Start by marking “I Love You, Stupid!” as Want to Read:
I Love You, Stupid!

I Love You, Stupid!

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
It’s hard to be the world’s greatest lover when you think you’re the world’s only virgin. But that doesn’t stop the hero of our story. Just when Marcus is sure he’ll die a frustrated sex maniac, Wendy Barrett moves back into town. While combining their collection of experiences (none) and sharing their most recent disasters (many), Marcus and Wendy discover that if they we ...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Avon Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, Stupid!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You, Stupid!

Susann
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
Couldn't resist this copy from a used bookstore in Windsor Terrace. It's a bit of Then Again, Maybe I Won't, fast-forwarded about four years. Marcus is desperate to lose his virginity, but he's also a multidimensional character trying to figure things out and be a good friend to Wendy.

Mazer has a nice touch with the typically early 1980s birth control discussion and shopping expedition, and the book really shines at showing how life only gets more complicated, once the virginity threshold is cr
silver ☆彡
Me after coming across the word "phony": oh my, not Holden Caulfield 2.0... #facepalm
Me after the last page: I wish everybody stopped reading The Catcher in the Rye and read this instead.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that this book is a masterpiece in the coming of age genre. It's a slice of life about a sex-obsessed wannabe writer trying to find his path in life. Sometimes he's likeable, sometimes he's not.

Gerson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel very much because I felt a certain connect to Marcus. Something about him reminded me of myself. I like shows how Marcus aspires to be a writer of stories. His loss of virginity was one of my favorite parts because it wasn't exactly romantic in a conventional way. It's a funny, interesting, and quirky book.
Joanie
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that we read out loud at slumber parties when I was in junior high. A teenage boy and girl who have known each other since childhood decide to loose their virginity together but then realize things aren't that simple. I'm sure if I read it now I would think it was terrible, but at the time I loved it.
Angélique (Angel)
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this book. The characters(especially Marcus) were very interesting, and the overall story had me laughing through most of it. Near the end, it got more serious, but the underlying theme made that part enjoyable as well.
HeavyReader
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm pretty sure I owned this book. I don't remember much about it, but I am giving it one more star than I normally give to books I barely remember because the dude on the cover is so totally 80s and just my type.
Angelina
This book sort of reminds me of a hybrid of Then again, maybe I won't by Judy Blume and Beginner's Love by Norma Klein. It's about a nerdy, yet adorable dude named Marcus who stumbles through his first love. He's a little full of himself, but it's cute.
Ashley Vinson
This book was very interesting to me. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, plus this is the first book I actually finished this year!!! This book made me thing about so things I will have to consider later on in my life (or maybe even now). Either way, this book was wonderfully written!!!!!
Edward Davies
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's depressing to say that this was one of my favourite books when I was growing up. I wish I could find the edition I had, it isn't listed here.
Even Lin
i like the title:)
Pam
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my first romance teenage read. It was awesome to read from the teenage boy point of view.
Max
Jul 18, 2014
Jamie Lee
Jun 27, 2014
Stephanie Price
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this back in high school. I really enjoyed it.
Nov 15, 2009
Jul 27, 2011
Gracie33
Apr 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Harry Mazer is an American author of books for children and young adults, acclaimed for his 'realistic' novels. He has written twenty-two novels, including The Solid Gold Kid, The Island Keeper, Heroes Don't Run, and Snow Bound, which was adapted as an NBC After school special, as well as one work of poetry and a few short stories.
More about Harry Mazer