Start by marking “A Once and Future Love” as Want to Read:
A Once and Future Love

A Once and Future Love

England, 1994. When Richard Lambert's beloved wife dies, he thinks he will never find love again. Until, while exploring a medieval tower, he falls from the steps -- and into another time...

England, 1214. When he wakes, he's in the body of his ancestor, who is near death from battle. As his wife nurses him back to health, she finds he is not the cruel man she knew. And he

Paperback, Jove Time Passages, #27, 266 pages
Published December 1st 1998 by Jove

Start your review of A Once and Future Love
Atunah
Somewhere between a 2 and a 3 I guess.

Overall ok, but many things annoyed. Interesting that in this time travel, its the hero that goes into the past, not the heroine. So points for that.
Unfortunately, he turned out to be too accepting of all the politics, intrigue and all that was going on back around the year 1214.

I did like the weaving in of history of the Magna Carta. That stuff just interests me.

Most annoying though was the actions of the heroine towards the end where she tells the
Laure Estep
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Enjoyable read though it lacked a certain spark of life that would have elevated it to an incredible book. Richard, our hero, is a widower dealing with the loss of his beloved wife and goes to visit a place on the welsh border that his wife always loved. A fall at the ruins of the church send him back to 1215, into somebody else's body and life. I liked that this time around it was the hero, a rather unconventional hero at his age as well, who travelled back in time. This Richard, so
Heike
A middle aged American visits England as a last request of his beloved late wife. While exploring some ruins he falls down the stairs ... and wakes up in the body of a 30ish year old 13th century war lord, severely injured and hated for his cruelty by most, including his wife.

Now he has to deal with different customs, language and his (presumably) changed personality. Which he struggles with quite a bit, but somehow language problems cease to exist almost from one page to the next.
Luckily I can
Monique
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow...this was really good! I love the historical background and the drama; I loved the H/h; and the ending was sweet...it actually brought a tear to my eye (I think it was the left eye).
I want a (second revision - not the first model) Richard of my own! And with the exception of her short-lived doubts regarding Richard, I loved the character of Eleanor as well.
I read the latest revision of the story, but I did find some typos throughout the read. And a discrepancy with the years as far as the
Melissa
Loved what I read, but I'm more of a slow burn girl not throw you in the fire;] So I am not big on sexual content in books. I'm more of a PG girl. I read about half of this book and what I read I liked, but I could tell it was going to have lots of lust and less of a old fashioned slow developing romance. I did like the whole idea. Very different from other time travel books I have read. The love story was a unusual one. Both of them have to fight ghosts of the past to be free to love each ...more
Anneke
Republished, but messed up editing. If you change the year you start out your story from 1993 to 2014, mind that your protagonist's birth year should be moved two decades ahead as well. Mistakes like those are avoidable and spoil the joy of reading.
There are also points that make it obvious the author is American and failed to research Europe in the Middle Ages. You might think a new edition of a book originally posted some twenty years ago would have tried to get rid of those, too. Minus
Pamela Murrey
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I hated each time that I had to put this down. The story invaded my dreams. This is a spell binder from the beginning.
HerbN
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

A Once and Future Love was my first time travel romance. Based on it, it will not be my last, nor will it be my last book by Anne Kelleher. It had three big strengths separate from the things that have kept me reading romance on and off.

First, a didn’t want to toss my eReader due to blatant ignorance of history. Nothing glaring jumped out at me as wrong, although once or twice my thoughts ran to, “Are you sure this fits in the first half of the thirteenth century.” Even more outstanding, in my

Gloria DeGeare
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding eternal love in Two lifetimes.....

Richard de Lambert, generations removed from his 13th century ancestor of the same name, travels to his English ancestral home after his beloved Lucy died. A trip they'd planned to take together...engulfs him in sadness. As he turns to leave castle ruins, a 3-story fall finds him waking up in 1213 or so. Same name, younger stronger body, a wife every bit as beautiful as his Lucy, Richard's injuries keep him from talking so he observes and listens,
Chandra
SENSUALITY RATING: No PROFANITY; Yes SEXUAL ENCOUNTERS though very mild in nature and in the realms of marriage; No Euphemistic "CODE WORDS

GENRE: Historical Romance; Reincarnation; Time travel; “Somewhat but no completely” a Clean Romance

SETTING: 13th Century ENGLAND; Time period of the Normans and their enemy the Welsh.

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTER: LADY ELEANOR DE LAMBERT-simple; quiet; fearful; submissive but passionate.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: LORD RICHARD DE LAMBERT-warrior; mean streak later to
Karen Field
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty, I didn't expect much from this book. I purchased it from Bookbud for 99 cents. I had no expectations. The only reason I purchased it was because I felt like reading a book where someone from the here and now goes back in time.

All I can say is that I am glad I succumbed to my own wanting, and I am glad it was this book I decided on. Why? Because I thoroughly enjoyed it, that's why.

From the start I found I liked the main character and was drawn into his story. When he went back in
Debby Taylor-Lane
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story; the time-slip transition is written well all questions about the process covered (which my curious mind appreciated :-). Love the ending.
Richard is perfectly developed, his confusion in the beginning and determination in the end jumped off the page. Good research created believable historical characters.

My only "gripe" (and it's a small one) is Llywelyn Fawr was renamed Lewelis (sp? Don't have book in front of me). Llywelyn was such a huge figure in this time that he deserves the
Penny
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Me Kelleher has written a wonderful story. I thought, "not another time travel romance" but when I read the reviews I saw a five star review from a guy, so I thought why not. This is a story that makes sense for someone sent back in time. There is not an immediate understanding of the language and culture and customs and the problems that might cause. I also liked that it was a clean story. I don't need to read blow by blow what happens in the bedroom. No matter how you slice it or
Jill M
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book was interesting...but

*SPOILERS*

One Richard went back in time, he sure learned to speak Norman French rapidly!
Also, he seemed to show no remorse at never seeing his kids or grandkids again.
And I understand muscle memory, but there is no way a modern man would have been capable of swordfighting like he did.
I wasn't impressed in any way with the character of Eleanor, she seemed cringing and horny for the old Richard simultaneously, and she shouldn't have run her mouth about
Priscilla A Finkle
What an Amazing Historical Love Story

I love books with time travel, romance and intrigue! This wonderful story included all aspects. Be prepared with a box of tissues by your side because you will need them. I've never been a history buff, but I loved learning about life in the 13th century. This site makes me appreciate live in the 21st century with all it's modern conveniences. This is the first book authored by you that I have read and I can't wait to read the next releases. Happy writing!!
d f conklin mcculloch
To discover love for all time

I am always fascinated how authors contrast lifestyles between time periods in time travel tales. Anne Kelleher does this in language, historical references of people and place and person. Alone, Richard is taking the trip to England he and Lucy were supposed to take together. Lucy loved medieval England, land of kings and knights. Visiting the ruins of Barland Castle Richard has a fall awakening no longer in the 21 century but in the 13 century.
Diana
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I had read it before, it was so familiar in many places.

The plot was well done and thought out. The ending was so romantic. I don't remember the other. BUT, the editing left a lot to be desired. Even some of the letters were strange, "]" for I or in lot? Was this " old English " it just mistakes? "Fri" for fire ! Luckily the story line made up for glaring mistakes and I could make out the gist of it.
Rita Wright
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Travel with a twist.

I absolutely Love time travel. This book had a very different twist than others i have read. I was very P!eased. I read it and cried when I finished. I am interested in other works by this author. Anne Kelleher is an author i will be enjoying again, I'm sure.
Shelly La rouche-arbogast
Good story

I came across this title in my Recommendation section. I downloaded the sample and I was hooked before the first page ended. I liked the characters and the story was good. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was because of the ending immediately following the fight.
Teresa Thompson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is eternal!

Through an unfortunate accident a lawyer is transported back in time to a harsher century of barbaric wars and even harsher elements with no modern day conveniences. Finding his eternal love, he learns his worth as a negotiated and finds his place in history. A fascinating story that leaves you wanting more!
M Camille Woodcox
A great time travel romance

I gave it five stars. It was a believable story, at least for me. It was filled with history and a lovely romance. It was a great way to escape into the pages of the novel. The characters were believable and the book was easy to read and didn't drag along
Jo
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.....

I've read a lot of time travel romances and have the habit of comparing them to Diana Gabaldon and usually find them lacking. While this book is nothing like hers, the historical information and the writing style kept me engrossed for two days, and the ending was a surprise. Definitely one to be re-read multiple times!
Sharon Lourenco
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good love and time travel story

I loved this book. It was interesting and easy to read. Sometimes books are confusing and this one was not. The character's were well written. I wish there was more to read. I have this 5 Stars because I enjoyed the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good love story and time travel story.
Deborah Stovall
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Done

This story had me laugh, smile, cringe and cry. Eleanor and Richard and the surrounding cast of characters were so real that the story swept me along for the ride. This story has a little different take on time travel and it worked superbly. If you like a love story, this is a good one.
Judy Stambaugh
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

A man falls into the 13th century and inhabits the body of a fallen knight. The knight's wife is the spitting image of the man's wife, who had passed . The knights was a cold hearted, mean spirited man. Just the opposite of the man who "fell". Will he stay in the past? Will he and the knights wife fall in love? No give away here!
Sharon Mindock
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply loved this book!

Yes, it is a time travel story, but written movingly. It is about love that is lost and then found. How life brings a soul lost to life, to find once again life and love in world that is full of deceit, death, and war. History can be enchanting. Oh, I wept for the loss, and found joy I in the living. Great book.
sandy forguson
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard and eleanor

Such an enchanting and well written story for Richard and Eleanor both it was a second chance and in the ending a second chance for Richard and Lucy to go forever together what a heart warming story that is a keeper would highly recommend they had their HEA twice and then some
Patti
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down

I don't often write reviews. This book is an exception. The love story is timeless. I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did. Time travel romance is one of my favorite genres. I would love to read more of Richard and Eleanor/Lucy adventures. Thank you for this great book.
Shelly Boltz-Zito
Wonderful

Love can travel through time, decades, centuries. Time travel is what I wish I could do and reading this book helped me travel back in time to a time that I Love to read about. This is a fantastic book full of family love and the struggles that people go to to get what they want and how love overcome everything. A great read!
Diane Jarvi
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

Enjoyed this book. Very interesting how Richard actually possessed another man's body when he time traveled. Different than most time travel books I've read. Liked how Eleanor and Richard rediscovered each other.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Time To Change
  • The Betrayed (Echoes from the Past, #7)
  • The Christmas Eve Daughter - A Time Travel Novel: The Sequel to The Christmas Eve Letter
  • Time Change: A Time Travel Romance Novel
  • The Condemned (Echoes from the Past, #6)
  • The Forsaken (Echoes from the Past, #4)
  • The Unseen (Echoes from the Past, #5)
  • Ever Crave the Rose (The Elizabethan Time Travel, #3)
  • The Thornless Rose (Elizabethan Time Travel, #1)
  • A Game of Shadows (Hands of Time, #4)
  • The Ties That Bind (The Hands of Time, #6)
  • Yesterday's Tears (A Slip in Time #1)
  • The Christmas Eve Letter: A Time Travel Novel
  • The Forgotten (Echoes from the Past, #2)
  • The Lovers (Echoes from the Past, #1)
  • Comes The Dawn (The Wonderland Series: Book 5)
  • The Hands of Time (Hands of Time, #1)
  • Shattered Moments (Hands of Time #5)
Born and raised at the South Jersey shore, Anne holds a BA from Johns Hopkins University in Medieval Studies and has studied English language and literature at the University of Connecticut and Storytelling and Oral Traditions at the Institute for Graduate Studies. The mother of four, Anne now resides in Connecticut and Hawaii. Find out more at www.annekelleher.net.