Start by marking “Rework” as Want to Read:
Rework

Rework

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  117,352 ratings  ·  3,387 reviews
Most business books give you the same old advice: Write a business plan, study the competition, seek investors, yadda yadda. If you're looking for a book like that, put this one back on the shelf.

Rework shows you a better, faster, easier way to succeed in business. Read it and you'll know why plans are actually harmful, why you don't need outside investors, and why you're
Published March 9th 2010 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Rework, please sign up.

Peyton Stafford
Good standard small business advice.

Notes:

Prioritize visually.
Make tiny decisions.
Do less. One downing not one updoing.
Don't be a whore to our customers.
build anaudeience

Hold meetings at site of problem, not in meeting room. Invite as few as possible.

Divide problems and projects into pieces small enough to easily estimate time and effort required.

Make short lists to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Prioritize visually, with next task at top of list.

Make attainable goals.

Use tiny decisions to work th
Janet Richards
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, biz-book
This is another book I can't put down. Nothing in this book is earth-shattering or amazing. It's the little things you have suspected to be true - but someone who makes more money than you tells you is not true. It's what you say to your friends over lunch. It's support for being feisty in work and in life. I'm highlighting a sentence in almost every chapter that I want to remember. Again - not because I don't know it - but because I don't want to forget it. And I don't want to fool myself that ...more
Amr
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
The feeling I got when I read the praise of the book in the first few pages was "This book is over-praised". When I finished it, I still have the same feeling.
Maybe it's just me, but I think that if you're gonna challenge the foundations of doing business, you gotta back it up with something more that "That's how we did it, and it worked for us".
The book makes a great case against all the elements of doing business (planning, raising capital, meeting, communication, workplace, organizing, etc.)
Igor Tsinman
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
"Rework" by Jason Fried это книга про то, как начать и продолжить маленький (но эффективный) бизнес.

Я не пользуюсь продуктами 37signal и книги Getting Real мне хватило, чтобы понять их точку зрения, но на GR все как-то активно читают/читали Rework, вот и я решил почитать)))

К этому времени Rework оценили уже 49 френдов (очень высокая средняя оценка 4.52), хотя довольно прохладную рецензию написали только пятеро: Alex Suslin, Игорь Емельянов, Denis Evsyukov, Valia, Alex Ott, Viktor Zakharchenko.

Пр
Arjen
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book. It is full of obvious stuff that I basically agree with but the writing style and argumentation are beyond annoying.

The pattern is as follows: "Lot's of people say you can't do X. But look at us! We did X, so it is possible". For me that reads as: "Lot's of people say you shouldn't base your life's path on winning the lottery. But look at me! I won the lottery, so it is possible".

Spend your 10 euros on drugs or hookers or alcohol and have some fun in life.
Amir Tesla
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
I deeply like such books. A compilation of wisdom that are earned through years of direct experience. The results of numerous try and error and what really works and what doesn't.
Joy
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 21c, american, business
This is one of those books where I agree with the general message but don't necessarily like the delivery. Rework is a very slight read. It feels more like a series of blog posts than anything as formal as a novel. The tone is that of a manifesto, and evidence is basically anecdotal.

The overall argument is that we should redo how we do work (hence, "rework"); Fried et al make an argument for leaner, more flexible organizations, with few of the obvious structures of the average US company (meeti
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review also posted on My Bookshelf is Ready.

Is "Rework" worth it?
Let me work it
I put my thing down
Flip it and reverse it

- Maya Angelou
earthy
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I appreciate anyone who's clever enough to suggest we entirely rethink how we conceive of work/business. Structurally, however, this book suffers from the same issues I've seen in a lot of blog-to-book deals: It reads like the authors basically cobbled together a bunch of blog posts and decided, voila! that makes a book.

That does NOT make a book.

The structure of a book, whether nonfiction or fiction, is DIFFERENT than a blog. The short, vaguely promising stuff you can stick in a blog post works
Louise
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, work
Rework is quick and easy to read, which speaks to the philosophy the book is shilling: get things done -- which coincidentally speaks to me.

Nothing in this book can be learned that can't be learned from the Signal vs. Noise blog from 37signals. That doesn't mean this book is unnecessary. On the contrary, it's handy to have a collection of business tips and anecdotes bound in one neat little volume.

This was my first business book and I think I got off pretty easy. There was a minimum of douchery
Kiet Huynh
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mượn được ở thư viện sứ quán Mĩ.

Ngạc nhiên vì có nhiều vấn đề trong việc làm được tái-định-nghĩa lại một cách cực kỳ đơn giản mà hợp lý, thực dụng hơn. Ví dụ nhé: Workaholics không có nghĩa là bạn quan tâm công việc hay bạn làm được nhiều việc. Workaholics nghĩa là bạn làm nhiều. Hết.

- Tập trung... tập trung...tập trung.
- Hầu như long-term plan đều không thể thực hiện, hãy chọn small task.
- All-nighter không có hay ho, đôi khi nó là cách ngu nhất để giải quyết vấn đề.
- Hãy thực hiện ý tưởng càn
Shalmalee
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very succinct summary of basic principles that should never be forgotten when aiming to succeed in business. Very well written. I am a fan of anecdotes, though and personally found that flavour wanting.
Benjamin
A super quick read that basically throws a bunch of (maybe minor) tips and words of advice to people who are looking to start or have already started their own businesses.

70% is comprised of useful advice that is definitely relevant to everyone, not just entrepreneurs and business owners.

20% are concepts conveniently backed by pieces of "evidence" in 37signals' history that seemingly suggest all businesses can and should be run like 37signals.

10% is what I would consider to be somewhat contradi
John Cooper
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rework is an example of the business-inspirational genre by the founders of 37Signals, a software company. I like 37Signals because they’re straightforward, even pithy, and because founder Jason Fried has some right-on things to say about business culture, such as the stupidity of insisting that all workers come to an office and stay for eight hours, whether they are productive there or not. Rework follows the format of a lot of these books, which alternates extremely short chapters with crude p ...more
Ostap Andrusiv
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Десь місяць тому подивився інтерв'ю Саймона Сайнека про Millenials. Він там згадував, що найкраще будувати продукти там, де ви зачіпаєте справжні почуття людей. І багато говорив про те, що ми всі перетворюємось в допамінових наркоманів (допамін - це речовина, яка дозволяє відчувати задоволення). Лайкнув - получив дозу, тобі лайкнули - получив дозу, відповіли в чатіку - получив дозу.

Чомусь подумалось, що Re:Work - це книжка про те, як шукати допамін у складному процесі побудови бізнесу. Не вигор
iman mirzaei
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
جناب جیسون فرید این کتاب رو بر اساس تجربیات کاری خودش و تیم خودش نوشته که به به نظرم بیشتر به درد شرکت های کوچیک یا تازه تاسیس (یا هر دو) میخوره.
:موضوع این کتاب یک سری توصیه هست برای نمونه دوتاش رو مثال میزنم

1) کسب و کارتون رو سبک و قابل انعطاف نگه دارین تا مثلا بتونین در زمان کوتاهی تغییرات رو در کسب و کارتون ایجاد کنین(مثلا زیاد قاعده و قانون وضع نکنین و از امکانات اولیه و ساده استفاده کنین و فقط چیز هایی رو بخرین و استفاده کنین که واقعععععا لازمه و ...)

2) فقط در ضرورت کسی رو استخدام کنین مثل
Donna
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I generally like books like this, but often times it is hit or miss. I don't own my own business and I'm not sure I'd want to, but this one worked for me. I enjoyed the narrator of the audio.

I don't think there is just one road to success. This book points that out, but then on the other hand, they were leading the charge down their chosen road. It felt like opposing views, but I liked that they pointed that out. Some of this sounded like common sense, and some of it was cautionary. So 4 stars.
Book Calendar
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Algirdas Raščius
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great collection of ideas that will help you to succeed in business. Although presented ideas are based on common sense, some of them strongly disagree with current usual business practices. Still problem is with current business practices and not with presented ideas.

Reading "Rework" can be great motivator for starting work smarter (rather than harder), seeking long-term sustainable business (rather than achieving better financial results for the current quarter) and really servi
Ahmed
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read it in a two-hour flight. Don't let the nearly 300 pages fool you. It's a quick read.

Really good and insightful. It's broken into chapters, each chapter has many tips. Each tip has a one page sketch for the tip which makes it super fun to read.

Recommended if you're operating a business or aspiring to.
د.أمجد الجنباز
كتاب جميل وبسيط يحوي افكارا عملية في المشاريع والمؤسسات الناشئة.
هذه الافكار تسهل وتبسط التعقيد الاداري فيها
وغالبية هذه الافكار لا تنطبق على المؤسسات الكبيرة
Emma Sea
A very quick read in which I did find a few good takeaways.
Krishna
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book all about How to do business or work?, and it's gives more inspiration to the entrepreneurs and employees.

--some great words :

1.U need less than U think-if u need a big office,how to share office space?..work from home for while.

2.Inspiration is a fresh fruit on a milk, doesn't have expiration date.and ideas are model, its lost forever,doesn't lost forever is inspiration.

3.Interruption is the enemy of the productivity.
Reem Mukbel
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed every moment of reading this book, it teaches you how to simplify things to make results better.
George Jensen
Over all this book is a bunch of simple proverbs relating exactly the problems I will face my entire career as long as I stay in the field I'm in. I gave it 3 stars cause I expect to savor deeper phrases. But I still like his matter-of-fact ways. Here are a few take aways I have kept:

Great businesses have a point of view, not just a product or service. You have to believe in something. You need to have a backbone. You need to know what you’re willing to fight for. And then you need to show the w
imane
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
"You need less than you think to get a business started”
Instead of over planning, get your hand dirty, use that time to solve your problem build a product and sell it to at least 10 people.
Mario Tomic
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rework contradicts many of the standard business lessons found in other books, the book itself is written in a format of short powerful lessons and messages. I personally love the style of this writing and the overall structure with very high density of content. It can be a bit too much to digest for a reader but don't worry you can always re-read it as it's not such a long book. I found it particularly inspiring and would without doubt recommend this book if you wanna know some of the less comm ...more
Ananya Ghosh
"The myth of the overnight sensation:
You will not be a big hit right away. You will not get rich quick. You are not so special that everyone will instantly pay attention. No one cares about you. At least not yet. Get used to it...Trade the dream of overnight success for slow, measured growth. It's hard, but you have to be patient. You have to grind it out. "

Full of sassy and cut-the-crap-&-do-real-work advises , Rework is a must read for entrepreneurs (or as the book says, starters ).
Tomasz Kraus
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite SaaSish point of view. Faster read than Lean Startup. Pretty motivating. 1-day read.
Samson Sunny
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Last week I started listening to this book’s audible format. First thing I was surprised that the book is short. Listening time is less than 3 hours, I usually listen to audibles in 1.5x speed because those books will be really big. But this I listened in a normal speed so that I can grasp as many points as possible.

This book is for whoever wants to start a business and people who already running a business. It is quite different from other business management books.

This book is written by David
E BILL PAYMENTS 3 8 Jun 06, 2018 12:36PM
Tell me your thoughts 1 5 Mar 28, 2018 09:01AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. What can I do if one ISBN has different info? 8 38 Apr 03, 2016 08:07AM
BP Holdings: Work At Home Jobs: How to Avoid Getting Scammed - authorstream 2 33 Nov 10, 2012 06:30PM
This is how the world should run 1 39 May 07, 2012 03:39PM
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Poke the Box
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jason Fried is the co-founder and President of 37signals. Jason believes there’s real value and beauty in the basics. Jason co-wrote all of 37signals books, and is invited to speak around the world on entrepreneurship, design, management, and software.
“What you do is what matters, not what you think or say or plan.” 235 likes
“When you don’t know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious.” 151 likes