Start by marking “Memoirs of a Geezer: Music, Mayhem, Life” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Geezer: Music, Mayhem, Life

Memoirs of a Geezer: Music, Mayhem, Life

Written in his own unmistakable voice, this is a frank and fascinating account of a geezer's life in the music business. Jah Wobble begins by offering the most authentic insider's account of the beginning of punk rock yet written, but there's much more to him than that. His is an eventful life, as the celebrated ups - PiL's The Metal Box, 90s hit Visions Of You with Sinead ...more
Published September 24th 2009 by Serpent's Tail

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Geezer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Geezer

Start your review of Memoirs of a Geezer: Music, Mayhem, Life
Tosh
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Public Image Ltd has hooked me on Jah Wobble when I first heard “Public Image”. Johnny (Lydon) Rotten’s band right after the Sex Pistols. Punk was moving to another world, and Wobble and his bass was taking me to another part of the neighborhood. Also being aware of the visuals of the bands and artists (which for me is extremely important), Wobble had a great look. A two-day beard, a suit, and strong facial features. He also seemed to have a wild sense of humor.
30 years later he wrote his first
Jodi
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweetest guy. Sweet book.
Mark Love
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jah Wobble is a geezer. It's official. He was there, he did it, he did it some more, and he lived to tell the tale, and it's quite a tale.

From his schooldays with Johnny Rotten, through punk, post-punk (with Public Image Limited) and beyond it's a story of booze, drugs, fights, japes, more booze and always the deepest sonic basslines.

The writing isn't great, but the scenes he invoke are - especially from the perspective of his sober and spiritual middle-aged self (with wry reflections inserted
Edmole
Aug 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a good read, but Jah Wobble is a MASSIVE twat. Throughout the book he comes across as boorish, insecure, selfish, violent, unpleasant and pretentious, while continually accusing other people of being those things. He makes pathetic retractions of his awful behaviour which make it much worse. He has been disowned by his two daughters from his first marriage and you can see why.

Reminds me of the sort of awful men who start fights outside pubs on a Friday night under false pretexts and then
Mark
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ok, he could have used an editor to weed out his excessive use of "To be honest" and "I have to admit." However, this doesn't get in the way of fascinating stories about PiL, London, the English class system, the music business, and Jah Wobble's rough an tumble story from wise-ass alcoholic solo performer in the 80's to sober wise-ass prolific creator of an impressive batch of work in the next 20 years. For a non-Brit, a short glossary of English slang would be helpful.
Kerri
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I think I would have punched him too!
Steven
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Jah Wobble is a legendary bassist and hearing all about the punk scene and pil is wonderful. The book goes off track with Tower hamlets at the end, hence 4 stars
Emma
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Memoirs of a Geezer has everything I look for in an autobiography: honesty, engaging writing, and frankness over well-known (and some personal, lesser known) parts of its author's eventful life so far.

London (especially the East End) is central to these events. Wobble has a long family history association with the area and its waterways. His memories of schools, churches, homes, pubs, streets and local characters are richly drawn. He evidently continues to love the city: the pull of its rivers
Lee Osborne
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I first discovered Jah Wobble's work when I saw him at a festival in 1994, performing material from the stunning "Take Me To God" album. I didn't see him again until a concert in Glasgow last month, and I picked up a copy of this book from the merch stand.

It's a very interesting story of his youth, his discovery of music and involvement in the punk scene, leading on to his time with Public Image Ltd. He covers this in quite a lot of detail. He then goes on to his solo career and the ups and
Tuck
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
took me awhile to really figure out what a geezer is. this book would be fairly interesting for 70s 80s 90s 00s music fans, fans of east end and london. well written and does a good job of trying to look at the big picture in music biz and not hold too many grudges, but that said, Wooble IS A RIGHT GEEZER so does not hold back calling a cunt a cunt, and mixing it up with the Bangladeshy gangs invading his neighborhood when the need arises. has some good citations to good music and other good ...more
Chris Lilly
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply unpleasant and trivial exercise in name-dropping and being a professional Cockernee geezah. And numerous references to David Jaymes (his ex-manager) highlight the poptastic Modern Romance and ignore the wonderful and very East End Leyton Buzzards. His thoughts on Bangladeshi gang racism taking over his East End are deeply troubling, and unrecognisable to someone who lived in Tower Hamlets at the same time.
Dave
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nicely written, with a lot of humorous anecdotes. Wobble doesn't dwell too much on some of the more gritty moments in regard to drug use, or Sid Vicious' death (which is not mentioned at all). Some of that's been well covered everywhere under the sun. It's interesting to gain perspective on how his career moved along it's path and how certain decisions were made.
SL
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really funny. A good read.
Blake Nelson
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great descriptions of London and the early punk rock scene. Sid and John Lydon and the PiL days....
Devowasright
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, music
everything i want an autobiography to be. extremely well written, flows like a conversation, with all its little asides and branches, and the most random (and thus even funnier) splashes of wit.

Andrea
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not ghost written. Ought to have been.
Andrew Black
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book by a great bloke , real Londoners do still exist.
Kurt Reighley
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just as charming as the man and his music.
Gary Shindler
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
The book didn't keep my interest level up throughout. I found that the most interesting parts were the PIL years. Lydon's memoir is better.
Tom_w
Jan 17, 2014
Patrick
Jan 10, 2015
Finbar
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Red: My Autobiography
  • Jonny: My Autobiography
  • Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)
  • Keane:  The Autobiography
  • Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography
  • No Limits: My Autobiography
  • The Second Half
  • Froch: My Autobiography
  • Life
  • The Boys from Brazil
  • The Origin of Species
  • Dust to Dust (Kovac and Liska, #2)
  • The Forgotten Garden