Start by marking “Spinning in the Old Way: How (and Why) to Make Your Own Yarn with a High-Whorl Handspindle” as Want to Read:

Knitters discover the pleasure and satisfaction of spinning their own yarns. This title guides readers in the fast-track, low-cost, high-quality approach to spinning.
Published May 1st 2006 by Nomad Press (CO)

To ask other readers questions about Spinning in the Old Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spinning in the Old Way

Anki
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
There's a lot of good information on hand spindling to be found in this book, but at times I found the author's insistence that a high-whorl spindle is the best of all possible spindles to be a bit frustrating. Not surprising--the book's subtitle makes it clear the focus of the text will be on high-whorl spindles--but still a bit frustrating.

The illustrations contained within this book are, without exception, drawings. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, it can make a book less accessible
Araminta Matthews
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a practical guide for spinning with a top whirl spindle, this book is thorough and useful. If that were the whole of my expectations for this book, the star rating would be a four. My review, however, is a solid two for two key reasons and both are related to expectations that are hinted at by the description and failed in delivery.

First, it should be noted that I already am a proficient spinner of wool using both the top and bottom whorl spindle. For that reason, I can attest personally to h
Andrew
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although focused on the high- or top-whorl spindle, this helpful book contains information that would be useful to any beginning spindler. The layout of the Kindle edition is a little confusing - headers and pull quotes seem to be scattered randomly through the main text - but that doesn't detract much from the information.
Meagan Condon
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-spinning
Priscilla Gibson-Roberts is an excellent instructor and is knowledgeable about the topic of high-whorl spinning. Her descriptions are clear and concise and the illustrations, though basic, do a good job to explain the process of spinning. This book is a great resource for an individual who has no access to an in-person instructor.
Chris
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-design
A solid reference for high-whorl spindle spinning.
Katharine
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craftiness, nonfic, 2010
I'm really becoming a fan of Priscilla Gibson-Roberts's straightforward, no-nonsense, yet personal and approachable style. I loved her book on knitting socks, and found Spinning in the Old Way even better. She gives step-by-step instruction for practicing the motions of spinning with a spindle, which finally gave me enough confidence to actually TRY it. But only after converting my low-whorl spindle to a high-whorl following her very opinionated advice on spindles (I just added a hook at what ...more
Ruth Ann
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought a drop spindle earlier this year at the Farm Show and had about ten minutes of instruction. I promptly put the spindle away to concentrate on revamping and moving our church website to another platform. Fast forward to fall and the interest in using my spindle became stronger. I watched a few online videos, but really felt I needed a beginner's book for reference. This was the book that I found in our library and it was available as a Kindle release. I immediately bought the book becaus ...more
Rachel
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handwork
I liked this book, although I didn't like how adamant she is that high-whorl spindles are THE spindle to use... I've enjoyed experimenting with low-whorls and have read other people's opinions on the subject... Anyway, at least she says a few times (both about that and other spinning techniques) that it's her opinion and not the only "correct" way to spin with a spindle.

Overall, there's a lot of good information about spindle spinning. Most of the information is stuff I've read about before, but
Ermabom
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It has a good combination of technique and history. She is very adamant that the high whorl spindle has advantages over a low whorl but makes it clear that this is her opinion and others have different ones.

I am anxious to try out the techniques and see if her tips help my spindling.

HelenFey
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber
The author's voice is strong and opinionated, yet opens the door for you to experiment and disagree. The instructions are clear, as are the illustrations. The history is inspiring.One of the best how-to/basic instruction books I have ever read. I like to teach myself from books so there have been a few.
Tina
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spinning
A truly wonderful and detailed description of using a high whorl spindle. This book has been an enormous help as I've been learning to spin.
r.b
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Extremely helpful resource book. Learned the basics of spinning on a top-whorl spindle in just a couple of days.
Audrey
May 08, 2011 added it
stopped reading for now.
Susan
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening book for me. I assumed spindles were for people interested in historical reenactment. This book turned my head. Fascinating history of spindling plus good advice for a beginner like me.
Sandra
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: New spindlers
I liked this book a lot, and learned a bit of history around handspindling around the world.
Martine
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spin
Essential guide for drop spindles
Melanie
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spinning
Inspirational. As I'm reading this book, I'm also becoming more proficient with my spindling and feeling a very deep connection to an ancient web of women.
Janis
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spinning
Excellent introduction to spinning, especially for drop-spindling. I need to add this to my library.
Alisa Kester
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book; very helpful!
Heather