Start by marking “The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide” as Want to Read:
The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide

The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide

“This small volume can be a valuable resource. In it, you will find no creed of belief to which you must subscribe to be a Unitarian Universalist, no statement of doctrine. Unitarian Universalists value the individual spiritual journey and believe that there is no one right way to lead a religious life. For us, religion is ultimately not about what you think. Religion is a ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 103 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Skinner House Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide

Start your review of The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide
Tamra
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid introduction to Unitarian Universalism. It's a VERY brief handling of the foundational ways and thoughts and traditions of UU. As someone just learning about the UU church and principles, this was a helpful resource.

And that's the cohort of people this book was written for: the newcomer. I would imagine if you know more than just the most basic ideas of UU, this book won't be very useful to you.
Kai Fawn
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the more useful introductions to a religion I’ve ever read.
Danni Green
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this at my local UU church. It's obviously out of date (the 1999 edition) but it's cute, concise, and clear.
C.J.
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to the UU religion.
Theresa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
A good intro to this spiritual path but I was left wanting more. Maybe that was the point?
Scribblescribe
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
It was an okay read. It was sort of dense on names, dates, and little details without too many pictures to help describe it to the reader. I wish they would've used graphics and images to place it better in the reader's mind's eye. It was a good read though overall, because when I first started the book I thought it was a form of Christianity but Unitarian Universalists, while coming from Christian roots are not Christian. UU is a separate religion based on the concept of social justice and a pr ...more
Carly
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Obviously a good introduction to Unitarian Universalism, but mostly a repetition of what you will find in many other books such as "A Chosen Faith". I think I would recommend that volume more strongly to someone seriously considering the faith or wanting to truly learn about it. But if you don't want to commit to a week of reading or are more interested in the history, then this is certainly a good little collection of essays and a more in depth timeline and history. Definitely a book to keep on ...more
Kathleen
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Unitarian Universalism is sometimes critiqued by non UU folks for not being clear about its principles or lacking substance. These critiques reflect a misunderstanding of Unitarian Universalism. This book does a great job of illustrating the principles UU members live by, the movement UU members are involved in, and the history of the UU faith. It's an excellent, brief introduction to a profoundly progressive, healing, and inclusive faith.
Whit Preston
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This books has helped open my mind about Unitarian Universalism. The articles are well-written, the history of the church is properly traced and concisely retold, and the overall premise of the church is best summarized by the following motto: "We are a religion of deeds, not creeds."
Jen
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
It's short and dry but it provides an excellent overview to the church. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in UU, but if you are just looking for an interesting religious read, I can recommend many that are better.
Jamie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Short and readable.
Daniel
With a new introduction by UUA President Sinkford, this edition includes essays on our faith, heritage, worship, religious education, ministry and important dates in UU history. Classic resource for visitors and new members. (Skinner House) 2004. 120pp. 2
AngiJo
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want a brief intro to the UU community
This was almost too brief. But what can you expect from a "pocket guide?" It was a good overview, with an excellent list of resources in the back for who those who want a little more in-depth information or history.
Terry
Feb 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Informative in a Pocket Guide kind of way...
A little dry...especially compared to the energy of the UU meetings I have attended.
Colin
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
An excellent introduction to Unitarian Universalist thought; highly recommended to anyone interested in Unitarian Universalism.
Amy
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great to have on hand.
Norabear
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Excellent introduction to the UU faith.
Rev. Sharon Wylie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick, accessible, and reasonably thorough introduction to many aspects of UUism: faith, ministry, worship, religious education, social justice, evangelism, and history.
Yaaresse
Short, readable if a bit dry, a basic introduction to the UU doctrine (such as it is.)
Kind of an infomercial in print form.
Mariah
Nice basic introduction to Unitarian Universalism. A good thing to hand to friends/family members who are baffled as to this obscure church you've joined.
Julie Horwitz
Nov 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-To Book
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Living the Questions: The Wisdom of Progressive Christianity
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is the central organization for the Unitarian Universalist (UU) religious movement in the United States. The UUA’s 1000+ member congregations are committed to Seven Principles that include the worth of each person, the need for justice and compassion, and the right to choose one’s own beliefs. Our congregations and faith communities promote these princi ...more

News & Interviews