Start by marking “Running with the Pack” as Want to Read:
Running with the Pack

Running with the Pack (Kitty Norville 0.7)

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Remember the werewolves of classic stories and films, those bloodthirsty monsters that transformed under the full moon, reminding us of the terrible nature that lives within all of us? Today's werewolves are much more suave - and even sexy - and they've moved from British moors to New York City lofts, shaved, and got jobs. But as the tales of these writers will show you, t ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Prime Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Running with the Pack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with the Pack

Carol.
A short story collection centered around a wolf transformation, aligned more closely to horror than urban fantasy. While some are inventive, many read like a short story workshop: "What if you mix werewolf with...?" Some of these are Very Serious Short Stories with Important Life Lessons. (Must outsider always equal woman/native/gay?)

In the spirit of not taking myself too seriously (with apologies to Gail Ambrosia (http://gailambrosius.com/explore-flav...) story by story:

Wild Ride: Hershey's da
Carolyn F.
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anthology. Average rating is 3.52 stars. There were a few I skipped because of violence against children, there were a few stinkers but quite a few good ones so worth the read.

1. Wild ride by Carrie Vaughn. A lonely man finds out he's got a horrible disease and discovers a way to get a cure. Then he has to either live the life that's expected or try to move on. Good story. 3-1/2 stars.

2. Side-Effects May Include by Steve Duffy. A guy breaks his wisdom tooth on a business trip to China and after
Nancy O'Toole
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I don't always get along very well with paranormal short story anthologies. Oftentimes, I pick them up due to an interest in a few of the contributing authors, but find the collection on a whole to be very uneven. This was not the case at all with Ekatrina Sedia's latest anthology, Running with the Pack, which focuses on werewolves. I picked it up due to interest in the stories by Carrie Vaughn, Marie Brennan, and Maria Snyder. What I got was a treasure trove of fantastically writt ...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I bought this one for the Carrie Vaughn story "Wild Ride." However, I've already read that one in Kitty's Greatest Hits. Oops. I was able to get into a few others and they were really good!
Blended (CE Murphy)
Oh how sweet the vengeance! This one was good. Marketa was a pup when her pack was hunted, she was the lone survivor. She was taken in by another werewolf and taught how to blend in as human. So she learns and bides her time. I loved the ending.
Mongrel (Maria V Snyder)
This one was very inter
Hesper
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
The good: most of the stories at least attempt to do more with the beast within genre conventions, albeit in a paint-by-numbers sort of way.

The bad: they don't, for the most part, succeed at being anything more than that.

The ugly: "Side Effects May Include" brims with reinvented Orientalism, while "Take Back the Night" saddles its lesbian character with penis envy, which is then symbolically linked to her new found sense of power as she wolfs out. Yay.

The so dumb it's ridiculous: "The Pack and t
Hilary
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although initially disappointed to discover the very first story was one I'd already read, and not even one of Vaughn's best, I soon got over it. The stories were incredibly varied, and despite normally expecting to dislike a few there was really only one that fell into this category for me. The rest ranged from interesting to excellent, some feeling very real.

Some people might care to know that there are 2 stories which actively involve gay or lesbian relationships, but none of the stories are
Shanna Germain
Aug 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Fave stories:
In Sheep's Clothing, by Molly Tanzer
Giselle, by Susan Palwick
Caeric
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's werewolves. It has a Carrie Vaughn story. You bet I'm going to pick this one up.
A.L. Kaplan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like werewolves, this is the book for you. Lots of great stories. My favorites were BLENDED by C. E Murphy and MONGREL by Maria V. Snyder.
Elizabeth Rose
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was only moved by maybe one or two of the stories in this collection- the rest of them were fairly bland.
Beth
Jan 10, 2017 marked it as dnf
Found this in the library catalogue and thought it looked interesting but I've decided to drop it after only a few stories. I liked the idea of new, interesting takes on werewolves outside what you normally find in urban fantasy and paranormal romance. These are just a little too weird or, in some cases, upsetting for me.

Here are my thoughts on what I did read (with mentions of story elements):

"Wild Ride" - Carrie Vaughn
I liked this one but it left me wondering what the point was. That might j
Jennybeast
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I know I read it years ago, I think I liked it at the time. Not feeling it at the moment, however.
Juushika
Werewolves on motorcycles, in suburbs, locked in the basement; family curses, aquired diseases, accidental side-effectsRunning with the Pack offers up 22 werewolf stories from a variety of modern urban fantasy authors. Those offerings are plentiful and brief, and werewolves are an engaging base premise, and so the collection is more consumable than most short story anthologies. However, few of the stories stand out: there's a number which are decent but forgettable, just as many which are disapp ...more
Marie
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy fans, Werewolf fans
When I pick up an anthology, it's usually for one particular author. There are a few I recognized in this one, but I was most interested in Maria V. Snyder. I wasn't disappointed.

It was by far my favorite story from the lot, and I really enjoyed her character, Mongrel. I would love to read more about this particular character, because she was just so interesting. The story line, once you get past the characters, is pretty standard. Girl meets mysterious guy(or in this case, dog) who pulls her in
Yvensong
I picked this up for free at this year's WorldCon event off of the Freebie table.

Wild Ride by Carrie Vaughn - 4 Stars
Side-Effects May Include by Steve Duffy - 2 Stars
(Odd twist just didn't do it for me)
Comparison of Efficacy Rates... by Marie Brennan - 3 Stars
Werelove by Laura Anne Gilman - 3 Stars
In Sheep's Clothing by Mo
Orrin Grey
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Anthologies are, pretty much without fail, mixed bags, and sometimes they'll work for you more often, and sometimes they'll work for you less often, but it's rare indeed to find one that completely connects with you 100% all the way through. At least, it is if you're me.

Running with the Pack is in that mixed bag category for me, with a bunch of stories that I really liked and a bunch of others that weren't really for me, but I think it's a pretty balanced anthology, that'll probably have a littl
Janine
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
"Wild Ride" - Carrie Vaughn ★★★★
"Side-Effects May Include" - Steve Duffy ★★
"Comparison of Efficacy Rates for Seven Antipathetics as Employed Against Lycanthropes" - Marie Brennan ★★★★
"The Beautiful Gelreesh" - Jeffrey Ford ★★
"The Dire Wolf" - Genevieve Valentine ★★★
"Take Back the Ni
Claire
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
If it hadn't been for a select few of the short stories, I would have given this anthology five stars. Honestly? It's quite possibly the best selection I've ever read, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pieces that had been pulled together. There were a lot of new takes on the shapeshifter/werewolf mythology that I really liked, and so many of the characters were wonderfully written and executed. It started and ended so well, and I might very well re-read this at some point in ...more
Shomeret
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-reviews, fantasy
The rating is the average for the entire anthology. Although there were a number of stories that seemed mediocre to me, there were also several stories that I liked.

"Mongrel" by Maria V. Snyder about a homeless person who takes care of homeless dogs and finds missing dogs was the one that stood out most for me. I would have given that story 4 stars if we could rate individual stories.

I am not particularly a fan of C.E. Murphy, but her historical story "Blended" was the best thing I ever read b
Ronnie Darling
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, this book is an anthology of werewolf stories. Not all are frightening, and not all of them were having some romance in them (thank goodness). There are 22 stories in the book, and some were much better than others of course, but overall, it was a great read, something for everybody. Most of the authors I don't believe I've read before, but all of them included werewolves in their stories, and I'd probably put the book in the Fantasy section, not horror. The good thing about anthologies ...more
A.M. Burns
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
As anthologies go this one wasn't bad. There were some outstanding stories in it. A few that really made me stop and think, also a couple that gave some insight into characters from the individual author series, such as "Wild Ride" by Carrie Vaughn. Other stories were just odd, I found the final story "Gestella" by Susan Palwick disturbing even if it was one of the better second person stories I've read. If you're looking for exposure to some new authors anthologies are a good way to go and this ...more
JP
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this book rather grudingly. I have to admit that I really love Werewolf stories and the assorted, but this book just kept me feeling stupid. Out of maybe 15 stories (I'm not sure right now, because I can't look it up) I probably liked 3. The others left me either bewildered, grossed out or annoyed.

Some stories where just plain weird as they didn't have a real storyline and were just mumblings from the main character who thinks everyone is stupid. Guess I'm just not cut out for these stori
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf, fantasy, anthology
It wasn't my favorite anthology - not as fun as Zombies vs Unicorns, Dark and Stormy Knights or Must Love Hellhounds. I liked some of the stories: Carrie Vaughn (how TJ became a werewolf), NK Jemisin (Little Red's son), CE Murphy (unique take on finding a mate and revenge), Maria V Snyder (probably my favorite story of a homeless woman and her pack). Also, a few new authors (for me) that I'll keep an eye on: Mike Resnick, Geoffrey Goodwin and Amanda Downum.
A lot of the stories are on the more se
Kate
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Kathy
Ony Fam
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I hated this book, I thought I would never be that harsh judging a book, I had to ignore most of it just to be able to put an end to it and I don't even feel bad about doing that, now what makes this book bearable
Wild Ride by Carrie Vaughn
Blended by C.E. Murphy
Locked Doors by Stephanie Burgis
Werelove by Laura Anne Gilman
The Dire Wolf by Genevieve Valentine
Mongrel by Maria V. Snyder
Red Riding Hood's Child by N.K Jemsin.
Marisella
This is a wonderful set of short stories, much better than I had anticipated. There were new and interesting twists on an old legend. Some of these are so good that I'm hoping they're turned into novellas and/or expanded on. As always in a book of shorts, some were better than others, but there was only one that made me yawn and go on to the next one. I will definitely be looking for more from these authors authors
Colleen
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you are looking for happy endings, avoid this book. It is far more gritty and real than I was expecting. There is a lot of good insight into the darker shadows of humanity from many different perspectives, and in another mood I'm sure this book would have gotten a higher rating. Unfortunately, I was looking for entertainment of a lighter sort. The last story ends on a *very* sour note for me, turned my stomach, and ended up haunting me even during other conversations.
Molly
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I like short stories, so this was a fun sampling of different werewolf tales. However, I found most of these stories to be only so-so good. One I just skipped after reading a page or two and two of them kept me awake after I finished reading them at bedtime (maybe a bad idea?), not even for gory reasons, but because of disturbing ideas. But on the whole it was an interesting book to read and some of the stories were pretty fun.
Lori Schiele
Running with the Pack is a book of 25 short stories all based around werewolves written by authors like Carrie Vaughn, CE Murphy and Laura Anne Gilman. Unfortunately, I didn't find any of them outstanding. Some of them were good, but nothing remarkable. I was actually disappointed. Out of 25 stories, you would think at least a few would make the book worth its cost, but unfortunately this one wasn't.
  • Full Moon City
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Witches: Wicked, Wild & Wonderful
  • Kitty's Greatest Hits (Kitty Norville)
  • The Way of the Wizard
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • Ivy Cole and the Moon
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Wolfbreed (Wolfbreed, #1)
  • The Were-Wolf
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • Bitten by Moonlight
  • The Fair Folk
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
Ekaterina Sedia is also credited as E. Sedia.
More about Ekaterina Sedia...

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)
“You could not choose where your heart went. You could only suffer the consequences.” 0 likes