Start by marking “Shyness: What It Is, What To Do About It” as Want to Read:
Shyness: What It Is, What To Do About It

Shyness: What It Is, What To Do About It

Dr. Philip G. Zimbardo's ground-breaking studies have found that there are more than 84 million shy people in America today, including such "secretly shy" celebrities as Carol Burnett, Barbara Walters, and Johnny Carson.

In this best-selling book, Dr. Zimbardo analyzes shyness with a personal understanding of the emotions involved. He then presents advice, exercises, and e
Published January 22nd 1990 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Shyness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shyness

Carol
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extraordinarily popular book by noted psychologist Philip Zimbardo (of the student "prisoner" experiments and the introductory psychology textbook). I would have given it four or five stars when it first came out. It is still eminently readable as a self-help book but its scientific and theoretical basis is quite dated. Dr. Zimbardo, in the 1970's, developed a questionnaire that he administered to thousands of people worldwide began a self-help program for self-described "shy" student ...more
Mela
This book was priceless for me. I was very shy (I am still a little) and this book helped me very much.
Geri
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book was a godsend and literally changed my life! I read the earlier version of it back in the '80s. I was painfully shy as a child & teenager. I read the book, did the exercises & followed Zimbardo's recommendations. I was able to deal with my shyness. I won't say I completely overcame it because it seems to lurk in the back of my mind, but I still use the skills I learned whenever I feel shyness getting in the way of my perceptions of myself & my life. Because of this book, I ...more
Федор Кривов
Слушал в аудиоформате, поэтому заметок не делал. В целом, полезное закрепление имеющихся знаний в области психологии.

Не принимать отказ как неприязнь лично к себе, искать причины в другом.
Застенчивые люди нарциссичны, чрезмерно сфокусированы на себе, поэтому не слышат многое из того, что говорят им другие.
Чаще хвалить, реже ругать, особенно детей.
Разделять человека и его поведение, критиковать не человека, а поведение.
Активное слушание, задавать вопросы, уточнять.
Alireza
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I became tempted to read this book after Dr. Zimbardo connected the prisoner-guard relationship in the Stanford Prison Experiment to the outer-inner self. In Lucifer Effect, he proposed that our subconscious-self may be playing the role of a correctional officer that criticizes us for every private thought, permanently paralyzing us in the time for taking actions and making us obedient to its authority in judgment and decision, which in turn leads to a condition known as shyness!

Even though the
Sergey Grinev
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Как научиться наслаждаться жизнью
Chris Tempel
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
[rambling, partial take] i like the idea of an expert-- not someone afflicted with the disease, but attached to it nonetheless (professionally, in this case)-- giving critical thoughts on shyness. ive spent decades trying to embrace it, live in it, justify it, find some artistic, social, or literary merit to it but when the day is done I too want it to just go away. the merits: it has sometimes helped me find friends that are less status-seeking, more into books, more thoughtful, less into the d ...more
Amani Haak
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains the best information to understand and overcome shyness. I think it is a must read for all who suffer from shyness.
Sarah Elma'Alawy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Arlen
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who's ever been shy or knows someone who's shy, social psychologists
I am a big fan of Dr. Philip Zimbardo since having read The Lucifer Effect , and this book, while not as grand or up-to-date in scope, is a good reminder of the way society functions and how we, as individuals, function in it. The initial reason for me picking it up, besides having loved his other book, was because I feel shyness as a French speaker, and needed something to trigger the skills I've been good at most of my life into re-emerging in a foreign tongue and society. Now a little out of ...more
Agnes097
Po książkę sięgnęłam z polecenia przyjaciela. Autora już znam, więc nie obawiałam się, czy będzie wystarczająco pomocny. Spodziewałam się, że zrozumiem możliwie całe zagadnienie i liczyłam, że będzie sposób dla mnie, żeby radzić sobie z nieśmiałością. Czy było tak? Było. Sposoby są, okazuje się, że część z nich sama można powiedzieć, że praktykowałam i nakładałam na siebie przedtem.
Książka otworzyła mi oczy na kilka ważnych aspektów, jakich nie dostrzegałam przedtem, a teraz będę miała na uwadze
Shyanne Diaz
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a bit outdated; one chapter refers to calling the phone operator to get your foot in the door with talking to people. It stood out and made me smile. There is also outdated research. But if you look past the fact of the book being old, one will benefit with reading this book. I am a shy person because of the recent situations I find myself in. This book has helped me realize just that: people who are shy are not unworthy people, just people struggling to get through a point in their ...more
Valerie
I think this is the book I read, except I remember the edition having a green background.

In common with most self-help books, this book is very good at delineating a problem; not so good with solutions. It doesn't help to tell shy people they've just got to pull up their socks (what socks?) and be more assertive. As with most social conditions, there're the usual number of people who really haven't examined their situation. But most shy people are introspective by nature, and they know very well
Valeria Vozzheva
Мне кажется "застенчивость" не совсем корректное слово, однако, не могу подобрать более приемлемый вариант. Понравилось множество интересных примеров, подкрепленных статистическими данными; неожиданные, порой пугающие истории и их разбор.

Вторая часть книги - рекомендации по борьбе с "застенчивостью". Некоторые из них вызывают легкое недоумение... Возможно, вот так, прочитав эту книгу, некоторые персоны с непрокачанными социальными скилами и становятся крипами :)
Jenny
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I had the old version, which was published in 1977. The examples were very dated and used quotes from 70's movie stars. Perhaps the new version would be better. Still, a pretty good book. After reading this, I decided that, for the most part, I quit being shy about 10 years ago. I am going to quit calling myself shy.
Dan Richter
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Wer ist nur für dieses grässliche Cover verantwortlich! Das Buch ist viel mehr ein populärwissenschaftliches Buch zum Thema Schüchternheit als ein reines Selbsthilfebuch.
Zimbardo führt hier im Grunde seine Forschung zum Thema Gefangenschaft, die mit dem berühmten Stanford-Experiment nicht begonnen haben und auch nicht endeten, fort. Und nun geht es eben um die Gefangenschaft in sich selbst.
Stark
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I was intrigued by the fact that the man who conducted the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment had written it. Yup shyness is but another form of prison but more importantly I am reminded to work the idiomatic verb phrase "to lay a trip on [someone]" much, much more often.
Gina
Dec 27, 2007 rated it liked it
I found this book interesting and I don't regret reading it, however, I think it was more clinically written than I expected, I thought it would be more of a parenting book. Regardless, there were some interesting pieces of information in this book.
Susan
Apr 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
The book was very helpful for me and my thinking towards people who deal with shyness (a lot of people do).
Sandra
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm overcoming shyness!
Really interesting how people get shy sometimes. I'm a blushing person, so that's one thing I still need to deal with, but it isn't going to be a problem.
Janice
Feb 24, 2019
Michelle
Dec 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma
  • Courage in Patience
  • Healing Through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • Exuberance: The Passion for Life
  • Almost a Psychopath: Do I (or Does Someone I Know) Have a Problem with Manipulation and Lack of Empathy?
  • Acts of War: Behavior of Men in Battle
  • Graceful Exits: How Great Beings Die: Death Stories of Hindu, Tibetan Buddhist, and Zen Masters
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Chess Rumble
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
  • The Mythic Journey: Use Myths, Fairy Tales, and Folklore to Explain Life's Mysteries
  • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures
Dr. Philip George Zimbardo is an American psychologist and a professor emeritus at Stanford University. He is president of the Heroic Imagination Project. He is known for his Stanford prison study, and authorship of various introductory psychology books and textbooks for college students, including The Lucifer Effect and The Time Paradox.