Start by marking “Alpha” as Want to Read:
Alpha

Alpha (Charon #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  372 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Captured by an enigmatic android for an unknown—and possibly fatal—purpose.

Charon was the most ruthless—and brilliant—criminal of the twenty-first century, a practitioner of illegal robotics and android research. He is dead now, and General Thomas Wharington believes his team of experts has deleted all the electronic copies the megalomaniacal inventor created of himself. H
Published September 5th 2006 by Baen (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alpha

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I'm done. Don't care about 8000 year old Thomas and his family woes. Don't care about Alpha. Just don't care. Also, didn't realize this was a second book.

Life is just too short for me to spend it on books like this; maybe I'll try it again. Narrator is not very impressive; sounds bored TO DEATH (this probably didn't help).

And fanboys/girls, before you shrill at me for my review, let's all remember: It is MY OPINION. You are more than entitled to love thi
P. Kirby
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
DNF. This was my third and last attempt at reading Catherine Asaro. I really, really, really wanted to love her books, but I'm just not feeling the love. The first Asaro book I read was The Charmed Sphere, a fluffy fantasy that felt like someone's first attempt at writing a novel, not a story from an award-winning author. Assuming that fantasy wasn't Asaro's thing, I then read Primary Inversion. The theoretical physics was fascinating, but the characterization rather dull (standard embittered wa ...more
Carolyn F.
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
3 stars. I wanted to like this book more than I did. When I sat the book in my lap to start reading, I was excited about a new sci-fi romance. This was okay. Except for the lust, I didn't see the romance part at all. It ended up morphing into something more but I had no idea why Alpha was so into Thomas, especially since he vaguely looked like Charon. Anyway, it was good not great and a nice quick read.
Laurie Green
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very impressive story. The characters and the world-building were amazing. Alpha was unstoppable. Now I'll have to go back and read Sunrise Alley, the first book in the series.
Josephine
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting take on the story.
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Précis Alpha is an android programmed to obey by her now dead master Charon. In the previous book, Sunrise Alley, she is captured by General Thomas Wharington. This story opens with her in captivity and Wharington is fascinated by her and wants to unlock the information she has. She escapes, kidnaps Wharington and they evolve a relationship that has many twists and turns, including the re-appearance of Charon.
The captivity has a profound effect on Alpha as well and she makes the general a very
Maureen
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sub-genre-sci-fi
Alpha was better than it's predecessor, Sunrise Alley, and as straight sci-fi books both were ok. But I'm comfused as to why this is considered a romance. Sure, the love interest is a primary focus of the story and sure, there is a bit of sex, but I'm afraid it just doesn't have the emotional connection I've come to expect from a romance. It just doesn't get inside the characters and make me feel what they are feeling like I've come to expect as a defining feature of a romance. Alpha does this b ...more
Buka
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
At first I actually thought the first three paragraphs were an annotation for this book and not one of the worst-written info-dumps I've ever encountered. As far as info-dumps go, it sounded like a mediocre fanfic.
Maybe the rest of the book is better and it did look interesting in the description but I just couldn't read past that.
Greg
Dec 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a sequel to Sunrise Alley, although you would not need to have read that book to get what is going on in this book. There is plenty of back story in the first 30 pages to enjoy this story as is.

I've never read a romance novel, but the author has a reputation for writing SF/romance crossover novels.
Thomas
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Continuation of the story from Sunrise Alley. Very interesting. Watch as Alpha changes (grows). More indepth on where AI ends and sentient begins and what makes a human. Very interesting topic hidden inside an entertaining and engaging story. Well worth the read. The writing is well done and the expansion of the characters of Thomas and Alpha is nicely done.
Lance
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
It is a good read. One that does not improve my faith in any government. Robots, etc. What is human, and not. There are some books I will read twice, this is not one of them. It is interesting to think C. Asaro maybe thinking of another follow up with Jamie.
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I'm reading books out of order again and I've missed a lot of background to put this book in perspective.
It was a great book anyway, confronting the "when is a robot considered a human?" question and packed with action.
Kerry
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9, sf, 2006
Alpha by Catherine Asaro (9/10)
SF with a good touch of romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but I'm biased to like Asaro and this didn't disappoint, although it took a while to get moving.

[Copied across from Library Thing; 5 November 2012]
Jackie
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
An action-packed adventure that also poses some intriguing questions about the line between human and machine. The rather unconvincing romance (70-something army man with 30-ish-looking AI-woman) made is less engaging for this romance-junky than it might be to those who care more about action.
Jedi Kitty
Although I love Asaro, I put off reading this for a while because I thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much as her others. However once I did start it- I couldn't put it down! This has much more action than most of her books! More action, than character driven, but still great!
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TBR
Tressa
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I found the story a bit repetitive and the characters were okay. I didn't realize that this was a sequel to Sunrise Alley, but the book does stand on its own.
Amy
Not to my taste, but I can see where others could be very fond of this author.
Vicki Doronina
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: syfy, didn-t-finish
Primitive.
Nicole
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nicole by: Linnea Sinclair - on her blog
I'll be looking for more Catherine Asaro :)
PWRL
Mar 18, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Beth
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: wobble, sf
Does what it says on the tin.
Tim
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
This Title was an excellent Sci-Fi/Future/Romance. This title will be on either my bookshelf or in my hands being reread
Pioden
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sequel, kind of, to Sunrise alley, but a stand alone
Robots, AIs, Romance and ethics...
Ginnie
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun romp :))
Patrick
Jun 17, 2009 rated it liked it
fun and good character development, as usual for the author
Caroline
OK – this series not as good as the rest. Not quite plausible.
VMom
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Got this off the library's new books stand. Not Asaro's best book, but it was a fun read.
Eve
Mar 25, 2009
Witchwood
Feb 19, 2015
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Alanya to Alanya
  • Dangerous Space
  • Dreamships
  • Fallen Host (LINK Angel, #2)
  • The Last Mortal Man (The Deathless #1)
  • Hope's Folly (Dock Five Universe, #3)
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • Omega Games (Stardoc, #8)
  • The Silent City (Silent City #1)
  • The Warriors of Dawn (Ler, #1)
  • Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine
More about Catherine Asaro...

Charon (2 books)