Start by marking “Shriman Yogi (श्रीमान योगी)” as Want to Read:
Shriman Yogi (श्रीमान योगी)

Shriman Yogi (श्रीमान योगी)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  3,005 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Shrimanyogi is a biographical work on the life and the achievements of the great Maratha king, Chatrapathi Shivaji. Shivaji has been a legendary figure in the Indian history.

Shivaji was one of the major influences on the revival of nationalism and Hindu culture during a period when centuries of rule by Muslim invaders had induced a condition of apathy and indifference in t
Published May 2012 by Mehta Publishing House (first published January 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Shriman Yogi, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vijay Rayasam You get it in any local book stores or local libraries. Otherwise try purchasing online from bookganga.com

Ashish Iyer
Wonderful book to read about Shivaji and his personality. The book shows the depths to which the author has gone to find details about the life of the Great Shivaji Maharaj. A fabulous read about life of Shivaji Maharaj, depicted with every minute detail of his personal life, warfare, his bonding with subordinates. This book make you understand about Shivaji Maharaj, his Nature and how he build Maratha Empire.

Avadhut
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Language – Marathi/English

My Rating – 5/5

Summary –

Shreeman Yogi is a historical novel depicting life of Chatrapati Shivaji. Scripted by Ranjit Desai, the celebrated Marathi author, Shreeman Yogi along with Swami is considered as the best among his works.

Review –

Being a Maharashtrian it is extremely difficult for me to critically review any work on the life of Shivaji. Shivaji is revered by us as the greatest among the Indian kings. So rather than writing ab
Santosh
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
no words to express...
अंगावर काटा येतो , रकत उसळायला लागत ,आतून आवाज येतो हर हर महादेव !
red this book several times, first time red when i was in 4 std. , give me strength to fight against all odds...
Apoorv  Moghe
It is one thrilling ride.. through history and mystery !
What is the most charming facet of the book is its sensitivity. The way Ranjit Desai handles his pen is definitely as worthy as how the great Shivaji would have had handled his mighty sword.

This is an ode to the magnum-opus called Shivaji, not just as a king and a warrior but also as a person !
dhrona
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you have been desperate to read about Shivaji and had trouble reading refined Marathi then this might be your best hope. This is not really a biography but more a dramatized presentation of Shivaji's life.

I have enjoyed reading this book, mostly because I had wanted to read about him for a long time. If you are well conversant with Marathi then you should read the original "Shrimanyogi" by Ranjit Desai. This book is a translation and doesn't really live up to the original book. The translati
Shweta
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marathi, history
Heart touching saga of the great Maratha Warrior. A must read for every history lover.
Vijay Rayasam
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently completed reading this book. I found it very beautiful and more importantly the feelings erupt from us while reading it. The discriptions made in this book are amazing and will definately make you cry. While reading we can actually imagine the entire scene running in front of our eyes. Another important feature is being a non maharshtrian i could read and understand the language, so the language used by the author is very simple. So my request to those people who are non maharashtrian ...more
Nitin Kulkarni
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is the best fiction,or rather imaginary book based on great maratha warrior chhatrpati shivaji...... i m saying that because its not written as history...... but a story.
Rahul
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me in my tough times of life... i thank the author for writing it!!!
Varad
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a source of inspiration, a source of positivity. You will learn a lot.
Shri.Desai sir has written extremely well and in very easy language to understand anyone
Really this is a book I will advise anyone to read
Nitin Kulkarni
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was lucky to spend some memorable moments with ranjeetdada over a period of time. he used to get stuck in to the subject he is writing about, i`ve seen him doing that when he was handling " RAJA RAVIVERMA". this was in htl gokul,kolhapur, maharashtra.
Tejas Phaltankar
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i want to read this book
Shrirang Deshpande
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very fantastic journey of shivaji maharaj
SAM
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sam
i want to read this book.
Sagar Mujumdar
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Romanchak! Apratim!!
Pankaj Patil
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
मोघली अंमलाखाली पिळलया जाणारा महाराषटर,शहाजी महाराजांचया मनातील सुपत इचछा आणि मासाहेब जिजाऊंची साद सवराजय सथापनेचया सवपनाला.शिवनेरीवरील शिवजनम,दादोजी कोंडदेवाची शिकषा,रोहिडेशवरसाकषीने घेतलेली सवराजयसथापनेची शपथ,एकापाठोपाठ सर केलेले किलले,जिवाभावाचे सवंगडी मावळे आणि काळजाचा ठोका चुकवतील असले शतरू-शायिसतेखान,अफझलखान,मिरझाराजे, दिलेरखान आणि औरंगज़ेब.हे रयतेचे राजय महणत सवराजय उभारणाऱया आणि गुलामी आमचया रकतात नाही हा विचार रुजवणाऱया थोरलया छतरपतींना मानाचा मुजरा.

संगरही ठेवावी अशी आणि परतयेकाने वाचावी
Suyash
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marathi
Best book available on Shivaji Maharaj. Vaachtana rakta usalta. Proud feel hota. So inspirational. Khup mast
Ajay Lad
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The epoch-maker Chhatrapati was at first a Muslim’s dependent but he managed from the age of fifteen to free his small jagir of Poona and based his future greatness on that small beginning, entirely relying on his own effort and initiative. ….. He welded the scattered elements of his people into united body and with their help accomplished his main object.
He established an independent kingdom of his own stretching from Salher and Ahiwant in the West Khandesh to Tanjore on the Kaveri, with uncha
Yogesh Kamble
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-history
One of the best book I ever read and after reading this book I truly understand Shivaji Maharaj and his Nature and how he build Maratha Empire.

The way the book is written by Ranjit Desai is awesome, while reading book whole history play in front of your eyes and you just feel you are with Shivaji Maharaj in his Life Journey.

Each and every situation is very detailed explained by Ranjit Desai that shows how much research writer had made while writing this book.

Book will properly explain how Shivaj
Aniket Mahajani
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marathi
There are various books in marathi on Shivaji, no doubt his life is full of all thats required for a novel that there is hardly anyone who wont like to write about him....have gone through few of such books on him already, as compared to "Raja Shivchhatrapati" by Babasaheb Purandare,felt this is not that elaborative & detailed...although its rich enough to portray the great kings life n almost all aspects in it
Pranav Naik
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Journey through life of Shivaji Maharaj

A fabulous read about life of Shivaji Maharaj, depicted with every minute detail of his personal life, warfare, his bonding with subordinates. A must read for those who dont know much about the life of Shivaji Maharaj.
Ranjit Desai has the nack of capturing the right essence of the scene just through powerful dialogues and words, and the whole appears live in front of the reader.
Ankit Agarwal
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Starts out a bit slow, but draws you in as the story progresses. Takes a pragmatic look at the life of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Doesn't potray him as a demigod but a human being who overcame tremendous odds to set an example for generations to come. Highly recommended for anybody with an interest in history.
Pranav PATIL
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best researched book ever. Just loved the way it is written. Very interesting, this was the 2nd book on Chattrapathi Shivaji. You'll be so satisfied after buying it. A real gem of Indian Literature. The Author is of my district and later I came to know that he was very close to my uncle. My mind was honored after reading it.
Prachiti Talathi
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shriman Yogi is a book about Shivaji Maharaj. There are various books written on Shivaji Maharaj, King of Maratha Kingdom. This is one of my favourite. This book focuses on the struggle Maharaj faced in his life while building a nation. Worth read by all Marathi speakers.
Subhash Gole
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
i read many book on The Great Hindu King Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj But this book is one of great book, spacial y Narahar Kurandikar introduction on Shivaji Maharaj.
Overall view of writer (Ranjit Desai) is good & it is great criation.
Kedar Takalkar
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read it umpteen no of times.... beautiful language... describing one of the most thrilling n courageous part of Indian and in particular, Maharashtra's history.... the scenes are epic..... N so is the life of Shivaji Maharaj....
Mrunmai Kulkarni
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book shows the depths to which the author has gone to find details about the life of the Great Shivaji Maharaj. Of course it's not my place to comment on anything. Ranjit Desai is a great author and is truly revered.
Ayush Sen
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
one of the best book that i have ever read.
SHIVAJI completly a true hero and a great leader
MUST READ....
Ravish
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book to read about Shivaji and his personality
Pankaj Labade
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Classic and best book on Shivaji Maharaj.
  • असा मी असामी [Asa Mi Asami]
  • Majhi Janmathep
  • Zunj
  • एक होता कार्व्हर
  • Amrutvel
परसिदध कादंबरीकार , कथालेखक , नाटककार . रणजित देसाई मूळचे कोलहापूरचया कोवाडचे. इंगरजी शाळेत असतानाच तयांनी लेखनाला सुरुवात केली. कोलहापूरचया ' महादवार ' मधून तयांनी कथालेखन करायला सुरुवात केली.

इंटर नापास असलेलया देसाई यांनी १९४७ मधये परसाद मासिकाने आयोजीत केलेलया कथासपरधेत भैरव ही कथा सादर केली. तयांचया कथेला पारितोषिक मिळाले. या पारितोषिकामुळे तयांचया कथालेखनाला परोतसाहन मिळाले. रुपमहाल (१९५२) ,
More about रणजित देसाई

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“राजे, आज अमावास्या. उद्या गेलं, तर बरं.’ राजे म्हणाले, ‘आज अमावास्या खरी. पण उद्या प्रतिपदा आहे. प्रतिपदेचा विजय वाढता असतो. तोच घरी येऊ दे. तो मिळवायला अमावास्येला बाहेर पडायला हवं.” 5 likes