Start by marking “Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)

Everwild (Skinjacker #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  10,135 Ratings  ·  786 Reviews
Everlost, the limbo land of dead children, is at war. Nick the “Chocolate Ogre” wants to help the children of Everlost reach the light at the end of the tunnel. Mary Hightower, self-proclaimed queen of lost children and dangerous fanatic, is determined to keep Everlost’s children trapped within its limbo for all eternity. Traveling in the memory of the Hindenburg, Mary is ...more
Audio CD
Published November 10th 2009 by Brilliance Audio on CD

To ask other readers questions about Everwild, please sign up.

Val Veglia This book has made me more interested in the series then before, now with 2 books down and 1 more to go, I am enthusiastic about finally discovering…moreThis book has made me more interested in the series then before, now with 2 books down and 1 more to go, I am enthusiastic about finally discovering what happens. I am happy with how this book ended however, on a cliff hanger, only making me more inpatient for Everwild. Everlost and Everfound are one of my favorite books am very glad I chose this series. (less)

Will M.
Not all books suffer the dreaded second book curse. Most of the time, especially in YA series/trilogies, the second book will always be the most dreaded one. Shusterman managed to create a terrific novel. A great successor to Everlost.

The novel continues with three different voices. We have Mary, Allie, and Nick. Naturally we tend to have favorites when it comes to novels with different voices, and I also have my own in this novel. I liked Allie's adventure more because I'm really interested wit
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Ohhh my gosh. I don't even know where to begin! Neal Shusterman is basically an amazing genius. I'm surprised he's not more famous. I've seen more people reading Unwind recently, which is good. I hope more people keep reading his books, because they are AWESOME! Unwind is definitely his best, and I don't know if he can ever write anything as shocking and powerful, but Everwild is the closest he's gotten so far.

But before I get to my review of Everwild specifically, I just want to point out the r
Amy
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of a planned trilogy, EVERWILD picks up a unspecified (but probably short) time after Everlost ends. And wow...I thought EVERLOST was good, but EVERLOST blows it out of the water in every way, shape, and form possible... A sequel that was better than the first!

EVERWILD continues the story of Allie and Nick, but their stories diverge as they pursue separate goals; Allie sets off with Mikey to find her parents in hopes that she might put her spirit to rest, while Nick finds himself agai
Thomas
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is now my favorite book. Ever. I think I need a good night's sleep before I can begin to describe it.

Okay, now I think I’m ready for this.
Everwild is the most phenomenal book I have ever read. Shusterman has successfully combined the most original plot, the highest level of writing, and the greatest characters into one terrific story. If your opinion of a book is easily swayed by others' opinions or reviews, I would stop reading this review right now. Pick up a copy of Everlost, the fi
Lynn
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can tell that Neal Shusterman studied psychology in college. He does such a good job with his characters, diving into ethics and the morality of kids at different ages/stages. He doesn't write stereotypical, cliched or 2-D "bad" guys. He makes them human and often shows you how they went down the roads they do. He also dives into the "good" guys and shows us their mistakes too, making sure things are never black and white. He can turn a situation on a dime, surprising both his readers and I ...more
Sigurweissen
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me firstly say that I do not like how Nick has turned out since the end of “Everlost”. Secondly, I still firmly believe that Mary is a witch, and I really hope that instead of coming to Everlost once again she actually goes down the tunnel.

Lastly, I was entirely far too angry that Zinnia is not part of Everlost anymore. In “Everlost” I grew very fond of Lief. In “Everwild” I grew very fond of Zinnia. Both times the characters have been put out. It’s beginning to get annoying.

Because I dislik
Tammie
This series is very inventive! I thought Everwild was even better than Everlost. Neil Shusterman has created a world that is full of wonder and disturbing events, sprinkled with just the right amount of humor. It's written in such a sweet, innocent way, that the disturbing things some of the characters do seem to creep up on you, and are all the more shocking because of it. I can’t wait to read the next book.
Sarri
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tämä trilogia vie minulta yöunet, kun en malta laskea näitä käsistäni. Everwild oli jopa vielä parempi kuin Everlost, vaikka oli huomattavasti synkempi. Edelleenkään kirjassa ei juuri ole väkivaltaa, vaikka pelottavan uhka on koko ajan läsnä ja juoni on kynsiäpureskeltavan jännittävä.

Näissä kirjoissa kuvataan elämää kuoleman jälkeen, sitä kuinka jotkut kuolleet palaavat kukin tavallaan elävien joukkoon ja sitä, kuinka Everlostin lapset pärjäävät, kukin tavallaan, elämän ja kuoleman välimaastoss
Amanda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everwild continues the story of young Nick (also known as the Chocolate Ogre) and Allie the Outcast, two children who died in a car accident but instead of passing over to the next life, they became trapped in an eerie in-between known only as Everlost. In Everlost, children's souls, called Afterlights, wander the world in search of purpose and leadership while watching the living world continue around them in a blur.

Since Nick's defeat of Mary Hightower in Everlost, Mary has decided to strength
C.P. Cabaniss
This novel was just as fascinating as the first. It's well written and has an intriguing world. We get answers about skinjackers and what they can do as well as why, we meet a ripper who can not only pull things from the living world but put them back.

Nick still has the most development to me. Allie was a bit annoying in parts, but I really enjoyed her developing along the way. Mary is even more creepy than before and reading about her just fives me shivers.

The ending of this left us with plent
Anabel
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He tardado más en leer este libro porque he tenido que hacer muchas cosas y no he tenido tiempo, además de acabar otro antes. Desde luego las páginas se me pasaban volando, el autor ha conseguido meterme otra vez en el mundo de Everlost y disfrutarlo. Los personajes antiguos y los nuevos me han seguido encantando. Quizás me han chirríado un poco la parte romántica, que ha sido un parte muy secundaria de la historia. Con un ritmo frenético este libro me ha gustado mucho, y me ha dejado con muchas ...more
Allison
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping, incredible sequel to Everlost and an extremely worthy middle novel that broadens the scope of Shusterman's afterlife world to epic proportions.

The characters of the first book are scattered now, each group with its own mission. Mary Hightower has become the Sky Witch, scouring Everlost for the souls of children to "save." Nick, immortalized as the Chocolate Ogre, fights against the consuming memory of chocolate in order to oppose everything Mary stands for, hoping to save Afterlight
Joanne
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-urban-fantasy
I loved it! I cannot tell you just how mind blowing the plot of Everwild is! Despite the obvious detail in the blurb, there were so many things that happened in this book that would literally have me gawping at the book. Everwild is written in the same style as Everlost, which I can only describe as sweet, so there is nothing graphic or too violent that actually happens in the book, which I think just makes these bombshells even more surprising!

There were moments in this book when I was close to
kari
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011
This second book in the trilogy picks up a few months after the first ends and the action is much more fast paced this time around. There are several threads running through and various viewpoints, but the shifting focus works fine, isn't confusing or hard to know who's doing what.
I liked how the characters continue to grow and change, some not so much for the better.
This book starts making the reader think more about right and wrong and questioning if it is okay to do something wrong if your in
Jodi
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully, my rating of Everwild should hover somewhere between "It was OK" and "I Liked It." While it was a good read, for me, it really didn't live up to the previous installment of the Skinjacker series. We were certainly introduced to a whole slew of new characters, and we also learned a little something about some of our Everlost characters, which I enjoyed. However, this story just didn't seem to have the same heart as Everlost.
I liked how Shusterman began the book with Mary's tips for n
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get nervous to read the second book in a series even more so if I enjoyed the first book. Because with book two its either going to be really good or really bad. But with the case for Neal's second book in the Skinjacker series it was really good. Book two might even be better than book one. It had a lot more action in it which allowed the book to keep moving and not slow down as much as the first book.

Something I really enjoy about Neal's books is that his characters are developing throughou
Sesana
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I absolutely loved Everlost, the first book in this series. So when this one was merely ok, it was a big disappointment to me. I do want to say first of all that Shusterman's writing is still very good, just that this book didn't hit the right chords for me.

There's an awful lot of story threads being juggled, for one. Which means that I would no sooner than get settled into a plot before the narrative would switch to another one. And I found myself significantly less attached to the characters t
Randy
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: launch-vehicle
Part 2 of a trilogy...my wife met the author at an English teacher's conference in Orlando, FL...he autographed her books. I enjoy books with unique perspectives and this one rates at the top with The Golden Compass trilogy. What makes it most appealing is that it delves into the human afterlife where there are those who wish to keep the souls who arrive there and those who set them free to enter the next phase of afterlife...all of the characters are children with the potential to be Lolitas bu ...more
Irene
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña: http://mipequeniomundoalreves.blogspo...

Everwild es tan maravilloso como su predecesor, con sus toques infantiles y al mismo tiempo siniestros, deja unas ganas inmensas de terminar la saga. Si no te has animado a leer estos libros, ¡no dudes en hacerlo! Te llevarás una muy grata sorpresa, con un mundo maravillosamente escrito y completamente original.
Tish
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, this is what I had been expecting from Everlost, the first book in the Skinjacker series. The characters all seemed more interesting and complex and there was a lot more depth to the story, with questions of life, death, whether the end justifies the means, etc. The plot just seemed better, too, answering enough questions to be satisfying, but leaving the reader hungering for the next book.
Dan
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I'm speechless because of the epilogue! This book was even better than the first one. It picks up a short time (3 years I think?) after the first book. This book was so hard to put down because of the interesting plot, well-written characters that makes me so happy, sad, angry, furious and the vivid description of the Everlost world. I can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy!
Malyk
Neal Shusterman’s “Everwild” is both an amazing and interesting adaption to his previous book “Everlost”. Following the main characters (The ones left at least), Allie and Nick, we get to see just how each individual goes about their life in “Limbo” and continues on in their quest to find what's most important: answers. Now this quest brings them to undiscovered territory in Everlost, known as the everwilds, where each character parts ways in an unexpected journey that neither expects. Nick, onc ...more
Erika
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allie and Nick have been in Everlost for a few years. Like everything else that fails to get to where it’s going, they’ve settled in an unpredictable routine that’s become more like a mission. Their days are not consumed by tedious repetition or useless patterns Mary Queen of Snots would approve of. Allie and Nick have long-term goals. The dynamics differ for each, but in the end all Allie wants is to find her home; Nick wants to destroy Mary Hightower. Left to her own extreme ideas of what’s re ...more
Mart
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Добре, мислех да пиша на английски, но някак си ме мързи да мисля и затова просто ще пробвам така.
Та, за пореден път се чудя защо толкова малко хора оценяват Нийл Шустърман като великолепния автор, който всъщност е. Вярно е, че първата книга от поредицата не ме впечатли особено - тя беше по-скоро нещо като интересна идея, която обаче ми се стори насочена прекалено много към по-млада аудитория, т.е. малко детска за моя вкус. Но. Ето, че след прочитането на втората книга мога да заявя отново, че
Lena
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah, this took me forever to read. Not because it was bad or boring, but work got in the way, so there just wasn't enough time to pick up a book. Most of the time I was too tired anyway. Loved it though :) The characters are everything!
Duffy Pratt
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
On Reread - Not much to add to my original review below. I can't decided whether I am blessed or cursed with a terrible memory. I only read this a year and a half ago, and so much of the detail was gone that it was almost like reading it for the first time.

In the first review, I didn't mention the climax at Graceland. There are certain places where Everlost and the living world merge, and Graceland is one of them. It has the effect of exaggerating the traits of those who come near to this "vorte
Amanda
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I haven't been so excited to read a sequel since Harry Potter.

While there's nothing necessarily mind-blowing about the writing itself, I can see how much Shusterman has improved from the first book. The POV was handled, in my opinion, seamlessly. At no time did I become conscious of the writing to the point that I was distracted from the plot. I was engrossed. Granted, I really wanted to read this book. So was I predisposed to overlook any possible flaws? Absolutely.

Still, I
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Stars

Everlost is the place where sticks and stones won’t break your bones but names can always hurt you. It is also where things that were once loved and are destroyed in the real world might find themselves almost like an echo.

I enjoyed Everlost but Everwild drew me into this w
Gunne
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in awe, once again, of Shusterman's effortless writing and endless stream of imagination. Where does he get his ideas? It's hard not to be biased, seeing how he's one of my favourite YA fiction authors, but here he's proven himself again with Everwild, the second of the Skinjacker Trilogy.

I began this book apprehensive - because its hard to find sequels that match the prowess of the first, and also because I stumbled across some negative reviews about it - but Everwild is for lack of a bet
Madison Mega-Mara...: Everwild 1 8 Jun 10, 2013 06:24PM
Skinjacker Trilogy : Everwild {#2} 1 10 Aug 23, 2012 11:33AM
  • Goat Girls (Weetzie Bat, #2-3)
  • My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • Goldstrike
  • A Web of Air (Fever Crumb, #2)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • Death Sentence (Escape from Furnace, #3)
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2)
  • Draw the Dark
  • The Black (Morpheus Road, #2)
  • Wizard's Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1-2)
  • All Good Children
  • Saga (Epic #2)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • The Painted Boy
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...

Skinjacker (3 books)
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)

“Heaven might shine bright, but so do flames.” 53 likes
“Great tragedies have great consequences. They ripple through the fabric of this world and the next. When the loss is too great for either world to bear, Everlost absorbs the shock, like a cushion between the two.” 35 likes