Start by marking “Poems (Little Blue Book 32)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Edgar Allan Poe

Poems (Little Blue Book 32)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  509 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A collection of the poems by the famous American writer.

Al Araaf --
To F-SS. O-D --
Fairy-land --
For Annie --
"Happiest day, the happi
Published 1924 by Haldeman-Julius Company (first published 1831)

To ask other readers questions about Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems

Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This edition by Dover Publications recreates the 1900 Endymion editions.  Poe is mostly known for his short stories, but his poetry is an important part of his work.  This edition goes beyond "The Raven", "The Bells", and "Annabel Lee".  Some poems seem out of place. Two of his poems "Al Aaraaf" and "Israfel" seem out of place for an American poet of the nineteenth century.  "Al Aaraaf" is based on stories from the Koran and influenced by the 1572 supernova discovered by Tycho Brahe.  Israfel is ...more
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's the end of an era.

I've had this book on my currently-reading shelf since October 25, 2008. I've been "currently reading" this book longer than two of my children have existed.

I have some rules when it comes to goodreads - if I don't finish a book, I don't review it. I often see one-star reviews that say, "Uggg... I couldn't make it through the first paragraph." I think that means the reviewer is giving the first paragraph one star... not the entire book.

If I stop reading a book, I take it o
Eliana Rivero
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El cuervo y Annabel Lee son de los poemas más hermosos que he leído. Siempre vale la pena volver a leerlos.
Briana Alzola
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Poe since high school and I am remembering how much I love his writing. He can have such an impact in so few words. Some poems I didn't like but some I loved.
Heba TariQ
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
But my heart it is brighter
Than all of the many
Stars in the sky.
Tath Ashcraft
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I know - father of detective story, father of the mystery sub-genre, short story genius... the list probably goes even further... But I loved best, as I have always suspected Poe himself did, the poetry. And while he laments that time and tide never allowed him to fully explore his poetic expression... nevertheless it was enough for me.
The Conqueror Worm, Alone... not his most famous perhaps, but certainly the tenor and template of my youthful days.
If you only know Poe from his other work
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with so many Poe works, my review is thus: meh.
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...todo mudo,
todo en calma,
todo en sueño,
menos tú y yo..."
Navy heart HamlinNBCT
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ever walk the darkened shades of Providence's East Side or sit in the silhouette of a candlelight vigil to scribe with death-Only than can you ignite the eerie lover of velvet midnight . Edgar Allen Poe will forever more be a darkened presence upon the midnight hours epitaphs -
Walk your imagination into his midst ...
As Ole Poe's Chamber maiden greetings awaken the fading memories of 1800's
A laced glove
Lights the gas...
"Kind sir....Ye master's gone
Till Sunset
His Victorian mansion welcomes you
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
I tried listening to an Audible download of an Edgar Allan Poe poetry collection several years ago and almost completely failed to get into his writing. When this similar poetry collection was offered as the free daily ForgottenBooks download in September, I thought I should give Poe another chance. His work is so popular worldwide that there must be some essence I had missed.

I am pleased that I did get on better with written Poe poetry than spoken. Being able to revisit lines and ideas definite
I want to be Honest as I can about Poetry I enjoy them but I and like a lot of readers out there I dont read enough of them the only Poem I know about Edgar Allan Poe is his creepy Poem the Raven as that is the Poem most used and qouted and I enjoyed rereading it. I must confess I struggle in reading and understanding poetry at the best of times and I thought that this collection of Poems were pretty dark and creepy I wouldnt recomend to start with this collection if you are starting out as his ...more
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Dios! No me puedo considerar la mayor fan de Poe, pero sus historias/poemas me encanta, no soy una experta en poesía y tal vez algunos no los he logrado entender por completo, pero creo que todo el mundo debería leer alguna vez en su vida a Poe, ya sean sus historias o sus poemas. No le doy 5 estrellas al libro porque sentí que me faltó algo tal vez una conclusión por parte del traductor, su opinión o algo por el estilo aunque si aprecio su prólogo y sus notas acerca de algunos de los poemas.
Pau Nolis
Molt bona edició ja que ens exposa el poema en idioma original a la plana esquerra i la traducció a la derta. Hi ha rimes i aritmètiques molt difícls d'aconseguir en traduccions, inclús impossibles segons explica Carlos Obligado traductor dels poemes. En aquest llibre a més podem trobar anàlisis i demés explicacions de com l'autor va desenvolupar el poema i/o moment històric. "The Raven" és el més famós del poeta americà, i deu ser perquè l'entramat de rimes i armònics que amaga el poema fa que ...more
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
This was a re-read for me of an illustrated version of the author's poetry works, which contain two of my favorite all-time poems, The Raven and especially Alone. How do you critique poetry? I dunno. It's not my favored form of communication, but when I like it, I really like it. And I do I like Poe's stuff, although I'm not always in the mood for it, especially the overly dramatic, romanticized parts. Still, I recommend reading at least a few of his poems if you've never done so.
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some poems are just genius, others I just don't appreciate as much. I mainly bought it because I really liked the poem that was featured in Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare (LOVE HER!!) and I wanted to read more from him.
The edition is also nice, the font of the text is a bit dated but I think it gives a certain classic look to the book that I like.
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poesia
Adoro leer a Edgar Allan Poe, sobre todo lo que es volver a leer a Annabel Lee, El cuervo y Leonor los cuales se convirtierón en mis favoritos.

Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amo el cuervo
Chloe Weber
It's sad, it's macabre, it's tragic, it's morosely romantic, it's Poe.
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these are fun.
Georgi Kolarov
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, although Umberto Eco said it is just a technique -- put inside a beautiful dead young woman and you get all nostalgic mood.
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it
I believe my extent of reading Poe, was required reading in college English. I loved many of the poems in this collection, including but not limited to The Raven & The Village Street.
Jesus Sanchez
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sublime :3
Franco  Santos
Muchos poemas no los entendí, pero otros son increíbles...
Oct 30, 2016
Nov 26, 2016
Anca Rotaru
Sep 09, 2015
May 04, 2012
  • The Edge of Normal (Kindle Single)
  • The Barrack-Room Ballads and Other Verses
  • Cecelia and Fanny: The Remarkable Friendship Between an Escaped Slave and Her Former Mistress
  • Selected Poems
  • Now We Are Sick: An Anthology of Nasty Verse
  • The Complete Poems of John Keats
  • Sightseeing
  • The Seven Against Thebes
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Where the good and the bad and the worst and the best have gone to their eternal rest.” 69 likes
“in discourse, the lovers whiled away         The night that waned and waned and brought no day.         They fell: for Heaven to them no hope imparts         Who hear not for the beating of their hearts.” 0 likes