Start by marking “Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior) (Ages 4-7)” as Want to Read:
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior) (Ages 4-7)

Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior) (Best Behavior)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In this gentle, encouraging book, simple words and warm, inviting full-color illustrations teach children that violence is never okay and they can learn to manage their anger. There's also a special section for adults, with ideas for things to talk about and activities to do together. Recommended for day-care, preschool, kindergarten, and early elementary school classrooms ...more
Published March 15th 2009 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior)

K
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I like that it focuses on different things the kid can do other than hit, different feelings that might make a kid want to hit, and what to do if someone hits you. However, I do think that all the other things hands are for doing is a bit distracting.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Hands are not for hitting is a story about activities that children and teachers can do instead of hitting.It teaches children how to correctly use their hands instead of hitting. This book is very good for teaching toddlers.
Alice
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a simple book for kids, on their level about using their hands for good things and not for hitting. It gives idea and tips on how to deal with angry and what to do instead of hitting!
Chelsea
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ecce-2203
1. Hands Are Not for Hitting
2. The book teaches about not hitting.
3. A learning experience I can use with this book for is teaching children good ways they can use their hands. I can do an activity of having the children trace and cut out their hands with construction paper. I can then ask them, "what are good ways we can use our hands?" and write it on their traced hands. I can then display all of their hands in the classroom where the children can see them.
Suzanna Hollinsaid
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
This book talks about things you can and should do with your hands and things that you should not do with your hands. Some suggestions of things to use your hands for are clapping, encouraging, and painting. I would use this book early in the semester to help set rules and talk about the classroom environment.
Jessica
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to read to the kids as a reminder to keep hands where they belong and be nice to others.
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about "Hands Are Not for Hitting" and it is a story about another ways that children and adults can do with their hands instead of hitting. It teaches correct use of hands in an encouraging way through the use of simple language and descriptive illustrations that makes learning fun. The story helps children understand why they may feel like hitting and offers many ways one can deal with feelings by replacing the use of hitting with another skills. The book is very easy to ...more
Dawn Fielder
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a new addition to our pk parent library.
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 is currently reading it
Promoting healthy social development by discussing appropriate and healthy behavior not only helps a child of 4-5 years old understand about behavior control, but also serves as a way of promoting expressive language and the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills. Suitable for 4-5 year olds, Hands Are Not for Hitting is a book that invites the child to utilize the practice of Talking as the story is read by a caregiver. Many Literacy Skills can be developed in a shared reading in this book all ...more
Bailey Jane
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddos
I didn't like this one as much as "Teeth Are Not For Biting." I enjoyed the repetition that the other book used, whereas this one only says "hands are not for hitting" three times. I liked that the other book used the word "Ouch!" multiple times, reinforcing that doing this behavior to another person HURTS! I do appreciate that this book gave many POSITIVE alternatives to hitting, and things to do with your hands if you feel the need to act out. Once again, I was so happy to see parent and careg ...more
Kellee Foster
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hands are not for hitting is a great picture book for n-p readers. The book teaches children what their hands can be used for, besides hitting. The illustrations in the book use bright colors and has picture the all children can recognize. I especially like this book for the younger children, so that they can see other ways to use their hands besides "hitting friends". It is hard for little ones to keep their hands to themselves and I find that this book is a good re-enforcement tool in the clas ...more
Eric Summers
On it's own, this is just another book trying to teach children about the necessity of non-violence. What sets it above the rest of the "after school special" books that many publishers try to shovel out every year is the back of the book that serves as a teaching guide for adults using this book in their home or classroom.

This is a teaching book, not a story book or something that kids will cherish for the rest of their life. It is to be used to teach a theme (non-violence) and it gives you ple
Paige
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very short book that I think would be really good read to children in Kindergarten or younger. It is great because it makes it so the children are able to interact with the reader throughout the book, like waving their hands, so it makes reading it more fun. Also, throughout the whole book, there are children from every race and background which is important as well. Lastly, there is a good lesson teaching children that they should not hit each other and it shows them what hands are re ...more
Rebecca Ashley Teague
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: behavior
This book explains that hitting is never okay. It talks about how hands can do many good things such as waving, hugging, and drawing, but it is never okay to use your hands to hit. I would use this book in my classroom if a student broke the rule of ‘keep your hands to yourself’. I would use this book to reinforce that rule and to also show students that the behavior is not okay under any circumstance.
Christie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our family found this book extremely helpful when our toddler was having issues with hitting. It repeats the key phrase “Hands are not for hitting” many times throughout the book. Repetition is so important for young children. It also gives examples of what hands should be used for like eating, dressing, and waving hello. This book is great tool to help curb aggressive behavior that tends to pop up during the toddler and preschool years.
Kayla Bennett
I was not expecting to like this book, but I loved it. Not only does it teach that hands are not to hurt or hit anyone, it gives us other things to do with them. I love how the illustrations depicted the story too. This would definitely be a book I would buy for my future children or my classroom. I really enjoyed that it did not come out and call children out but pointed out the feelings of it. I feel like the author scored with this book.
Alyssa
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
I think this would be a very good book to share with younger kids preschool through second grade. Reading I kept thinking of my little brother in preschool, I always hear stories of "He was hitting her," and "My teacher gets mad when he hits." Hitting really can be a problem with those young kids. And this also gives kids options of other ways to cope with their frustration. It would be a good reference when problems start arising in the classroom.
Cecoiya Johnson
This is a great picture book to introduce guidelines in the classroom. This book.can be a fun process to help students with being physical throughout the school.year. The pictures will allow a Kindergartener to follow along and be eager to follow rules. Keeping this book in the.classroom library would be a great idea, which allow students to revisit the concept.
Milo
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milo by: Borrowed from the library
I like to see all the things that a person can do with their hands. Papa and I read this book together and talk about what the kids are doing with their hands. However, it has not kept me from using my hands to hit. I went to timeout today for hitting our little dog Rufus. But, I do like to keep busy. It is fun to see how other people like to keep busy with their hands.
Holleah
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
I think this is a great book for teaching children to be kind to each other. No one wants to sit there and listen to a lecture about how something is wrong and why you shouldn't do it. Children will actually pay attention with this book and it will be easier to teach them not to hit and how others feel if you aren't kind. You can even plan a nice activity with this book as well.
Leila T.
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read every night before bed, at least once, this is one of my 2-year-old's favourite books. She mimics the activities of the illustrations, improvising her own, and points out items of interest on each page. The illustrations are clear and simple and bright, and the didactic message of the book is offset by a sense of fun.
Belise Michel
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: helpful-guide
This is good book to read to pre-k students the first day of class when you are creating classroom rules and explaining them. It’s also a great book to read through out the year to remind students’ positive ways to use their hands.
April
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving sweet book that focuses on all the good things we can use our hands for to refocus a child on those. Kaden and I enjoyed it. It wasn't at all preachy but it gave kids ideas of other things to do to channel their frustrations.
Natalie
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and educators of Pre-K, K, 1st grade
Recommended to Natalie by: found it in a search
Simple picture book that discusses the good things we can do with our hands and how diverse we are. It declares the message that hands are not for hitting several times. A good read aloud, to start a discussion on better ways to solve problems than hitting.
Camille
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I didn't think I'd care for this book, because of the art work, but my five and three year old boys love it. My five year old is memorizing it and often telling others when they act aggressively, "Hands are not for hitting."
Victoria Fisher
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read with children to explain to them that hand are for kind things only, it explores many useful thing that we can do with our hands and also things we should do, like hitting.
Emerson and Theodore
Pretty good.
This book utilizes repetition to teach an important lesson. Hands are for waving hands for playing with blocks hands are for this hands are for that. Hands are not for hitting. Hitting is never okay. Hands are not for hitting. Hands never okay.
Sybil
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love reading this book to my daughters. It isn't too "babyish" like some of the other books on this subject and gives the reader many opportunities to discuss the words and pictures in the book.
Chelsea Kimmey
This book would be good for helping understand the importance of keeping your hands to yourself.
Anica
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children
Shelves: children-s-books
This book helps children think of ways to use their hands in good ways and offers suggestions of ways to handle anger.
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Cool Down and Work Through Anger
  • The Way I Feel
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • Just Kidding
  • Frances Dean Who Loved to Dance and Dance
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • Incredible You!: 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through
  • I Love School!
  • No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • Fox Makes Friends
  • First Big Book of Why (National Geographic Little Kids)

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)