Start by marking “The Essential Agatha Christie Stories: Agatha Christie's Best Sleuths Crack Twenty Famous Cases.” as Want to Read:

Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and a host of other sleuths crack cases of all stripes in this exciting collection of Agatha Christie short-story mysteries.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 8th 2009 by AudioGO

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Agatha Christie Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Agatha Christie Stories

Start your review of The Essential Agatha Christie Stories: Agatha Christie's Best Sleuths Crack Twenty Famous Cases.
Katie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I listened to the audiobook and wished often for less annoying narrators. A few were good, but more were pretty awful, especially the actress who voiced Miss Marple. She has speech impediment which should have impeded her from voicing my favorite old lady. I generally really like Agatha Christie mysteries, but here I've learned I prefer the longer format as opposed to these shorts. This collection has rather too much Hercule Poirot and not enough Miss Marple for my taste.
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just love mysteries.
Amy Zupancic
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, dnf
Although I did not read (rather, listen to) all 20 of the short stories in this collection, I listened to 12 of them. Having only read one Agatha Christie book prior to listening to these stories, I was eager to be able to hear 20 different mysteries when I checked out this collection from the library after waiting for it for over a month. (Yes, there was a waiting list for it!) Although I enjoyed some of the stories more than others, I was left with an overall feeling of "well, that was just ok ...more
Jennifer Spriggs
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate her story telling ability. Without all the filth of some writers.
Meredith
What's in the fine print of the title is these are the best of short stories, not all of her stories.

Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Hercule Poirot, narrated by Hugh Fraser
Poirot's curiosity is raised when an elderly man's eating habits change before he is found dead.

I enjoyed the story. Its structure works for it to be a short story. Plus, Hugh Fraser is my favorite Poirot narrator.

Unfortunately I returned it before getting all the title and readers written down. Overall I liked them. I was surpris
M
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love Agatha Christie....and she has such a plethora of stories! My fav narrators were Hugh Fraser and David Suchet. Jane in Search of a Job was my choice for best story......
Jaret
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
This was a collection of what the editor believed were Agatha Christie's best stories. For the most part, I agreed. The stories were chosen based on interesting characters and/or plot twists. As with any anthology some stories were better than others. Thanks to these stories I was finally introduced to Mr. Harley Quin. Not all of the mysteries involved crime or murder so that made it fun as well. I liked the variety of stories that the editor chose. The best part of the audiobook were the narrat ...more
George Scully
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I checked "read" but it really was "listened to".

I loved it.

I could have done with less Ms. Marple and with MORE Hercule Poirot but, all in all, I highly recommend you find this and give it a listen. The collection gives you a real flavor for Agatha Christie, her times, and her command of the written word.

Give it a listen.
Marlee
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great stories! A couple weren't quite as engaging as others, but most were great. A couple of the readers could have been better as well. Most of the stories were so good that once one got into it, it didn't matter who the reader was.
Aprile
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to this as an audiobook and I loved David Suchet and Hugh Frasiers readings of the stories, I did not enjoy Joan Hickson's readings very much. Though she is a great actress, her reading was very monotone and I found myself tuning out of the stories.
Becky
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Unequivocally the best mystery writer of all time....in my opinion. I listened to these stories realizing I had read most of them long ago, probably in high school. Some I recalled, others long forgotten but they remain so timeless.
Cat.
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wow, some of these were really really dated, and some of the people reading them were abominable (Miss Marple lisps?? I don't think so).

On the other hand, it was low-impact listening for the car.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Listened to most of it. The one reader for the Miss Marple stories is awful--her lisp is very distracting.
Judy Sim
Jun 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • 21 Great Stories
  • The Book of Secret Wisdom: The Prophetic Record of Human Destiny and Evolution
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Heiress of Linn Hagh (Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1)
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Behind the Scenes: Or, Thirty Years a Slave, and Four Years in the White House
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • Girl in the Blue Coat
  • The Fight (Drama High, #1)
  • Time After Time
  • The Secret Book of Dzyan: Unveiling the Hidden Truth about the Oldest Manuscript in the World and Its Divine Authors
  • The Crossover
  • Codename Villanelle (Killing Eve, #1)
  • Murder by Misrule (Francis Bacon Mystery #1)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t