Start by marking “The Weave of My Life: A Dalit Woman's Memoirs” as Want to Read:
The Weave of My Life: A Dalit Woman's Memoirs

The Weave of My Life: A Dalit Woman's Memoirs

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"My mother used to weave aaydans, the Marathi generic term for all things made from bamboo. I find that her act of weaving and my act of writing are organically linked. The weave is similar. It is the weave of pain, suffering, and agony that links us."

Activist and award-winning writer Urmila Pawar recounts three generations of Dalit women who struggled to overcome the burd
Published June 1st 2009 by Columbia University Press (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Weave of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weave of My Life

Debbie
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Weave of My Life is the memoir of an "untouchable" caste woman in India. She is an excellent storyteller, skillfully bringing her stories alive in my imagination.

She gives details of what daily village life was like in the time of her grandmother, mother, and in her childhood. She also talks about how things have changed for the Dalits during her lifetime. She gives some information about Hinduism and Buddhism and the political movements that helped change life for the Dalits, but generally
Jessica Zu
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful peace of testimonio writing, or roman a clef. It ties nicely with Appiah piece on cosmopolitan reading, by telling detailed and concrete stories, testimonio writing allows readers to conjure up a world that allows them to empathize with the kind of life depicted while still keeping a critical distance--we are similar but NOT the same.
Sayali
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved every part of this book. A beautifully woven set of memories and experiences from the life of a female Dalit activist and award-winning writer. Urmila Pawar doesn't hold back when it comes to writing her experiences about patriarchy and caste, and how she grappled with them throughout her life. This book is one of those that I'll be going back to every now and then!
Elevate Difference
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
At the end of her memoir, The Weave of My Life, Urmila Pawar writes, “Life has taught me many things, showed me so much, it has also lashed out at me till I bled. I don’t know how much longer I am going to live, nor do I know in what form life is going to confront me. Let it come in any form; I am ready to face it stoically. This is what my life has taught me. This is my life and that is me!”

People write memoirs for different reasons. Some write memoirs because they’re paid a lot of money to giv
Vivek
Sep 18, 2013 added it
the moving saga of a socially deprived woman who fights all odds in life
Ms. Online
Pawar, born into a family of “untouchables,” tells of three generations of women driven even deeper into invisibility by the patriarchy of their Dalit caste.
Jeyathud