Start by marking “Poeta En Nueva York (Pocas Palabras)” as Want to Read:
Poeta En Nueva York (Pocas Palabras)

Poeta En Nueva York (Pocas Palabras)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,830 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Este libro sobre Nueva York -explicoacute; Federico a un periodista-, que traje de mi viaje a los Estados Unidos, no he querido darlo a ninguno de los editores que me lo han pedido. Despueacute;s lo publicareacute;, pero primero quiero darlo a conocer en la forma de una conferencia. Leereacute; versos y explicareacute; coacute;mo han surgido. Es decir, lo ireacute; leyendo ...more
Published April 28th 1998 by Lumen Espana (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Poeta En Nueva York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poeta En Nueva York

Roy Lotz
I want to cry because I feel like it
as the boys in the back row cry,
because I am not a man nor a poet nor a leaf
but a wounded pulse that probes the things of the other side.

Poetry is an odd thing. You notice this when you encounter poetry in a second language. This happened to me a few weeks ago, when I went to a poetry reading in Madrid. There were four or five poets there, some of them fairly well-known, with a crowd of hushed listeners hanging on their every word. Meanwhile, with my very im
MJ Nicholls
Devastating poems composed during the Andalusian bard’s 1929-30 stay in New York. This edition contains a brilliant introduction and unobtrusive commentaries, plus a lecture (which I read) and letters to his family (which I skipped). My favourite of the cycle is this spinechilling number from Part III, Streets and Dreams (with incorrect line breaks and my apologies to the poet):

Sleepless City (Brooklyn Bridge Nocturne)

Out in the sky, no one sleeps. No one, no one.
No one sleeps.
Lunar creatures s
Rita
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De Lorca no hay que hablar, hay que leer, leer, leer...
Julie Ehlers
"On this bridge, Lorca warns, life is not a dream. Beware, and beware, and beware.... Before you drift off, don't forget, which is to say, remember—because remembering is so much more a psychotic activity than forgetting—Lorca in that same poem said that the iguana will bite those who do not dream."

These lines, spoken by Timothy "Speed" Levitch as he stands on the Brooklyn Bridge in my favorite movie, Waking Life, always intrigued me. The idea of the Spanish poet Lorca on the Brooklyn Bridge was
Sheziss
Hay quien dice que el público adoraba Romancero Gitano porque lo entendía. Éste no se entendió. Yo debo de ser una de esas personas.

Publicado póstumamente en 1940.
Mientras Leo
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imprescindible. No sólo por ser Lorca, por ser un gran nombre de nuestras letras. Imprescindible por sí mismo. Una gran lectura.
Alan
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
o Lorca. If only you were buried nearby so I could hump your grave while sobbing. Best, most tortured, sweetest, strangest, most bitter.
Maria
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Probablemente mi poema favorito de esta coleccion:

CIUDAD SIN SUEÑO (NOCTURNO DEL BROOKLYN BRIDGE)

No duerme nadie por el cielo. Nadie, nadie.
No duerme nadie.
Las criaturas de la luna huelen y rondan sus cabañas.
Vendrán las iguanas vivas a morder a los hombres que no sueñan
y el que huye con el corazón roto encontrará por las esquinas
al increíble cocodrilo quieto bajo la tierna protesta de los astros.

No duerme nadie por el mundo. Nadie, nadie.
No duerme nadie.
Hay un muerto en el cementerio má
Alex
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing of Lorca until this weekend, which saddens and embarrasses me since I adore Spanish culture. I watched the film 'Little Ashes' thinking it was about Salvador Dali but found the life and causes of Dali's poet lover Federico Garcia Lorca much more compelling. My friend was kind enough to lend me this book of poems he wrote about his experiences while studying in New York and visiting Cuba.

This edition came with a fantastic introduction which gave a lot of context to the often confu
Peycho Kanev
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Gabriel Garcia Lorca truly shows that when it comes to the movements as a city with ties to industry, capitalistic gain and material wealth, there is no division between the life of the human being and the life of the machine. Lorca arrived in New York just in time to witness the chaos created by the 1929 stock market crash. The poet's favorite neighborhood was Harlem; he loved African-American spirituals, which reminded him of Spain's "deep songs."
Like jazz and soul, it holds rage, irony and gr
جابر طاحون
أكتر عمل أحبه للوركا صديق القمر والشجر والغجر وعريس ربة الشعر الذي لم يعد إنساناً ولا شاعراً ولا ورقة ، رغم كونه أوسط أعماله و الذي بدأ فيه يتحكم في أدواته الشعرية التي ظهرت بعد ذلك في بقية أعماله الشعرية و المسرحية .الديوان متشابك مع شعر إليوت و خصوصا الأرض الخراب و أربعاء الرماد ،خصوصًا في التضحية الشعائريةو التشابك و التداخل و صور الانهيار و العقم و الشذوذ و صور الخراب الظاهرة في مجموعتين الأولي الجماهير المتقيئة المدمرة المفسدة للحياة و الثانية أدوات العقاب و التطهير التي ستقع علي المدينة و ...more
Reb_flynn
Porque no habia leido a Lorca antes??
Chetley
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Themes: Primitivism vs Mechanization. Nature vs City. Science vs Emotion,"Magic" aka the Spirit. Wildness. Puritanism. Fluidity vs Structure. Death. Money. Reality vs Dreams (false dreams aka untruths).
Lorca wrote on New York as a "savage" place doomed by mechanization, money, science, the loss of nature, wildness, fluidity, and the denial of roots and primitivism. For instance, from the Dance of Death:
Between the sphinx and the bank vault, there is a taut thread
that pierces the heart of all po
Roqaiah Al-Fareed
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لم أجد هنا نسخة الكتاب الذي بين يدي..
النسخة الصادرة عن دار أزمنة ترجمة حسين مجيد
عن دراسة لديريك هاريس..

هنا لوركا عندما أتيحت له فرصة السفر لأمريكا غرض دخول الجامعة في نيويورك فكتب ديوانه الواضح من مسماه في حين قضائه تلك المدة مابين منتصف عام 1929 لأواخر عام 1930.. عندما زُكي في ذهابه لتعلم الانجليزية في الجامعة
قال: داوها بالداء
إلا أنه بعد ما يقارب الستة أشهر فقط لم يكمل دواءه "الداء"

نهج لوركا الأسباني منهج السريالية التعبيرية فاتضحت في هذا الديوان، هو مذهب فني أدبي وفكري إنتهجه وأبدع فيه الفرنسي
Kurt
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. I hear the word "Surrealism" tossed around a lot in reference to this work, but I'm not sure that I agree with that description, even though I understand what people mean when they say it. In my opinion, Lorca is attempting to use words in a descriptive way so as to capture setting, emotion and character, (many times the setting and character are New York, the city itself)much in the way an artist uses paint.The words themselves transcend their literal meanings. What as ...more
Greg
A favourite book, which I've had since my youth, when I was discovering a wider world.
Richard
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
How to write a review of a work that I barely understand, but find so beautiful I have to give it 5 bright, and shining stars?

I bought my first copy of Poet in New York over 40 years ago. It was Ben Bellit's translation. Mr. Bellit has also translated Pablo Neruda. I can't say as I find any of his translations readable. But, I persevered, opening the book every now and then, and finding the lines mostly incomprehensible blamed the translation and said, "Maybe later."

The new Simon and White trans
Rachel Louise Atkin
A genuinely amazing collection. I haven't been moved by poetry like this in a long time, but there were definitely some poems that stood out more than others. I thought this gave an amazing portrait of Lorca's life and his experience of New York as a city, and his use of language and imagery was astounding in its surrealism.
The end of the book contains his letters to his family from Columbia and I had a fun time reading them. Nice to know he was asking his parents to give him money to live too.
Amina - أمينَة.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
مالي أقرأ الحُزن والتعاسة في قصائد لوركا !
ألا توجد لديه قصيدة مُفرحه واحده ؟ بعد تجربة مرثية مصارع الثيران , أنتقل لـ شاعر في نيويورك التي لا تقلّ بؤسًا و روعةً و جمالًا عن سابقتها .
ولكي تقرأ لـ لوركا يجب عليك أن تتمعّن في الكلمات جيدًا و أن تقف على بعضها كثيرًا , لإختزال المعنى منها ...

أنا :
فراغٌ مزقته السواطير الملثومه
والقشر الجاف للعنب المحايد
وخيوط الفجر الأميانتية
كل أنوار العالم تكمن في عين واحدة !
و يغنّي الديك , ويبقى غنائهُ أكثر مما تبقى أجنحتهُ .

أنا :
عن نيويورك .. عن أمريكا الشمالية
عن سانتياغو .. عن كوبا .. عن أمريكا الجنوبية
عن الزنوج .. عن العبيد .. عن أفريقيا
عن الموت .. عن الذل .. عن الإنسانية النتنة

لم يعتمد لوركا في ديوانه هذا على الأنغام والقوافي، وإنما كان يستهدف المعاني العميقة، وعند ترجمة شعره إلى العربية فقد بعضاً من غنائيته لكنه لم يفقد شيئاً من معانيه.

أسلوبه رائع للغاية وقدرته المميزة على اختيار مفرداته جعلت من ديوانه بيئة براقة قوامها كلمات أجادت في وصف عري الإنسانية وعهرها.

باختصار، أعاد لوركا في ديوانه هذا ثقتي بالشعر المتر
Eli
I dont often add poetry books to my list. I guess its because poetry books arent read like other types of books. Poems are almost isolated, and I come and go from these books freely, when I need them or want them, instead of being bound by their linear succession of page after page of story.
However, Poet in New York, is very special to me. This is a collection that Ive read through like any other book and Ive read in isolated bits according to the weather and to love and to times of day.
Its beau
Vale
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, spanish
Toni cupi, di morte e solitudine, che nulla hanno a che fare con il Lorca vitale de Libro de Poemas.
E' una New York grottesca, sordida e alienata. Le metafore e le sinestesie si intrecciano così vorticosamente da lasciare sempre meno spazio alla comprensione del lettore. Si sa, la poesia parla per archetipi e forse è proprio questo ciò che ci fa amarla: non doverla sottoporre al microscopio della ragione, eppure stavolta avrei preferito qualche verso meno criptico.
Ode a Walt Whitman è commoven
Deivid León López
Llevaba mucho tiempo con ganas de cogerlo por banda. Al fin lo he hecho y no me arrepiento para nada. Lo único que tengo que decir es que a Lorca no hay que leerlo para dentro, hay que recitarlo, hay que vivirlo, hay que expresarlo con la voz en alto y disfrutar de cada palabra, de cada verso, de cada poema. Porque, en definitiva, eso hay que hacer con toda poesía.

Una gran obra que he terminado casi sin darme cuenta, en la que he disfrutado mucho y en la que he dejado una parte de mí.
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the off-kilter
I love the passion in every syllable of Lorca's poetry, and his insane surrealist imagery -- which makes sense in the most surprising ways. I'm not a super Spanish-linguist but the translation seems to be a good balance of literal and poetic accuracy. The side-by-side translations make it possible to read it how it's supposed to be read and understand it at the same time.
Amy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I didn't realise this was not only a poetry collection, but a select lecture and letters added with it. It was interesting to get context for Lorca's poetry. I found this collection quite dark and isolating. However I was not okay with the Harlem poems. I know this collection is 'of its time' but I still had problems with it.
Jesse
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've always been fascinated by garcía lorca's take on harlem--i wish i could have been a fly on the wall at a couple of those parties where where lorca sang and played piano and basked in the attention of harlem artists--so in love with the admiration and affinity he perceived in his audience.
Tom Meade
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favorites
I don't know that there's much I can say of this book, beyond noting that it's certainly one of the strangest and most terrifying things I've ever read. I think I may finally understand where Jeff Mangum got his ideas from.
Mohamed Awada
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to see Lorca's homosexuality take an explicit form in his poetry (they are quite beautiful poems!).
It was also interesting for me at a personal level to see Lorca's perception of New York City.
Maria
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1,5
La verdad es que pongo dos estrellas porque me da pena. No he entendido nada, mi expresión durante todo el libro fue (?) Pero bueno...
Imen Benyoub
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not for one moment, beautiful old Walt Whitman
have I not seen your beard full of butterflies,
on your corduory shoulders worn away by the moon,
or your virginal Apollo thighs,
or your voice like a column of ash;
beautiful old man like the mist,
who cried like a bird
with its sex pierced by a needle.
enemy of the satyr,
enemy of the vine
and lover of bodies under coarse cloth.
not for one moment, virile beauty
on mountains of coal, billboards, and railroads,
did you dream of being a river and sleeping like a
  • Concerning the Angels
  • La voce a te dovuta: poema
  • Campos de Castilla
  • Poesías castellanas completas
  • Residence on Earth
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Trilce
  • The Collected Poems, 1957-1987
  • The Collected Books
  • Collected Poems of George Oppen
  • Luces de bohemia: Esperpento
  • Réquiem por un campesino español
  • Azul...
Born in Fuente Vaqueros, Granada, Spain, June 5 1898; died near Granada, August 19 1936, García Lorca is one of Spain's most deeply appreciated and highly revered poets and dramatists. His murder by the Nationalists at the start of the Spanish civil war brought sudden international fame, accompanied by an excess of political rhetoric which led a later generation to question his merits; after the i ...more
More about Federico García Lorca...
“Don't ask me any questions. I've seen how things that seek their way find their void instead.” 24 likes
“La aurora de Nueva York tiene
cuatro columnas de cieno
y un huracán de negras palomas
que chapotean las aguas podridas”
1 likes