Start by marking “Guerrilla Marketing for Writers: 100 No-Cost, Low-Cost Weapons for Selling Your Work” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Because the battle begins before a book even hits the selves, an author needs every weapon to get ahead of the competition. Guerrilla Marketing for Writers is packed with proven insights and advice, it details 100 “Classified secrets” that will help authors sell their work before and after it’s published. This life range of weapons-practical low-cost and no-cost marketing ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Morgan James Publishing (first published November 1st 2000)

Wm
This book was published in 2001. I saw it on the shelf at the library and decided to check it out to see how much things had changed since then. My interest in book marketing and publicity is mostly theoretical and I work in public relations so I found much of it boring or lame or over-stated. But on the whole, I think the authors' basic points about how wannabe authors should approach book marketing and publicity are good and still hold true. Even if many of the tactics they list are now out-of ...more
Chrys Fey
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good tips for fiction and nonfiction writers on marketing online and offline.
Renee
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
As a fiction writer, I give it 2 stars for helpfulness; for those promoting a nonfiction work, though, I'd bump it up to 3. The ideas are sound, but tainted with a salesman's optimism; although marketing oneself requires a certain deluded zeal, it's cruel to imply (for example) that booksellers will happily create window displays for a random book. As a bookseller, I can tell you no, they will not, and you're far better served guerrilla marketing online (or better, working on your next book).

Ev
Mark Carter
Mar 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was horrible. It has over 290 pages and gave me exactly 2 new ideas which I could not think of myself. The writers have very inaccurate assumptions about exactly how much a publisher is willing to work with a new writer and how little negotiation power the new writer has. They repeatedly suggest that you attempt to negotiate things which no publisher will negotiate with a new writer and therefore place you at risk of looking unprofessional. They suggest you ask the publisher to print y ...more
Victoria Hay
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've never been nuts about this book. Some years ago I bought a copy. Recently, a colleague raved about it and so, having tossed out the first one, I bought a second copy.

It seems to me that about 80% of the suggestions in here are self-evident.

* Write a decent book, one with some qualities that appeal to readers.
* Use the last page of your book to urge readers to visit your website.
* Register a domain name for a series as soon as you think of it; don't wait till someone else claims it.
* Create
Wes Locher
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who are preparing to publish a book
Because I had a book that was soon to be published, I starting picking up and consuming as much information as I could regarding book marketing. This was the first book I grabbed (on a long list) and read the majority of it during a flight.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is some good information in these pages and I picked up a couple of good tips, however, this book makes a dangerous assumption: It assumes that you know over a thousand people that you can easily tell about your book, and thus th
Travis Neighbor Ward
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Authors looking to expand their marketing platform
A Great Power Tool for Authors Building a Platform

This book is a fantastic resource for authors look to market their work while not losing their sense of soul. I read the paperback version and really enjoyed the format and structure. The authors are offering ideas that work well in the modern world, although it was written in 2010 so they haven't included explanation of how to do some of the most up-to-date on-line tactics. (This is why I gave it four stars instead of five.) Regardless, it reall
Mark Major
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Guerrilla Marketing for Writers is a very useful book. The authors pursue a comprehensive and broad approach about marketing for writers. They cover a lot of ground. They are upfront about this but, on occasion, some readers (especially inexperienced writers) will wish for a little more detail about how to precisely pursue some strategies and a little less cheer-leading, "just do it" motivational snippets (especially with regards to the closely-guarded walls of the New York publishing world). Ha ...more
Brendan O'Meara
To no fault of their own, this book is dated. It was written 11 years ago so it doesn't include the importance of Twitter, Facebook, and blogging. Email and websites are their flagship technologies (vital to today, but not cutting edge). I'm sure future editions of this book will include that and it will be a 5-star read.

There are tremendous insights to this book and if I had had this a year ago I might be whistling a different tune in terms of my own book promotion. I can't do anything about t
Joy Farrington
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing-books
Guerrilla Marketing for Writers takes the best of Guerrilla Marketing practices (along with some new ones) that authors can use to help sell their books. Levinson and friends includes 100 no, low, medium, and high price marketing tools that any writer can use to help create a marketing plan. This book is a great idea generator for authors seeking to promote their books with little to no cost and I highly recommend this book along with the other Guerrilla Marketing titles to anyone who is doing t ...more
Elisabeth Davies
This is an excellent resource for any author who wants to successfully market their book. Guerrilla Marketing For Writers is packed with effective 'how to' tips that help the author establish who to market to and how. It gives detailed instructions on how to write a press release, develop a media kit and stay on track with getting your book in the hand of your reader audience!
I still refer to it for new marketing ideas :)
Jon
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for people who are considering writing, who are newly published or have been published and are struggling to sell their books.

A lot of great ideas that can be utilized by anyone. Some of the ideas would only be effective for books with traditional publishers, but most of them can be used by anyone at some level, and the resource list is very extensive and valuable.

There are quite a few errors that the editor missed, but none that make the book difficult to read.
Natalie Weber
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If being a successful self-publisher is all about marketing, then this book is what every self-publisher needs! With 100 ideas gleaned from years of experience, there is no want of creative approaches for anyone willing to invest the time and energy into promoting their book. Now that I’m getting closer to the release date for Pajama School, I think I need to get my own copy of this book and re-read it! Read my full review here: http://www.journeytoselfpublishing.co...
Martha Johnson
I have a version/edition from early 2000's so the advice isn't quite right when it comes to social networking and the like. The other material is good, all about nailing your pitch, your press kit and the like. It's nice to have 100 points, so you can check off which ones make sense and feel as if you have covered some of the basis. I'm marketing my self-published novel, however, and after a point their advice runs out of gas for me.
Jim Rossi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid book. Some of this advice gets into near-quackery territory as far as how formulaic & tiresome it is to prospective readers of your book when everyone with a book out does it that way. But overall, 80-90% of what's in here is really valuable to me, and it's a valued resource as I finish my first book, The Case of the Cleantech Con Artist: A True Vegas Tale.
Glenn Rolfe
Would probably be a terrific book for people who are completely clueless as to how to market themselves and their books. This one is definitely geared toward helping non-fiction/self-help books and their authors. If you are a fiction writer I'd suggest browsing through this over a couple coffees while at the bookstore.
K.S.R.
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is self publishing
Shelves: business
Self publishing takes long, hard work. This is the one book that has helped make sense of the whole process for me. I keep checking it out of the library so i can make detailed notes, which I try pretty hard to follow. I hope that if there is anyone out there that loves to read and write -- and wants to get their writing out there, that you will benefit from this book as I have.
Nili Levine
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book full of good ideas to work with both before and after you write and publish your book! It won't walk you through everything, but it gives you a good basis to work from to get your work out there AND make you money. I love it, and would recommend it to almost anyone looking to publish a book, or whom has recently been published.
Daryl Muranaka
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the book points out, information goes out of date at a rate of 2% a month. I found a couple of things that had changed, but that is a small thing compared to some of the really great ideas that they give that aren't subject to expiration. It's a good book to cheerlead you into starting your promotion.
A.L. Sowards
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
Probably a good book for writers of self-help books and other how-to books. I'm interested in promoting fiction, so it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but worth skimming through. I thought some of their 100 ideas were stretches, but if they want to change the title from 100 to 101, their 101st idea can be to use a copy-editor.
Vada K.  Belle
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. I'm astounded by how many people complain that this book is too out of date and doesn't apply to them. Are some things a little dated, yes, but I found that I could easily translate/bring into now each anachronism for today's marketing world. This book is inspiring, comprehensive, action-oriented...a must read for any author.
loafingcactus
This is not so much clever marking tricks as the basics of what you need to do to Grind It Out. If you aren't willing to do the work, you won't get the reward.

Some of the items are outdated, but the "with it" reader should be able to identify what those are.
Steve Goodyear
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
this was a pretty good read—it has a bunch of useful tips for self-promoting a book. The whole "Guerrilla" thing gets old quick though, and I would've liked some more depth on some key tips rather than rushing to stuff in an even 100.
Nate Jordon
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're an author, or have hopes of becoming one, this is a must-read. Containing a plethora of no-cost and small-cost strategies, Guerrilla Marketing for Writers will help you get your books sold and, most importantly, read.
Meredith Stoddard
Jul 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The information in this book was predicated on traditional publishing & pre-internet way of marketing. I admit that I couldn't finish it. I read about 100 pages and got so frustrated with the lack of new ideas that I literally threw it across the room.
Adam Graham
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Good for what it's worth. It really does stretch in a few places to get to "100 weapons" and can make some broad assumptions. However, it's a good resource. The most up to date edition would probably be better. The source list is worth the price of the book.
K.M. Weiland
Contains some interesting and inspiring marketing pointers, but for the most part it merely repeats old standby information and fills out the remainder of its touted "100 weapons" with such fluff as "Weapon #81: Your Enthusiasm," "Weapon #82: Your Sense of Humor," and "Weapon #88: Your Smiles."
Chris Stralyn
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Although it is aimed more at the non-fiction/self-help author than the fiction author, I thought it had a lot of good ideas that are worth trying.
Valerie Ihsan
Some good ideas, but most I'd heard already, or didn't apply to indie-publishing.
Chelle Cordero
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
this book has a lot of common sense ideas that will have you saying, of course, now why wasn't I doing that already?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing
  • Novelist's Boot Camp: 101 Ways to Take Your Book From Boring to Bestseller
  • Howdunit: How Crimes Are Committed and Solved
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book
  • How to Write a Non-fiction Ebook in 21 Days
  • Author 101 Bestselling Book Publicity: The Insider's Guide to Promoting Your Book--and Yourself
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • The Self Publishers Guide to Book Marketing: Step By Step Guide For Fiction and Non-Fiction Authors
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations