This has a unique message of letting anger run its course by acknowledging it and discovering its source. Collage illustrations make it a visual treat as well.
Drew Jameson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is just a beautiful book about emotions. Anger is presented as a natural and necessary part of life, not as a negative to be denied. Reading it lately has really been helping Alice and I talk about frustration.
L
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a creative take on anger: Anger as a playmate. Don't be afraid of your anger; interact with it, deal with it, and understand it. Where were these great books when I was a kid? My girls liked this story and at the end we practiced one of the activities Anh and his anger did together: banging on the floor. Well, we banged on the book so that it sounded like a drum but the effect was the same. And we did it for a full minute and were soothed. That sounds like a Bible verse.

Anyway, I liked the
Tara
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Terrific way to help kids understand and express their emotions--specifically, anger and frustration. I read this to my son before he turned two years old and could tell that he was intrigued by the figure of "anger." He would be at-once shy and curious, wanting to look at the pictures then closing the book. Given his stage of development, we'd been experiencing more frequent and intense toddler mood swings and had already put into practice strategies from Dr. Harvey Karp's book "The Happiest To ...more
Joanie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think this book has a strong message regarding anger and learning to cope with such feelings to avoid a temper tantrum. I found this book at my local library and I thought it was interesting and I checked it out with the intention to use for a main idea lesson. Unfortunately my school district did not allow this book to be read in class and I believe it's due to the concept of Anh's inner monster character/vision. With that in mind, perhaps this book should be read at home where parents can de ...more
Miri
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A patron came in today looking for books that show kids dealing with anger, but this one was slightly too long for her purposes, so I ended up reading it at the desk. I'm thinking I'll look into similar books this week. Adults don't handle kids' emotions well, I've noticed; we always want to shut them down rather than help them work through them. I think parents can probably get as much help from these books as kids can.
Missy
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-guy-books
I liked that this book gives an option for what to do with angry feelings. I have always told my kids it's okay to get mad. It's okay to have emotions. I don't want them to stuff their feelings and put on a happy face all the time. I tell them it's not okay to hit when we feel mad. But what is okay? Anh's grandfather and Anh's anger, depicted as a little red monster, give us an alternative. The illustrations are a delight.
Marelu
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I used this book for the Sunday Camp I do at church each August. This year we focused on "mindfulness". The children loved the book and were completely engaged with the words and pictures. It inspired a lively discussion about what makes them angry and all the different ways they've handled it in the past. They are going to try breathing the next time they felt angry.
Bernadette
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. I'm usually not one for the collage style illustrations, but I think it really added depth to the pages. This is a book that will be a great helper for children just learning their emotions, or struggling with keeping them under control. Perfect for any age, even adults!! A nice reminder.
Alice
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting approach to dealing with anger. Without being heavy handed with it, it talks about ways to deal with anger.

I like the way the Illustrator made the angry monster. I don't love the artwork by Christiane Kromer but I totally appreciate it! I like the cut out and ripping techniques!
Lynn Grundset
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked how Ms. Silver took the complex concept of anger and made it understandable with words and images. I will share this book with my granddaughter who is too young to understand now, but I'm glad to have a beautiful way of helping her understand what anger is and providing a way to manage it.
Jennifer Lombardo
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one took a few times to grow on me. It does, however, resonate with some of the children I work with in therapy. The graphics are really interesting and sets this book apart from other children's books.
Tanya W
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: well-illustrated
Great children's book, we all loved it and it helps us understand anger and how to deal with it. We read this 4 times before giving it back to the library.

I forgot to mention we LOVED the illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A gentle, thoughtful story about a young boy learning to control his anger using mindfulness and the Buddhist meditative practice of Thich Nhat Hanh. A great book for parents or counselors to use with young children.
Isela
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angry-emotions
This one of my favorite books. I like how the author made anger seems to be like a monster. In addition, Anh learn to practice self control after he got so angry. I shared this with my students and they enjoyed listening to the story and watching the illustration of anger.
Kate Hastings
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-K, anger
When Anh loses his temper because he isn't done playing, grandpa makes him go to his room to "sit with his anger." It turns out Anger is a little monster-- but after he spends some time breathing,relaxing and dancing with it, Anger fades away.
Jodi - JodiArts Beatty
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good it actually brought me to tears on the last page. Such a short book. So powerful.

I will be reading it to my children today. I hope it does the magic to help one with issues he has.
Principle Based Learning
A story about a boy who discovers what it means to sit with your anger. Teaches ways to help calm down.
~Ashley B

Gphatty
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Great art; strong Buddhist message. It read like a boy's version of When Sophie Gets Angry . . . but with a personified anger.
Parag
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Strongly recommended.
Marion
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
Excellent, age-appropriate book about learning to sit with and transform anger, with beautiful pictures. I'm a big fan!
Melissa Mcavoy
5 stars for including some of the positives one feels when angry. The book is still didactic but way less annoying than most bibliotherapy
Genet
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bennett and I really enjoyed reading this book together. A great way to talk about handling angry feelings with an engaging story and fun art work.
Teri
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feelings
SO GOOD! What a nice way to talk about what you can do when you're angry! Fabulous children's book!
Terry
To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting
recommended by Rachel Cranney
  • Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • I'm Big!
  • Soup Day
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • Monsoon
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • What Does It Mean To Be Present?
  • Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care