Start by marking “Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters” as Want to Read:
Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters

Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters

A comprehensive guide to traditional and ethnic knitting skills. It presents fifteen sweater shapes and teaches color and texture techniques.
Published November 1st 2005 by Nomad Press (VT) (first published June 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting in the Old Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting in the Old Way

Alexis
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Take my review with a grain of salt, because I didn't actually use the patterns which comprised probably half of the book. I got this from the library, so next time I *do* make a sweater, perhaps I'll get it again, we'll see.

That said, it was really interesting to learn more about the history of knitting worldwide and specifically sweater construction's history. Yes, it has a history! I was surprised to learn that clothing/shirts/tunics was traditionally knit in the round (for some reason I tho
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intermediate and advanced knitters
The techniques in this book are easily understandable to those who use Elizabeth Zimmermann's percentage system. The information and history lessons are priceless. Anyone learning to knit should read this after Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes.

I will use this book as a reference in designing my own patterns.
Susana789
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tak toto ma naopak zaujalo aj napriek absolútne marketingovo "out" forme. Len kresby bez fotografií, čo môže byť výhoda pre pokročilejších a technicky pripravených jedincov a nevýhoda pre tých, ktorí to ešte nemajú v očiach a v rukách. Sú to základy, mnohé postupy sú na webe už rozpracované smerom viac k súčasných trendom, ale pre tých, ktorí sa chytili na vlnu pletených produktov tradičného typu (Aran a podobne) je výborné východisko.
Lisa
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for a knitter
Raven
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Gibson-Roberts's inviting voice introduces the reader to many beautiful sweater traditions from around the world. This book is by necessity a broad introduction. However it is an excellent stepping stone that identifies the many sweater styles that a knitter may encounter and by its concise descriptions intrigues the reader into wanting more. This isn't a beginner's book. It is for an adventurous knitter with a bit of experience below her belt and a desire to know more.
Cayenne
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! This is going to be my go-to book for knitting from now on. How freeing to be able to knit sweaters from my head instead of trying to figure out someone else's pattern all the time. I'm sure I'll still knit from patterns, but to have an alternate option is fabulous. Very empowering. I loved the historical aspect of the sweater options as well. So interesting.
Karen
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters wanting to move away from patterns, people interested in historical knitting
Shelves: knittingbooks
Really interesting stuff! There are designs/shapes of sweaters from all sorts of historical periods, along with "plans" - not really patterns per se - for making some yourself. I had been planning to make my mom something out of here, but her recent illness didn't allow me to get her measurements. I'd still like to do that, though...
Debbie
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needle-crafts
This book is a history lesson in knitting. If you are looking for a collection of patterns neatly laid out, this book may not be for you. However, if you're looking to understand why and how we knit today, and are interested in learning new construction techniques, this is the book. I love this book!
Audra
Jul 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Very overrated; don't waste your money.
Amberjean
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, needlework
Simply the best catalog of basic sweater shapes and how to design based on them. A super technical manual.
Anita
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Received it in the mail today for my birthday!
Liz
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
History of knitting. Euro-centric.
Ali
really want to read this in-depth!
Sheila
Great reference on traditional sweater shapes and designs.
Danielle
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, knitting
simple ways to construct patterns, old knitting techniques
Mariah Plumlee
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
People after my own heart.
Mckinley
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Drawback in black and white.
Dec 08, 2009 added it

• Victorian Lace Today
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Lace Style
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Knitter's handbook