Start by marking “Church Signs Across America” as Want to Read:
Church Signs Across America

Church Signs Across America

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Church Signs Across America celebrates the wit, charm, and verse of church signs from every state in the U.S. At the same time reverent and witty, these signs offer fascinating glimpses into American life that are variously humorous, inspirational, kitschy, and kind?and occasionally all those things at once. After finding their inspiration for the book during a road trip f ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Overlook Books

To ask other readers questions about Church Signs Across America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church Signs Across America

Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book thinking I would mock and laugh at backwards church signs. Some signs were laughable but many had wisdom and a fresh ideas on faith.
Melissa
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time I lived by a church sign. I will never forget one message that was posted in the summer, "You think it is hot here?" More recently, I was singing along to the song "I want to know what love is" on my way to work. Just as that line came up I passed another church sign that said "God is Love." Church signs are great!

This book has a few really good messages too. It is all pictures of churches with a picture of the sign below it. It took about 10 minutes to get through.
Shannon
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy reading the church signs as much as I'd hoped -- they tended to be poorly punctuated, poorly spelled, theologically iffy, and/or cliché -- but I did like seeing the pictures of the church buildings alongside the signs. I found it interesting that despite the variety of architecture, most of the buildings looked familiar, like some other church building I've seen.
Bree
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-08
Ever since I spied the "Don't Let the Hearse Be Your First Trip to Church" sign in Spring, TX, this Jewish gal has been hooked on funny church signs. Some are amusing, some are inspirational, and some are just... churchy. For more fun, check out http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/
Angela
I especially enjoyed that these photos were taken all across America. I was surprised to find this is not a Midwest or Bible Belt phenomenon.
Evan
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Church signs can be so hilarious!
George Shubin
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
There's not much reading to this book. It's basically a collection of interesting or amusing church signs. It's a pleasant enough coffeetable book.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
An entertaining read! Canada has some funny church signs, but nothing really to this degree!
Rebekka Hindbo
I expected all the Church signs to be funny, so I was a bit disappointet but there were some really great ones in there!
Jason Allen
rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2011