Start by marking “Erotic Poems” as Want to Read:
Erotic Poems

Erotic Poems

E. E. Cummings’s erotic poems and drawings gathered in a single volume.

Many years ago the prodigious and famously prolific E. E. Cummings sat in his study writing and thinking about sex. His private brooding gave way to poems and drawings of sexual and romantic love that delight and provoke. Here, collected for this first time in a single volume, are those erotic poems an

Published February 8th 2010 by Liveright (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Erotic Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Erotic Poems

Ariel
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Read this on the plane (which I don't really recommend because it's hard to hide the sexy drawings from your onlooking travellers) back to Canada (which I'm literally still sitting on waiting to escape into the snowy Christmas air) and enjoyed it because I enjoy Cummings but only found two poems I really liked (and even then no new favourites) but it's interesting to read poetry from such a famous poet on such a taboo subject.
Robin
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, american
This collection will be appreciated and loved by anyone who enjoys the poetry of e.e. cummings. I have long adored his poetry and have been stirred by his gorgeous musings, and these love poems are no exception. This collection also includes lovely sketches by the poet himself.

Just this:

or if sometime she nakedly invite
him all her nakedness deeply to win
her flesh is like all the cellos of night
against the morning's single violin

or this:

may i feel said he
(i'll squeal said she
just once said he)
it'
Courtney Johnston
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, poetry
No-one makes you feel quite as good about being a woman as E.E. Cummings. But I'm not sure that isolating out his 'erotic' poems from his others adds to their enjoyment.

This collection brings together about 50 poems - including my favourite poem-with-less-than-20-characters:

n w

men who praise

Marj's cleancornered strokable
body these men's
fingers toss trunks
shuffle sacks spin kegs they

curl

these men'
Mike
Jul 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fuck you, Cummings
Here are some words: mucous
mud worms hole
big ol' thighs
and let's avoid punct
Uation because hey it's worked for us so far
(despite its tortured preciousness)
and throw in some more ()
which look sort of like boobies
so score

Eh Marj? O
yes dearie
and as erotic as a fart
to the nuts
AMERICA
Sotiria
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένας από τους αγαπημένους μου ερωτικούς ποιητές! Όσες φορές και αν διαβάσω τα ποιήματά του δεν τα χορταίνω! Καθένα από αυτά μια πανδαισία αισθήσεων (ακόμα και οπτικών)! Το αγαπημένου μου είναι σίγουρα το May I feel ... ΔΙΑΒΑΣΤΕ ΤΟ και θα με θυμηθείτε!
lorinbocol
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
e. e. cummings però è stato tradotto molto meglio che non in questo libro.
mary de rachewiltz, figlia di ezra pound (qualcosa i cromosomi vorranno dire) l'ha fatto così:
I like my body when it is with your
I like my body when it is with your
body. it is something so new.
muscles better and nerves more.
I love your body. I like what he does,
and the like. I like to hear her spine
dorsal, his bones and the flickering
-flat-hard I kiss
yet again and again
you like kissing this and that,
I like, slowly stroking
Cărți și călătorii
Mie E.E. Cummings îmi place de ceva vreme, așa că am fost tare fericită când am văzut ediția bilingvă de la Editura Art, în traducerea lui Dan Sociu. M-am delectat cu ele într-o singură seară, dar sunt sigură că o să revin la ele oricând o să mai am chef de poezie. Mi-am și notat câteva preferate. Traducerea mi s-a părut reușită, nu e ușor să traduci poezie, în general, și versurile lui Cummings, cu aranjamentul lor ciudat în pagină, în special.
B.E.L.L.A.Mc
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delicious. Nothing heavy. Pure luciousness, even when bordering on crudity. The drawings are wonderful too, and all Cummings own. He certainly has a curious surname, considering the content; very apropos lol. What a writer; what a man.
Janet
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A gift from my guy--what could be better! I love these poems, but had never seen them collected together before--each classic cummings volume usually contains a handful. Love how the man is bluntly explicit and yet soars, and tickles, and whispers, he sings his appreciation of a whore or an exquisite tender passion for a wife, each in her own specific way, celebrating her and her-and-him honestly. A less romantic collection than Neruda's 20 Love Songs and a Song of Despair-- the nature of the re ...more
Caleb
Jan 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: from-my-loulou
( ° ʖ ° ) ...more
Redgie
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not the best collection of his work, but it did have a few of my favorites
S.
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This book exists simply as a marketing ploy for valentine's day. If you like ee cummings, it is sure that you already have his Complete Poems, and the only reason someone would be foolish enough to cough up $13 for this instead of the Complete (&superior) Poems is because they're hard up for a valentine's day present. Really. They do this with Anne Sexton, too (Love Poems). Truly, this is way too narrow a collection for cummings' fans, or anyone who likes poetry.

The poems get plenty of stars
Brigitte
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: 2015
What the fuck.... No. Just no.
I was so excited for this book because Tom Hiddleston read a poem that I'm in love with. These poems were annoying and such a let down. The entire book, I loved one poem. Maybe it went over my head, maybe it's just my preference, I don't care. I didn't enjoy this collection of ee cummings' poetry.

brought allofher tremB
-ling
to a :dead.

stand-
;Still)

WHY?!
I know it's supposed to be all "appealing to the eye" but it wasn't.

n w
ss

Ughhhhh! Just STOP.
Gina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This one isn't easy to read in public because of the graphic drawings accompanying most poems. I did like the drawings, by the way. What I did discover is that e. e. cummings isn't my favorite poet. Maybe I was reading too much into each and every phrase, but I just didn't "get" many of them. Mind you, I love almost any erotic writing. I decided to continue admiring the drawings and his unique and compelling formats. Those two things I appreciate much more than the actual poems.
2.5 Stars
Jill Collins
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Many poems I've read before but I also found a couple new. I'm not certain it was worth culling his work into an "erotic" collection but for the price, I don't feel put out. There are images throughout, drawn by the man himself, very Matisse.

I once had a professor tell me she became a nun because she never found a man like Atticus Finch. Only E. E. Cummings will ever ignite such furor in my heart.
Charlotte Coley
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not really to sure why I loved this book so much, I think that I just have a deep appreciation for E.E. Cummings work in general. I love poetry and (maybe it's because this is the first collection of his poetry I read) this was relatable without actually being relatable at all. He just has this way with words that makes you able to read to book in one sitting, I loved it.
Maria K.
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absoutely brilliant. Gorgeous pictures too.
Erika
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cummings is one of the few poets whose work wholly humbles me every time. Usually, it is a mixture of (1) me having to read the poems multiple times to make sure I understand them (and even then...) and (2) a reverence for his irreverant (and that's a good thing here) manipulation of the English language. He takes a subject as arguably cut-and-dried as sex and conveys in stylized detail the honest romp--not only of the act being portrayed, but in his shuffling around of parts of speech to say th ...more
Jim Sanderson
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This slender book is, I think, intended to be brought along for a pleasant afternoon with one's lover. It's concise, easy to share, and slender enough to not get in the way. Seriously, this is all meant to be read aloud - have fun rendering cummings's visual work into a spoken piece. If the idea of reading poetry to and with your lover doesn't appeal to either of you, this is not for you. Also, I think that you're both really missing out...
Magpie67
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
April is National Poetry month, so why not read a book full of sexy poems. This is definitely a book to set beside the bed on the night table. "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, now what I mean."

"May I Feel Said He"

May I feel said he
(I'll squeal said she
just once said he)
it's fun said she.

(Try listening to Tom Hiddleston reading this poem.... Oh. My. Word.)
Alberteinsteinmaloney

you're killing me
Khara
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I bought this book for the poem "May I Feel Said He." It is one of my favorite poems, if not my very favorite. Great collection for those who love E.E. Cummings' work.

Cade Miller
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is sexier than sex AKA it's marvelous!
Dory Stipetic
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love his work!
Kelsey
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brilliant, as always.
Allison 🌷
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
There are many good poems in this book although I didn't not understand many words and grammar choices throughout the book.
Jeffe Kennedy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting collection, with a wide variety of poetic styles and levels of erotic intensity - from deepy sensual to snarky. An excellent way to study sensuality in language.
Maria
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a superb collection of Cummings' top erotic poems, and the illustrations that accompany the poem are a nice addition. This is one of those books I could read over and over.
Dan Butterfass
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great drawings!
Brooke
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
His drawings really complete the essence of this book of erotic poetry.
  • The Wasteland & Four Quartets
  • Extravagaria
  • Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth
  • Blue Iris: Poems and Essays
  • A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • The Best American Poetry 2015
  • Man and Camel
  • The Smell of Good Mud
  • The Best American Poetry 2008 (Best American Poetry)
  • Pink Elephant
  • The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea: Poems
  • Ego-Tripping and Other Poems for Young People
  • Songs of Kabir
  • Thrall
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
“Lady, i will touch you with my mind. Touch you and touch and touch until you give me suddenly a smile, shyly obscene (lady i will touch you with my mind.)Touch you, that is all, lightly and you utterly will become with infinite ease the poem which i do not write.” 5 likes