Start by marking “Star Trek: Countdown” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Countdown

Star Trek: Countdown (Star Trek Graphic Novels)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,465 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
The explosive return of Star Trek has rocked movie theaters worldwide, and IDW's exclusive movie prequel comic Countdown - now available in a limited edition hardcover - is the perfect accompaniment for fans of the film.
Published October 27th 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Maria
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I'm a fan of Star Trek - the original, the 90's, and the new. So, keep that in mind. This graphic novel is a prequel to the new film series started by JJ Abrams. It explores how the villain of the movie, Nero, becomes the deranged sociopath we meet. Personally, I would watch the film first then read this graphic novel. It'll have more meaning and allow you to experience the film as intended.

We are back in a time with Spock, Picard, Worf, Data, and some others. We follow these favorite ch
Ann
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans!
Recommended to Ann by: Thanks for the birthday gift, Katie! LL&P!
Okay, I was expecting this to be fun, interesting, and a sort of "fill-in-the-gaps" to the movie (not that there were really gaps in the movie, just loads to take in during one sitting - I loved the movie, btw, if that helps;>). What I wasn't expecting was to be um... *totally* enraptured, glued to the pages, and thinking about the story when I wasn't reading it! I feel so embarrassed that I was SO addicted to it - but it was awesome! :)

You don't need to have seen the new film to read this, b
Kathryn
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the 2009 ST film
Recommended to Kathryn by: Ann and Abigail
Since I am in "Countdown" mode waiting for the DVD release (LOVED the whole experience of seeing it in the theaters over the summer!!!), I decided to read this over the weekend after rave reviews from my sister and a GoodReads friend. Thank you so much, Abigail, for your great review! I would probably have overlooked this for a piece of promotional fluff had it not been for your high opinion of it, and thank you, Ann, for loaning me your copy! ;-)

I am not accustomed to reading graphic novels, so
Sath
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies and fans of Star Trek 2009 movie
This is is a collection of the 4 comics that are a prequel to the 2009 Star Trek movie.

The series is set 8 years after the end of Nemesis. Relationships between Romulans and the Federation are the best they've ever been, and Spock is now the official Federation Ambassador to Romulus. Picard is also now a Federation Ambassador. Data has successfully integrated his personality into the B-4 android, and is now Captain of the Enterprise-E.

Spock confronts Romulans with the news that the Hobus Star i
Mike
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Countdown provides a good backstory for the 2009 Star Trek movie, if you enjoyed the film you'll likely enjoy this as well. Some of the story was explained in the movie but there are a couple other new revelations as well, with more to come in Star Trek: Nero I'm sure. This book by itself works as a self-contained story but I'd probably stick with watching the movie first then going back to read the prequel.
Aubrey Hansen
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have discovered a new universe. Comic books. I mean, I realized this universe existed, but I did not realize they had Star Trek.

THEY ARE MAKING COMICS BASED OFF OF THE NEW MOVIES. SO LIKE THE CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE THE ACTORS. IS THAT NOT COOL OR WHAT.

Yeah, I think I proved to the comic store owner that I'm a Spock-obsessed movie geek. And also an idiot that doesn't know a thing about comics. But I'll educate myself, because if the success of this venture is any indication, I'll enjoy the comic
Rae
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, time-travel
If you like comics or graphic novels, read this book. If you are a Trekkie, read this book. If you want to understand more of the backstory behind the 2009 Star Trek movie, read this book. If you...well, you get the idea...just read this book!

I hadn't been too much of a Trekkie before I saw the 2009 movie, but then I saw it, and it all went downhill from there. Now my friends have to listen to me spout gibberish about the differences between a class A and a class M planet, among other things. B
Lauren Stoolfire
Set immediately before the 2009 movie, this graphic novel ties the new films to the past in more ways than one. I loved seeing Spock, Picard, Data, Geordi LaForge, and Worf all together!
Jeff Lanter
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a big fan of the most recent Star Trek movie, I got excited when I found out there were graphic novels that tied into the movie. I purchased all three tie-ins and will review each in order, but I read Countdown first since it was written as a prequel to the movie itself. This graphic novel focuses on how Nero turned into a villain and how Spock became so involved with the events of the movie. The backstory is fantastic and really increased my appreciation for the film. While this is perhaps a ...more
Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: my boyfriend
Shelves: comics, own
I have no background in Star Trek other than my boyfriend sitting me down to suffer through The Wrath of Kahn. I bought this comic for his birthday due to his increasing excitement for the upcoming movie and he finally convinced me to read it. I like comics. I was going to see the movie. Why not?

I find Spock to be a very intriguing character and this comic book created additional depth for the movie (which is pretty much crazy awesome), both to the plot of the story as well as the character's ba
Emily
Solid. Kind of SWEp.3 meets Danny Boyle's Sunshine plot-wise. I liked that it featured my favorite Star Trek characters (minus DS9, of course) and ignored the rest. One part that was notably out of voice, though, was Geordi saying "Amen." Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall him ever using such language on the show.
Melissa
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a prelude to the 2009 movie and is a must have. The art is beautiful and the story is compelling. You also get to see what many other the Star Trek: The Next Generations characters are up too after the movies have finished. ^^
David
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel rocked! It is a prequel to last year's STAR TREK film. Set in the 24th century, it features several of the The Next Generation characters in a story that sets the stage for Nero and Spock's fateful return to the 23rd century. A must-read companion for any fan of the movie.
Cyndi
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I've been a fan of Star Trek since I took flight with Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock in the 60's. So, of course I loved this!
Michael
While it's not necessary that you read this before seeing the new "Star Trek" film, this four-part storyline will give the on-screen story a bit more depth and background.
Jesse A
This was fine. Not outstanding but still pretty good.
Samantha
I began reading this and then left it on a train by accident! But I really like what I've read so far and look forward to finishing some day!
Richard Eyres
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks_2017
This is the first issue of the Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection from Eaglemoss. Did not see it in the listing, so decided to record against this one.

I enjoyed this and i believe it brings a lot of light to the story of the first 'new' Star Trek film. While Nero went off the edge a little TOO fast, i put this down to the length of the comic series, and the need to get a story out there. I like how it explained in more detail about the Red Matter and why Nero had such a hatred for Spock and Vulc
Louisa Jenness
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good, but I'm not much of a comic book reader, so I don't have much of a base of reference. The book is in two parts: the first is a four part series about the events leading up to the 2009 JJ Abrams reboot movie, and the second is the first Star Trek comic ever published which was short and interesting to read since there were a lot of inconsistencies with the show (there was a little background on why there were so many inconsistencies right before the comic).
Maggie
I don't remember the movie too well, but this is the perfect prequel to the Star Trek reboot. What's great is that it helps tie in the original Trekverse with the reboot.
Drew Rettig
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly enjoyed the book. I recommend it.
Chris
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good! Reunites well-loved iconic characters from TNG and gives more depth to the character of Nero from the Star Trek film reboot. And the writing is really quite good.
Snowfire
May 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a decent movie tie-in that answers some unresolved hooks satisfactorily. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel that it doesn't stand on its own that well. There are also a plethora of minor nitpicks of assorted severity. It's a bit short, and possibly could have stood to be even shorter? Not sure. Interesting, at least, and it is good to see some of the TNG cast getting to do some things (even if some of the cameos were a bit forced- see below on Worf, especially).

**SPOILERS AHOY**

OVERALL PLO
Andrew Beet
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked reading this it was good to find out about the character of Nero as the character's backstory was not explained in the 2009 movie at least this book filled in the gaps and it was a very quick book to read
Giovanni Gelati
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I a total geek, a Trekkie, I think not. I saw this and just had to read it. I saw the Star Trek movie in 2009 with Chris Pine & company and really enjoyed it as did many other people. The bad guy Nero, played by Eric Bana, intrigued me and I had many questions left unanswered by the movie, this official prequel graphic novel took care of all of them for me, from a to z, and then some.
Here is a little bit from the afterword “We didn’t expect to ever feel the same anticipation again, but pe
Matt Thomas
Travis McClain
This is a prequel to the forthcoming motion picture, Star Trek. In case you might be wholly unfamiliar with the Trek canon, allow me to put it this way. In the 1960s, they made the TV show Star Trek featuring characters like Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. This series was set in the 23rd Century. There were a lot of spin-off TV series, starting with Star Trek: The Next Generation, which began in 1987. It featured characters like Captain Picard and Data, and was set in the 24th Century, by which time ...more
Aaron
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel, which actually came out about the time the most recent movie was premiering is sort of like a prequel to the movie. Set in the future (the 24th century) with the familiar faces of the Enterprise-D crew, the story shows how fate brought on a head-to head confrontation between Nero and Spock.

Nero is a simple Romulan minor who captains a vessel in the home system of the Romulan Star Empire. At the beginning of the tale, his ship is damaged when the system's star begins to die, t
Rob
**NOTE, this review contains spoilers if you haven't seen the companion film**

While still entertaining, STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN, the prequel to Abram's STAR TREK (2009), is mediocre and (frankly) a little unnecessary. The story surrounds the destruction of Romulus and Nero's transformation from a mild-mannered miner to a ruthless, vengeance-driven war criminal.

There are two major problems with the story:

(1) Much, if not most, of the material in the book is already covered in the movie during Spock
Taran Miller
The book Star Trek countdown by Roberto orci and Alex kurtzman is about adventure in space and action set also set in space and other planets this book is intended for mature children like ones in middle school.

the Romulas empire soon to be in peril because of a supernova. When a ship of Romulan people discover the super nova and when the star explodes the miners go to the Vulcan planet to get help to save their planet. When the Romulans get there they tell them what is happening and Spock, who
  • Spock Reflections
  • Star Trek: Nero
  • Star Trek
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy, #1)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • All Good Things...
  • Turnaround (Star Trek: New Frontier #16.5)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)

Star Trek Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Star Trek: Nero