Start by marking “Transgression” as Want to Read:
Transgression

Transgression

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
How can love survive a brutal time?

In 1946 in North America, a child makes a grisly find in a deserted field—a discovery that opens a shuttered window on a secret dating back to the beginning of the turbulent decade.

In 1941 in occupied France, Adele Georges's fruitless attempts to learn the whereabouts of her father, captured by the Nazis, lead her to a lonely young German
Published September 22nd 2009 by Harper Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Transgression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgression

Lorri
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
The violation of a law, the violation of a duty, are both definitions of the word “transgression“. In the book, Transgression: A Novel of Love and War, by James Nichol, those prime examples of defining the meaning of the word “transgression” are vividly brush stroked with Nichol’s word paintings.

Set during World War II and postwar, the historical aspect of the novel is fascinating, and the story line evokes mystery and intrigue as well. It is a story primarily of war and love, and the confines o
Megan
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library with five other books. I get a lot of books at the library, will start, and if it's good will read the whole book. If not, I'll quit 20 pages in.

It has two stories - one follows a French girl in 1941 trying to discover if her father was killed fighting the Germans. She meets a German soldier trying to find her father and a relationship begins. The other story follows a detective who is trying to figure out why a finger ends up in a rural farm in Cananda, 1946. Th
Bree
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
A compelling story of young love and war. I'm not usually a fan of men writing in the voice of women, but Nichol creates a rich character in Adele. He weaves two complex plots in disparate times and places, and brings them to a crescendo. This book stayed on my mind the 3 days it took me to read it.

My two critiques are that the choppiness of Jack's segments, while they convey his frame of mind, also lead to a distancing of the reader from his character. This particularly noticeable because of h
Jan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
Oh this book... I'll admit that for half of this novel, I skimmed most of it. The Jack and crime-solving portion of the book just seemed boring to me. I don't know if it's because I didn't become emotionally involved with this portion or what. Even the actual crime-solving stuff just made me sigh and try to move along to the Adele portions faster.

The Adele parts, however, were packed with emotion. Seeing what this woman went through because of her choice of love just made my eyes tear up and my
Shawn
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At first when I started this novel about a young French woman who is living during the occupation of France during WWII, I was annoyed, as every other chapter it started telling a story about a man that is found murdered in Canada 3 years later. The two conflicting stories were hard to wrap your brain around at first, as there was so much going on in each story and I wanted to remember each detail, as I knew they must come together at some point....

That said, as I got used to it, both stories b
Chrissy
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous novel! I purchased this 2nd hand from an online auction and what a find. The novel is two stories in one - that of Jack, a small town police chief in 1946 Canada who is called to investigate a finger found in a field, and of Adele, a young french girl in a war torn French village who meets and falls in love with a young German clerk. The two stories weave and dance together before coming to a crescendo at the final pages of the book.
I could completely empathize with Adele and my
Karen
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual Story

I really enjoyed this book. It began with two seemingly unrelated story lines that were four years apart; one in France and one in Canada. As we become acquainted with the characters the interval between the two story shortens. Near the end of the book, the time line as well as the story line merge.
I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual treatment of a murder mystery combined with two love stories.
;
Srinivas
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved reading Adele's story. It was written really well, and kept me hooked all the way to the end.

Was really really bored with Jack's story...skimmed through most of it, actually skipping through some parts.

The ending was managed well though, and brought both the stories together, to a fitting conclusion.
Jaime
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and read it in just about 2 days. It is a romance, but not unbelievably so. The chapters alternate between focusing on characters in France (early 40s) and characters in Canada (mid 40s). It was pretty easy to see how the two were going to come together, but the end took me slightly by surprise. It was very enjoyable seeing how the two stories ended up working together.
Deborah Denny
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, an older one that should be featured again on the bookshelves! It brings a different slant to the horrors of war, including a love story that ends back in Canada with a local murder.
Sas
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I seem to be on a roll with books depicting the horrors of World War II, While I like "Those Who Save Us better, this definitely held my attention. A love story set in Nazi occupied France between a young french girl and a German soldier. Yes, doomed from the start.
Mandy
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful love story in such an ugly time. This book brings you right into the lives of it's characters and shows you what it was like to be in the time of war. Cover to cover I read this and passed it on to all my favorite readers who also loved it.
Marietjie Steyn
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sjoe, dit was 'n goeie storie! Ek kan nie glo dat so min mense die boek gelees het nie. Regtig die moeite werd. Die Tweede Wêreld Oorlog en nadraai daarvan was baie interessant: Wat gebeur as vyande vriende en selfs geliefdes raak...
Kelli
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my second book of 2014 and it was a good one. Crime and mystery are not usually my favorite genre, but this book had me hooked from the start. A forbidden love in France and a murder in Canada collide but its not until the end of the book that the reader finds out how and why.
Benjamin baschinsky
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book, captures war torn France, and love between a German soldier and a woman from Rouen.
Also brings skillfully a murder in Canada in 1946, I am awaiting to see how the author binds them together.
Katrina Evangelista
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've always liked how the author narrated Adele's perspective.
A very strong yet innocent portrayal of the main character.
The storyline makes you feel nostalgic and warm inside.
Andy Felt
Great historical fiction about WWII. I was drawn in and couldn't put it down.
Catherine
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was sad and hopeful and tragic at times. In the end I realized that all the characters lives were affected by the war, yet in very different ways. Definite recommend.
Barbara Schrenk
Spannend waren die historischen Hintergründe, die Geschichte selber eher nicht so umwerfend.
Noelle Mikkelsen
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thought this book was terrific. Historical fiction, mystery, love story....well-written.
Joyce Findlay
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think it was a great read. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.
Jill
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent - very complex and moving plot!
Jodi
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one! Skillfully written and quite suspenseful. I couldn't put it down - finished it in 3 sittings.
Nathalie Melvin
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent story!
Anne Walbridge
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Amateurish
Lucia
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning - from the first page to the last - READ IT!
Amy
I really wanted to like this book, but it bounced around too much and I couldn't get a sense of anyone because the time jumps happened too quickly.
Johanna
  • House of Ghosts
  • Gratitude
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • A Thousand Suns
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Beside a Burning Sea
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Island Madness
  • Beautiful Maria of My Soul
  • The Marrowbone Marble Company
  • Mussolini: His Part In My Downfall  (War Memoirs, #4)
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Devil's Dream
  • Siege of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates, #3)
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika
James W. Nichol has been a prominent playwright in Canada since 1970. Midnight Cab was inspired by his immensely popular radio drama of the same name, broadcast on CBC in thirty-five half-hour episodes. He lives in the country near Stratford, Ontario. Midnight Cab won the Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel and was shortlisted for the CCWA Gold Dagger. He is currently working on a second novel ...more