Start by marking “Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts” as Want to Read:
Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts

Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts

(Llewellyn's high magick series)

Modern Magick is the most popular, most complete, step-by-step instruction manual on how to do real magick that has ever been published. Already over 100,000 people are using it.

Author Donald Michael Kraig wrote this after teaching the information in classes for ten years. It is refined, tested, and easy to understand. It is filled with exercises, techniques, and rituals t
Paperback, Second Edition, 581 pages
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 1988)

Start your review of Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
Chris
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: initiates
DMK does a decent job of laying out a survey of the basic theory of the "High Magickal Arts". Be careful, though, much of his information is incorrect, and his pronunciations for the Hebrew is abysmal.

However, this is an excellent starter and resource book. It lays out several important rituals in a (relatively) straightforward and easy-to-understand manner.

DMK tends to give you the theory (most of it borrowed, and badly) for each chapter, then tags a useful ritual at the end.

This book rides som
Bad Tim
Mar 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pagan
somebody recommended this book after i specifically said i wasn't interested in something that relied on judeo-christian concepts.

this book is exclusively about working with the kabalah, with small amounts of eastern philosophy that are generally taken out of context and are only cursorily explored, and one patronizing section on earth-based magic.

kraig's writing style is redundant and dogmatic. he attempts to prove everything from reincarnation to the existence of the jewish god using logical
The Elves
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some people have called Donald Michael Kraig’s Modern Magick a classic, but we think that is rather like calling some object that is fifty years old an antique. Time, and readers, will determine if it is really a classic of occult lore or not. It is, however, a good study course in ceremonial magic, particularly if you like to use the Kabbalah in your workings.
While we didn’t agree with everything he said in the book, we found more often than not that we had independently arrived at the same c
Neueziel
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the go to book for anyone with a genuine interest in the real occult. Kraig is very down to earth, dispels a lot of myths and superstitions surrounding the occult and is very factual..given the subject. The book is split up into lessons but it has a wealth of information and experience if you're simply curious. ...more
Frank Dufriend
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone interested in High Magick would do themselves well by picking up this book. D.M. Kraig states throughout the book that one of the main intentions of the book is to enable the reader to pick up any other book on Magick and/or the Occult and be able to make sense of it, and lo, I am now able to do just that. Ever pick up 777 by A. Crowley and think 'what the hell?', well this book will help to lift the veil on that and other such difficult concepts for the uninitiated. I'm really glad I cam ...more
Sheherazahde
Sep 09, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, magic, ritual
A friend bought this for me because he loves it and wants me to read it. I'm reading this with another friend and doing the lessons.

The first day we read the 4 forwards, the 2 prefaces, and the introduction. They were generally good. I disagree with the Ciceros about the definition of religion that they use when they talk about the difference between magick and religion. The relationship between magick and religion is complex and I don't have the time or space to discuss it here.

I was not fami
Helen
Mar 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
Certainly not what I was looking for, even if according to reviews and recommendations it was the best.

Simply not acceptable, with no clear answers to most beginner's questions. I feel silly after getting through it, and started to respect Wicca, Paganism, witchcraft, sorcery, hodoo and shamanism much more.

This book is mostly Kabbala based, some kind of Kabbala based - discarding the other version of it as something lesser. Who is right? Not for me to decide.

Making robes, taking poses one has
Deb
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solid textbook for ceremonial magick with an extensive annotated bibliography for further study. Donald Michael Craig gives not just the words of the rituals, but how to perform them -- what to visualize, gestures, tools, a daily practice.

I'll be rereading and continuing with further studies, but I am very happy with where the book has allowed me to accomplish thus far.
Eishexe
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
The first book on Ceremonial Magick I ever picked up. It's a great practical primer, filled with exercises and practices the practitioner can immediately begin performing. Don't be surprised if it takes you a few years to work through this one the way it's meant to be done. ...more
Eric Williamson
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better books Llewellyn has ever published. A very good introduction to ceremonial magick. Start here and then branch out to Crowley, Mathers, and the rest.
Arcuro Shelton
WHAT THE BOOK OFFERS: In this book, the author outlines practices that the reader should develop into habits. As much a book on self-improvement as anything else, Donald Michael Kraig includes rituals that aid in visualization, building confidence, and developing self-discipline. This is no simple book on Magick, but seems to offer the groundwork for the reader becoming an all-round better person through the use of ritual and the development of their Magickal ability.

Within these twelve lessons
Ton
Sep 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Currently reading Modern Magick after over 20 years of seeing it in bookstores. The cover art just never really called to me. I didn't understand it at the time I was looking for quick magic/spells, that the artwork represented temple work and the visuals within.

So far pretty good. It gets you starting practical exercises right away, which is great using this as a textbook/guide.

I would be mindful of the ritual instructions. They're either quite detailed, or are missing some instruction. I pers
Matias Selzer
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
Ok, I want to be honest. It took me three years to finish this book.

I've started this book as it was recommended to me as a beginner.
When I started reading it, I realized that the book was full of kabbalistic and ceremonial magick things, which is definitely not my thing. Almost half of the book is like this. The first three or four chapters are full of complex ceremonial rituals to memorize, which I didn't understand and all the parts of the ritual were not clearly explained. This is the poin
Mary Magickal
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magick, kabbalah, occult
This book has it all! If you're interested in kabbalistic pathworking and ritual magick, that is. But it covers a lot more with parts on dreams, the tarot, meditation, symbolism, the astral plane and talismans. The interesting thing about this book is the way it's built up. It's divided into 12 lessons with exercises, and after each lesson it gives you a test and a list of books on the subjects you've just read about. It let's you start at the very beginning and it triggers you to read more than ...more
Chloë
Mar 26, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly...I realized fairly quickly that ceremonial magic is not really my thing and ended up skimming most of this. There were some parts that were cringey (talking about sexism against men, way too many references to Crowley for my taste, talking about NLP etc.) but overall it was decent and it was clear a ton of experience, research, and effort went into this book. I think it could be really helpful to someone interested in ceremonial magic!
Larry O'Connor
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book on Medieval Kabbalah and Theurgia. I enjoyed it and found it to be very interesting and enlightening. It's not for everyone due to the fact that you have to really step outside of some of your comfort zones. It has very interesting stories and I learned a lot about what karma, new thought and energy work. ...more
James Robert Clark
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book on High Magick I read at age 11. This book covers the whole shebang from the basic curriculum of the Golden Dawn System & the Kabballah to Talismatic Magick to summoning to visible appearance to elemental Magick to all the Sex Magick you'll ever really need to know & be able to expand on yourself.
Excellent book that's worth reading.
Sadra Hesabi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
If your interests lie within the Golden Dawn order, It's a most read for you. As other said this book relied on judeo-christian concepts , but I recommend it to starters because Practices are well sorted and simplified. ...more
Haley Strickland
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing step by step formula for how to be a successful magi. Implementing the steps in this book changed my life by propelling me into spiritual healing. It helped me understand that I have everything I need to heal myself spiritually.
Justin
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
Well written and far more understandable than most Magick books.
Alashlock
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This thing has a really bad blind in it, not recommended.
Samira
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magick, 2020
I highly recommend it for the true seeker. 👏
Zigfrid Engelstein
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
it is working
Amber Blackwood
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A textbook for High magic. and a must for mastering the craft.
Marco A.
Nov 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was my first ceremonial magick book. Easy to read and understand. It was a pleasure being able to meet Michael before his greater feast and tell him how much I enjoyed the book.
Sophía
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A timeless classic that delivers a full daily magickal routine with subsequent iterations. Other books and study will be required to understand the basis of the rituals and symbology.
Dave/Maggie Bean
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This review will be of interest only to Christians -- especially complacent, lukewarm, "Sunday Morning" Christians.

I'm not here to proselytize, but rather to clean my own house. My hard-shell, *sola scriptura* Protestantism notwithstanding, I must concede that many of my unsaved atheist friends are, in practice, more decent and upstanding than many of my co-religionists. Despite the fact that they don't profess my faith (and thusly can't be expected to practice it), they often observe the Golde
Trunatrschild
It was well made... a torture to read but well done. For a beginner who likes to be told their ethics and have them highly Judeo-Christian, this is the book for you. I read almost all of it, because I wanted to learn but boy was it painful. I learned a lot more about the Kabbalah than I knew before and have a introduction into ceremonial magic now.
I give this book 3 stars because it was really well done, the man can teach, whether I prefer what he is teaching is no matter, he can teach it. But
A course on Kabalistic Ceremonial Magick. I found it badly organized and, therefore, difficult to navigate. Much of the information would be better given as endnotes or in appendixes allowing the student to stay focused on the essentials while studying. The reader could then choose to discover the author's theories and anecdotes if they want to and not be confused or distracted by unnecessary information when so much information is already given. I also found it strange that defense against psyc ...more
Larry Zaracon
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don was a great man and a fantastic author, he appeared on my podcast and we had a great interview . This is a Foundational book . As a little added thing , Don and Scott Cunningham were roommates when Scott got the Greenlight for this book .

• Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
  • The Sorcerer's Secrets: Strategies in Practical Magick
  • The Book of the Law
  • Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals
  • Psychic Witch: A Metaphysical Guide to Meditation, Magick & Manifestation
  • Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • High Magick: A Guide to the Spiritual Practices That Saved My Life on Death Row
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Self-Initiation Into the Golden Dawn Tradition: A Complete Curriculum of Study for Both the Solitary Magician and the Working Magical Group
  • The Mystical Qabalah
See top shelves…

Llewellyn's high magick series (10 books)
  • The Enochian Tarot: A New System of Divination for a New Age (Llewellyn's High Magick)
  • Planetary Magick: The Heart of Western Magick (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • Advanced Guide To Enochian Magick: A Complete Manual of Angelic Magick (Llewellyn's High Magick)
  • Egyptian Magick: Enter the Body of Light & Travel the Magickal Universe (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • The Angels' Message To Humanity: Ascension to Divine Union-Powerful Enochian Magick (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • New Millennium Magick: A Complete System of Self-realization (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • Ancient Magicks for a New Age: Rituals from the Merlin Temple, the Magick of the Dragon Kings (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • The Secret Teachings of the Temple of Isis: A Self-Preparation for the New Age (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)
  • Enochian Magic: A Practical Manual: The Angelic Language Revealed

News & Interviews

“Magick is the science and art of causing change (in consciousness) to occur in conformity with will, using means not currently understood by traditional Western science . . .” In this case “will” is understood not in terms of the individual’s petty wants and desires, but rather as an intention that is in harmony with the fundamental essence of the individual’s Higher Self, and also in full accord with natural or cosmic law.” 1 likes
“Next come the magickally important Hebrew letters Yud-Heh-Vahv-Heh, YHVH for short, the Tetragrammaton. I have already discussed it, but let’s add some more information. The Yud looks like this: . The upper tip of the Yud is associated with the first Sephira. The rest of the Yud, along with the Heh (which looks like this: ), is associated with the second through fourth Sephiroht. The Vahv is an elongated Yud and looks like this: . It is related to the fourth through ninth Sephiroht. Notice the overlap between the Vahv and Heh. The second or last Heh is related to the tenth Sephira. The first Heh is known as the Heh Superior (Sup.) and the second Heh is known as the Heh Inferior (Inf.). Hebrew is read from right to left, and the Tetragrammaton looks like this: Vertically, it looks like this: The creatures in the next column are both real and unreal, while the tools of the following column are magickal tools. The lamen is a medallion hung around the neck to represent a certain power or quality. The names are the various God, archangelic, and angelic names, along with other words of power. The traditional magician of the Middle Ages wore two robes: an outer robe, representing the silence necessary to being a magician, which concealed a hidden, inner robe of truth. Today, most magicians wear only one robe, the two robes being more symbolic than actual. Finally, the last column is self-explanatory with the sole added note that the plant associated with the first Sephira is an almond “aflower.” That is, it should be blooming. This list of Kabalistic correspondences is by no means complete. But it is a good start. I suggest that you make up a series of Trees of Life, each one filled out with one of the columns. You may wish also to make up a very large Tree of Life putting many of the correspondences associated with a Sephira in the drawing of that Sephira. I urge a deep study of the correspondences now. Their importance will become clearer to you as we move into the study of Grey Magick. For a far more complete version” 0 likes